first solo bottle calf help please

Help Support CattleToday:

Terry n Chelsey

Reaction score
we Purchased Our First Calf This Last Saturday About A 65# Holstein Angus Cross. We Drove An Hour To Pick Him Up Got Him Home. Vaccinated Him With Covexin 8, Tagged Him Abundances Him. We FedhHim A About A Quart Of Milk Replacer At Noon And A Second Quart Bottle About 7 Pm That Night. We Noticed His Poop Was Bright Yellow In Color And Soft Not Watery But I Figured As I Had Seen Scouts In The Past Growing Up We Needed To Keep A Close Eye On Him.sunday My Fianc Fed Him About 9 Am And We Fed Again At Around 4 Pm When I Got Home From Work A Quart Both Times. We Noticed His Poop Had Become Basically Water The Same Color Bright Yellow. So Off I Go ToA Farm Supply Store I Was Able To Get Some Re-Sorb. We Followed The Instructions To The T For The Next Two Days Monday And Tuesday His Poop Seemed To Stiffen Up And He Had Tons Of Energy. Day There We Introduced Milk Replacer Again With Resorb Mixed He Continued To Eat Well And Have Energy But Started To Pee Out His Butt Again So The Feed Store Recommended Scour Tabs We Gave Him Two Scour Tabs Last Night And Again This After Noon And A Shot Of La300 (2Cc) His Scouts Are Not Stiffening UP. He Is Drinking Fresh Water From A Pan, Eats Some Calf Starter (Less Than Half A Pound) Chews On Hay. He Seems To Have Plenty Of Energy Any Advice What To Do To Get Rid Of These Scours? Maybe To Point I Just Need To Call The Vet?

Terry n Chelsey":1qaidy4g said:
we Purchased Our First Calf This Last Saturday About A 65# Holstein Angus Cross. We Drove An Hour To Pick Him Up Got Him Home. Vaccinated Him With Covexin 8, Tagged Him Abundances Him. We FedhHim A About A Quart Of Milk Replacer At Noon And A Second Quart Bottle About 7 Pm That Night. We Noticed His Poop Was Bright Yellow In Color And Soft Not Watery But I Figured As I Had Seen Scouts In The Past Growing Up We Needed To Keep A Close Eye On Him.sunday My Fianc Fed Him About 9 Am And We Fed Again At Around 4 Pm When I Got Home From Work A Quart Both Times. We Noticed His Poop Had Become Basically Water The Same Color Bright Yellow. So Off I Go ToA Farm Supply Store I Was Able To Get Some Re-Sorb. We Followed The Instructions To The T For The Next Two Days Monday And Tuesday His Poop Seemed To Stiffen Up And He Had Tons Of Energy. Day There We Introduced Milk Replacer Again With Resorb Mixed He Continued To Eat Well And Have Energy But Started To Pee Out His Butt Again So The Feed Store Recommended Scour Tabs We Gave Him Two Scour Tabs Last Night And Again This After Noon And A Shot Of La300 (2Cc) His Scouts Are Not Stiffening UP. He Is Drinking Fresh Water From A Pan, Eats Some Calf Starter (Less Than Half A Pound) Chews On Hay. He Seems To Have Plenty Of Energy Any Advice What To Do To Get Rid Of These Scours? Maybe To Point I Just Need To Call The Vet?

The VET may or may not help. Most vets deal with dogs and cats these days. Our ONE large animal vet will not work with any calves that come from a sale barn. Period. If you know a large animal vet, call him/her.

A quart is not enough. Never seen a calf take less than a half gallon at a feeding. So my question is are you mixing a normal feeding into only a quart bottle? If so, you are going way to rich.

What type of milk replacer are you using? There are a bunch of them out there for sale that are not worth anything. Buy the right kind. Their digestion systems are not genetically designed to process some of the vegetable based replacers.

For new calves that I am bottle feeding or grafting to a nurse cow, I generally give them a complete rub down with a towel before I expose them. I try to immulate a cow bathing her calf. That towel rub gets them all invigorated. It is amazing. Calves that reject a bottle will take to it eagerly after a towel massage. After a day or two, I don't bother with massages any more. The bond is there. With the new calves you are feeling their structures while you are massaging anyway.

If you made a mistake and said "quart" instead of half gallon, you are using a good replacer, it sounds like you are on the right track.

Natural calves nursing their momma's will often scour some. I have seen really bad cases in the pastures. Enough to give you concern.

There is no telling what that calf was exposed to prior to you getting it.

Way too many things to know and way too many questions to try to assess an ailment in this format.

Is his temperature normal?

Stop Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word.
It makes your post maddeningly painful to attempt to read.

I agree if you are putting the full amount of replacer in with a quart of water u are going to rich. if its not that an he actually has a problem he needs to be treated. are vet has recommended baytril along with sustain III boluses. it knocked it right out a them but u will gave to gave ur vet prescribe baytril to u or u won't be able to use it.

Lucky_P":2mdjmo08 said:

whY woulD thaT botheR yoU ? doeS thiS looK betteR tO yoU ?

No, not better.
This one's been weighing on my mind. I usually TRY to be helpful whenever possible, but here come Terry/Chelsey with their first question on this board, and I take them to task for spelling/formatting. I didn't mean to come off as rude to them.
Sorry. Just couldn't get past the Capitalization to glean the gist of the question. Made my head hurt.

ohiobeef":2rooyksy said:
Lucky_P":2rooyksy said:

whY woulD thaT botheR yoU ? doeS thiS looK betteR tO yoU ?
That's funny, I bearly noticed the first letter being capitalized on every word, but doing it to the last makes it hard to read for me.

Terry n Chelsey":wj6hadog said:

Continue supplementing with electrolytes for as long as the calf is scouring.
As long as the calf is bouncing around and eager to drink, don't worry.
You should be seeing some improvement in the dung by now. He sounds like a perfectly normal calf with a viral infection who will mainly need the electrolyte support to prevent dehydration while he recovers.
Quality milk replacer and re-introduce in small quantities - calf needs 5% of its weight per feed, twice a day but right now guts are irritated by scours and a half feed, then electrolyte 4 - 6 hours later, is one way of transitioning them back onto the milk diet. Preferably they should be back to full milk feeding rates within four days of starting scouring.

Latest posts