Heifers did not calf this season - Keep or Sell???

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
This past year I had a seasoned bull together with my 15 cows and 6 heifers for a little over 3 months. All 15 cows and 4 heifers calved OK. Two (2) of the heifers did not have a calf. Should I give these 2 good looking Angus heifers another try this season with a different bull or sell them later this summer when I sell off this seasons calves?

As long as you kept them until now, and if you have the feed. Why not put them with the bull again. Does seem odd that two open after three months with a bull. This time preg test after the breeding season, so if their open you won't have to feed over winter.

But on the other hand, good open heifers will bring a good price. With a little shopping you may be able to buy a couple breds for about the same money.

TNcowman":16i7a10d said:
This past year I had a seasoned bull together with my 15 cows and 6 heifers for a little over 3 months. All 15 cows and 4 heifers calved OK. Two (2) of the heifers did not have a calf. Should I give these 2 good looking Angus heifers another try this season with a different bull or sell them later this summer when I sell off this seasons calves?

I'd put them with the bull and sell them as bred later this summer. If they won't check as bred by the time you're ready to sell them, something's probably wrong with them.

id turn them back with the bull an see if they wont breed.an if they are bred or not id sale them.they shouldve gotten bred in your breeding season.

Let me see if I have this right. 2 slow or non-breeding heifers being held over to try to breed and if the do settle, then unload them on someone not aware that they may have a breeding issue.
Sounds perfectly logical to me as long as integrity isn;t an issue

dun

I go with Dun on this one!

IMO, sell them and sell them now as Golden Arch Steakhouse specials even if they are "good looking". "Looks" don't pay the bills, calves do.
SL

If they look good and you bred them young, I'd give them a go again the preg check. Otherwise, I'd get rid of them.

If your in a not high need of replacements get rid of them but if you need all you got then make it work or at least give them a second shot heifers do lose calves so its what ever best works for you
- Isaac V

vs_cattle":9chdek35 said:
If your in a not high need of replacements get rid of them but if you need all you got then make it work or at least give them a second shot heifers do lose calves so its what ever best works for you
- Isaac V
Ditto on the heifers, you're not going to get a 100% success rate on pregs the first go.

CowpokeJ":2k079efq said:
vs_cattle":2k079efq said:
- Isaac V
Ditto on the heifers, you're not going to get a 100% success rate on pregs the first go.

During the 90 days the bull was with them they had 4-5 chances to settle. Any heifer or cow that doesn;t settle in that time frame will just introduce more fertility/conception problems if heifers are kept from them

dun

I don't think it was the bulls fault as he got the rest of them pregnant. You can't even say he was overworked and they got missed because they were low in the herd pecking order. It is possible that they got pregnant right away and aborted due to a fight or fall, something not their fault. How old were they when you tried to breed them?
If they were 14+ months old I think I would just get rid of them. If you insist on giving them a second chance then give them two heats to get pregnant if they can't do it then sell them on as meat. dun is right, the last thing you or anyone else needs is infertility problems being kept in their herd.

No brainer, they are gone.

Second choice, you keep them and learn over the next few years what a lack of fertility can bring to a herd.

I got no problem with you taking them to the barn, if somebody is herdbuilding from the salebarn they deserve what they get.

dun":1pslrqlt said:
During the 90 days the bull was with them they had 4-5 chances to settle. Any heifer or cow that doesn;t settle in that time frame will just introduce more fertility/conception problems if heifers are kept from them

dun

I was thinking the same.

The heifers had ample time to be bred and settle. I had one like that at one time, she went for a ride.

However, they are your animals and its your decision.

Katherine

Latest posts