First time doing AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
Just did our first AI this morning. Ran 18 head through. All 3 to 6 yo cows on a 7 and 7 protocol. Used the following bulls.

CONSENSUS 237AN2199
EMBLEM 29AN2247
POLARIS 29AN2252
TRUE NORTH 29AN2144

Now to wait.and see how well they took to it.

Just did our first AI this morning. Ran 18 head through. All 3 to 6 yo cows on a 7 and 7 protocol. Used the following bulls.

CONSENSUS 237AN2199
EMBLEM 29AN2247
POLARIS 29AN2252
TRUE NORTH 29AN2144

I hope they do well for you, they look like good bulls. It is exciting to see the results. Did you do the inseminations yourself?

Ken

Planning to take a class and try to do it myself next year.
It's great you want to learn. However, I would get the same AI tech next year if you're happy with the results. Take the class and try to breed one here or there. It would be unreasonable to expect a newbie to breed 18 cows in a single shot. ...just my opinion

It's great you want to learn. However, I would get the same AI tech next year if you're happy with the results. Take the class and try to breed one here or there. It would be unreasonable to expect a newbie to breed 18 cows in a single shot. ...just my opinion
Yes I agree 100% moses.
Adam, take a class, get the same inseminator in next year, buy some estrotect patches and put on them and then you have a go with those that come back on heat. There should be a few for you to do and they should be spread over a few days so the pressure won't be on you. As you gain confidence in your ability you can move up to the main event. If you have an understanding inseminator they may stand by you to help with some in the first group.
My big message to people starting out doing AI is to avoid situations that put pressure on you.

Ken

Yes I agree 100% moses.
Adam, take a class, get the same inseminator in next year, buy some estrotect patches and put on them and then you have a go with those that come back on heat. There should be a few for you to do and they should be spread over a few days so the pressure won't be on you. As you gain confidence in your ability you can move up to the main event. If you have an understanding inseminator they may stand by you to help with some in the first group.
My big message to people starting out doing AI is to avoid situations that put pressure on you.

Ken
Ken i am planning on doing it that way. Work my way into it slowly.

the 7 plus 7 is the best protocol that I have seen for TAI. did you watch to see what percent were showing signs of heat? Once you get through your class and feel comfortable doing your AI breeding, you will probably have a better conception rate if you breed on visible signs of heat. hope your first time meets all your expectations and AI continues to be your breeding preference. i think you will see a better group of calves with the AI calves.

the 7 plus 7 is the best protocol that I have seen for TAI. did you watch to see what percent were showing signs of heat? Once you get through your class and feel comfortable doing your AI breeding, you will probably have a better conception rate if you breed on visible signs of heat. hope your first time meets all your expectations and AI continues to be your breeding preference. i think you will see a better group of calves with the AI calves.
I saw several with signs. We had one with a huge glob of mucus going from her tail to the ground when he started working on her.
What all signs do you look for.

Standing to be ridden is #1.
Subtle signs: clear mucous discharge - swollen vulva - perky - trying to ride other cattle - ruffled tail head - if a heifer, she may stay off to the side watching others riding. Did I mention PERKY??? You can usually tell you have a cow in heat as soon as you see your herd. Head up, walking with purpose, mooing, smelling others - PERKY.
Edit: Get yourself some Estrotech tags and/or tail paint. These are TOOLS. They do not totally replace your EYES.

Accurate heat detection is one of the most important parts of an AI program. I basically plan to live with mine for a week after we pull CIDRs. The bulk of the cows came into standing heat on days 2, 3 and 4. However, when I got down to 6-7 head on day 5, I was ready to let the bull have them, but that afternoon 3 were standing and riding each other and the last two were just starting to ride the others. The last one to come into heat still had an uncompromised sticker appearing to have never come into heat, but I suspect she was not in standing heat until the others went out of heat, so she never got ridden. If I hadn't seen her start riding other cows, I would have assumed she never came into heat and would have missed her, especially since we were on day 5 late in the day.

Yes, I also "live" with the cows when heat checking. I check at dawn, dusk, and twice in between. I do use the tools - Estrotect & tail paint - but - these are TOOLS to help you find the ones in heat. You also need other subtle signs. I don't like putting $50 semen (or more) into a cow that I only see a tag "mostly" scratched off.

I saw several with signs. We had one with a huge glob of mucus going from her tail to the ground when he started working on her.
What all signs do you look for.
I like to walk through the herd early in the morning when it is dark out just to look for a mucus discharge when they are laying down. easy to see with reflection of the flashlight. then I watch for the normal signs of heat (smelling other cows, trying to ride, in a group with others riding, increased bawling, anything that is unusual I guess.) I use heat detector patches since I also work 10 hour days off farm. I have about 25-35 cows and synchronize first group that are 50 days or more post calving. I try to synchronize next group 3 weeks after first to help catch cows that did not settle. very seldom breed TAI and do my own AIing. I watch for a bloody discharge on cows that did not show signs of heat. If I see that I will sync with next group and TAI if no signs of heat which is not very often. hope some of my techniques help you in your herd as well. good luck

What all signs do you look for.h

CONSENSUS 237AN2199
EMBLEM 29AN2247
POLARIS 29AN2252
TRUE NORTH 29AN2144

ow did your cows come out? Did most of them take?

when a cow does come in heat, what is the window of time?
A cow's natural estrus cycle is 21 days, but can vary from 18 to 24 days.
1 day?, 2 days? a week?
A cow has a secondary heat ("mini heat") every 7 days. There is a small hormone-level increase associated with a mini heat. A cow will not breed on a mini heat. More like she is preparing for the primary heat that occurs every 21 days. So you would see 2 mini heats and then the primary heat on day 21. Two days after insemination, you want to see blood on the cow's tail. ... Say you find fresh blood on a tail. To predict the next heat, backup 2 days and then go ahead 3 weeks on a calendar. That's the next day to watch for signs of heat/estrus.

from what you are saying, it sounds like we got a one day window every 21 days. I might not be there every time (I leave days at a time for work). but it would not take long before I would be there on the right day.

I guess now I would need to know if I could store the semen in my own freezer? is that even cold enough?

Does anybody know where to get good Wagu semen?

You'll
from what you are saying, it sounds like we got a one day window every 21 days. I might not be there every time (I leave days at a time for work). but it would not take long before I would be there on the right day.

I guess now I would need to know if I could store the semen in my own freezer? is that even cold enough?

Does anybody know where to get good Wagu semen?
Need a nitrogen dewer to store the semen.

No your refrigerator is no where close enough to hold semen. Like -420F
Have you contacted anyone to BREED your cow?

First thing, find a breeder in your area. If you have a dairy near by, find out who services their farm.
There's ABS, Genex, Select Sires, etc.
Who ever he works for, he should have a semen book or go online to see what beef bulls they carry.