Frusterated

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
How do you get a kid to remember to always put his name on a test or an assignment ? :mad:

The 12 year old has been horrible about this since he came here b last year they did not penalize for this. This year in grade 7 if their name is not on an assignment etc they are docked 50% or are simply given a zero by the one teacher .

Personally I think this is a retarded action as the high school kids get all year to hand in an incomplete assignment without any consequences at all .

Docking him or giving him a zero does the opposite effect , he is frustrated that he worked his butt off on something and then he forgets one little thing he gets no credit for the assignment at all. I have explained that now he has a small class so it is somewhat simple to find out the owner of the paper but later on in life the pool will be bigger and if his name is not on it no one will even know he did the work. He is 12 so it is not sinking in over night ,and I am trying very hard to change bad habits that have been developed over the first 5 years in school before he was here with us .

I have really had it with our education system, the Catholic system especially . They have passed children into the next grade when they do not know basic grammar and cannot even form a simple sentence . I fear for our future, what is to become of us if we are left with a bunch of dumb dumbs in control . Also it seems that some of the teachers really do not give a shytt anymore . They do their 5 hours in school a day and then the parents are to do all of the rest . I do not get paid to be an educator, they are and I am a little sick and tired of their lackadaisical attitudes .

The kid should follow the rules if he wants credit. Hes got to learn there are consequences to his action or lack of actions. He just needs to get in the habit of writing his name and whatever else the teachers want on his work. No different from any reports or such in a workplace environment

I will write my name on my papers

if ya know what I mean. he should write this one hundred times tonight and tomorrow he will not forget.

M5farm":3m440xmv said:

if ya know what I mean. he should write this one hundred times tonight and tomorrow he will not forget.

I was thinking of tattooing it on the back of his hand M5 . :roll: I will have him do that ,but perhaps a thousand times may make it leave more of an impression. :lol:

The poor kid. I know I am really tough on him and strict but, I really do have his best interest at heart and I do see the potential he has in him. I guess he will lose his electronics again for a month , and he just got them back the other day . He was grounded for 2 months and lost all of his "electronic gadgets" when I found out he was stealing my wifi . Btw I just got the bill, it is 75$ in overages because of that.

Impress on him (there a number of ways of doing that) that the very first thing you do is write your name on the paper. Before doing any work on the assignment write your name. Once that is done you can start working on the assignment.

hillsdown":1dthi2s9 said:
M5farm":1dthi2s9 said:

I was thinking of tattooing it on the back of his hand M5 . :roll: I will have him do that ,but perhaps a thousand times may make it leave more of an impression. :lol:

The poor kid. I know I am really tough on him and strict but, I really do have his best interest at heart and I do see the potential he has in him. I guess he will lose his electronics again for a month , and he just got them back the other day . He was grounded for 2 months and lost all of his "electronic gadgets" when I found out he was stealing my wifi . Btw I just got the bill, it is 75$ in overages because of that.
It does not have to be severe and another way instead of taking away his electronics have him write his name on the electronics and explain that when he owns something he should want people to know who it belongs to. I also suspect he has chores to do instead of telling him write each chore on a piece of paper and have him sign it when done. BTW Most all kids have this issue in school.

I like what Dave said. Write your name on the paper before you do anything else. I can see the importance of the teacher telling them to write their name on their work. It is a responsibility lesson and teaches him to do much more than just writing his name down. Doing the work is great, and I give him an A+++ for that. But something is not sticking in his mind to write his name.
It is a lesson on completing the task. There are some things in life if we leave off one step or one process, it could be really bad. So this will be a great for him once he can do this automatically.

I had much rather this be the problem than not being able to do the homework. Or being 17 years old and still not being able to tell time. :lol2:

Hey, this is like leaving the house and not remembering if you left a heater on or did you unplug the iron? Leaving the house and forgetting the address you wrote down to your destination, or a map......

You are a good Mom, and you will help him through this just fine!

Latest posts