Heart Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

One at 15 where the tech said "Oh I don't like this" and left me in the room by myself to think about that! Turned out it was fine, my repair was something he'd never seen. This one was not my favorite. The tech didn't know everything she was doing so got her super to finish it.
I have a friend who was walked on pretty good by a bull. They had to put in a replacement aorta. He was resting in the hospital bed with his Mom beside him. Suddenly the monitor reading his heart beat went flat line. His Mom went ballistic. He is laying there thinking I feel fine but is this it? Someone had unplugged something at the nurses station which shut off the monitor. He was fine. But his Mom nearly died.

When my son was younger we went in for his annual check up. They always do an echo then you go in the room and the Dr comes in and talks it over. It had always been the same for years so there wasn't much to talk about.

One time, we are sitting there and this Dr comes in with a big file and starts in to like... OK, what we have going on is.... we are going to have to start... You could just tell even he was like in crisis management mode. My son was freaked out, his mom, and me also but I was a little skeptical that it changed so fast.

I stopped him and was like... wait.. wait.. how does this just progress so fast? We were told it would be a long term detioriation type deal. That sounds like some thing totally new. Where does it come from?

He reads the charts a second and says... what's your son's name?😳

He had the wrong room. It was this instant sigh of relief but then you think about how some other family and kid is about to get that news for real. It was a roller-coaster of emotions to say the least.

I appreciate your concern over your condition. I worked in Cardiac Rehab for 8 years before retirement. Techniques are changing rapidly. What was normal procedure 8 years ago is now obsolete. Thankfully your condition has been discovered and you will get the valve replacement you need. They are done routinely and with great success. My best suggestion is following your cardiologist advice to a T after the replacement. If he wants you to regain your strength with monitored rehab, do it. You won't regret it in the long run. This is just my humble opinion and you have my prayers.

I got a call yesterday and the MRI is canceled. It was supposed to be Friday, but there is an issue with the tech they want to do it not working and a specific radiologist being out this week as well. I'm very frustrated b/c I've been trying to keep my morale up, but I realize that I want this done correctly. I hate it when this stuff happens.

I got a call yesterday and the MRI is canceled. It was supposed to be Friday, but there is an issue with the tech they want to do it not working and a specific radiologist being out this week as well. I'm very frustrated b/c I've been trying to keep my morale up, but I realize that I want this done correctly. I hate it when this stuff happens.
Yes, you wanted it done right. I went in for a heart ablasion and half way through, the machine shut down. I have half an ablasion and am still having to use a channel blocker for the arrhythmia. Prayers for a successful MRI. 🙏

I finally had my MRI Friday. It was probably one of my least favorite life experiences. I did pretty for the first part, but it just got long. I have no idea how long I was in the tube, but from what I can tell getting the IV put in and being pulled out a couple times, it was over an 1:15. They pulled me out to administer the contrast. Then pulled me out again to check my IV b/c I felt a drip (just some extra juice on the end that trickled off). I had to be pulled out again b/c the contrast flushed my system and I thought I was going to pee on the table.

I'm not sure when the results are coming in. I had the monitor sent in about 8 weeks ago, and I haven't heard from that. I'm assuming that I'll get my results when I meet with my MD next year, unless things are more urgent than previously expected.

I hope you get good results. I had to do one of those a few years ago and was concerned since I have a little trouble with claustrophobia. Fortunately it didn't bother me. I think I could have slept through it if it wasn't so noisy.

Those CT scans with contrast when they inject the contrast sure can cause a warm feeling. You need to drink plenty of liquids ASAP to try and flush the contrast out.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with this for some time. In June I got a call that the MD wanted to bring my case in front of a panel of 19 MD's. It was at this meeting that they determined I needed a valve replacement NOW rather than later. Apparently I'm at 43% regurgitation. Huge surprise to me since I really have no symptoms. In about a month, I will be headed to have this done. I needed to have a CT done to measure the valve, so I had one done in July. That was messed up, and needed another to get it done properly. This was done a couple weeks ago. I'm a rad tech in real life, and radiation doesn't really get me too excited, but honestly, 2 CT's in a month is really not my idea of a good time. I got the call last week that the second one worked and that we're a go. So, here we go on this life adventure. Should be one night in the hospital. Another in town to make sure I'm OK and then I head home. Not really my idea of a good time, but it will keep the good times rolling.

I've been struggling with this for some time. In June I got a call that the MD wanted to bring my case in front of a panel of 19 MD's. It was at this meeting that they determined I needed a valve replacement NOW rather than later. Apparently I'm at 43% regurgitation. Huge surprise to me since I really have no symptoms. In about a month, I will be headed to have this done. I needed to have a CT done to measure the valve, so I had one done in July. That was messed up, and needed another to get it done properly. This was done a couple weeks ago. I'm a rad tech in real life, and radiation doesn't really get me too excited, but honestly, 2 CT's in a month is really not my idea of a good time. I got the call last week that the second one worked and that we're a go. So, here we go on this life adventure. Should be one night in the hospital. Another in town to make sure I'm OK and then I head home. Not really my idea of a good time, but it will keep the good times rolling.
So I opted for open heart and a titanium valve. My relatives young age and being otherwise healthy the surgeon recommended it versus a tissue valve. It should never have to be redone.
Anyways 9 days in ICU and 7 months later there's absolutely nothing I used to do that I can't do now. Only difference is I feel better than I've felt in 10 years.
It was a very good thing for me so far.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, yet, but I do have a couple close family friends that have had a new valve installed. They both said they felt fine before the operation. Afterwards, they have both remarked that they didn't realize how bad they felt.

They both said they felt 10-20 years younger, just like fence man.

Go in with a grin. Come out with a great big smile!

I'm not speaking from personal experience, yet, but I do have a couple close family friends that have had a new valve installed. They both said they felt fine before the operation. Afterwards, they have both remarked that they didn't realize how bad they felt.

They both said they felt 10-20 years younger, just like fence man.

Go in with a grin. Come out with a great big smile!
Thank you, I think this is going to end up being a fantastic thing. I'm just nervous going into it. There's a lot riding on this. Thankfully, this is an extremely safe procedure.

Had my procedure last Wednesday. I passed with flying colors! Drove to Salt Lake City the day before, had it, was discharged on Thursday and drove home Friday. It's absolutely amazing. I met with my cardiologist yesterday who said I have 0 restrictions. Only issue I'm having is that I'm having arrhythmia's here and there so I'm on beta blockers. They feel like those should subside as the heart gets used to its new hardware and I'll be off those hopefully in a few weeks. I can notice a decrease in frequency for those in the past week, so I'm hopeful to be off the beta blockers soon.

Latest posts