Hog hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
For 5 or 6 years, my nephew & I have taken a vacation to Kauai, one of the Hawaii islands. This past spring obviously it got cancelled. Still unable to go to HI this year. So, I have plane tickets to use up. We were thinking about going to TX or OK for a hog hunt. I see TX does not require us to get a license.
Anyone got info on a hunting guide/private land? Recommend a guide - ballpark prices - requirements - any info???? This would be for 2 hunters.

Florida was also a hot spot when we lived down there a few years ago. 24/7/365 no age or licence required with a guide to hunt them. Being resident at the time, we did without the guides. I enjoyed stalking them with my bow and my son would rather wait on the edge of the fields with a 44 mag. His first was when he was about 12 years old. Made for some nice bbq sandwiches.

Anyone know of an outfit they trust? would recommend. There are some trips being raffled off for "The Patriot bid for the Kids" for Texas.
They are listing 3C Ranch, Walber family and Leifeste Cattle Co, Little River, E of Cameron, TX

These are the guys that have my place leased. Ducks are there big thing but they do thermal hog hunts also.

As far as other things to do. Ft. Worth and all that it brings is 75 miles North. Lots of western heritage stuff to do there. Covid hasn't shut down much around here.

They are mostly nocturnal but you see some during the early morning and just before dusk. If you have a feeder going at a certain time, they will learn when the dinner bell rings. Most folks have their feeder go off about an hour before dark.

You gotta stretch them with dogs and knife them in a camo bikini for full effect, I saw it on youtube. I expect the same quality of video from you and your nephew Jeanne. He can wear a one piece if he is shy. LOL!

If you like excitement and action I would think dog hunting would be the way to do it but I like to hunt anything with hounds. Anyway you choose to do it I hope you have a great hunt. I have thought about it for some off season fun but usually have used up all my wife's patience with me by the time I get to the end of bear season.

Nephew & I gun hunt whitetail deer here on my farm every year. Rhode Island family comes for a week for Thanksgiving and my sister & niece do all the cleaning & cooking - I get to hunt all I want with the guys. Fits me just fine!!! (NOT a dolly-domestic).
So, love to hunt - just thought this would be something fun to do. And I have airplane $$ just sitting on account because our Kauai trip got cancelled.
@SmokinM neither nephew or I are shy!

Wait until Feb or March so most the deer hunters have cleared out. Your odds will greatly increase, especially for daylight hunting.

Night hunting with thermals will increase your odds and quality of hogs drastically.

Hunting with dogs is fun and will give you an opportunity to see some country.

There are some major differences between ETX, the southern gulf coast, WTX, etc. Not sure how long it would take to see it all.

If we do this, it will be in May. We will AI for 42 days, then this year I am going to lease back a bull we raised, showed, and sold, for 30 days. We will take our 5 days for our Stars & Stripes Sale 1st week in May, then "a trip" - somewhere.
Hunting with dogs does sound exciting - but I don't think I want to "see Texas" walking across it chasing dogs!!! I am 73. I get around great and walk A LOT, but walking/running to keep up with dogs is not my idea of fun!! LOL I may be visualizing this method totally wrong.

If we do this, it will be in May. We will AI for 42 days, then this year I am going to lease back a bull we raised, showed, and sold, for 30 days. We will take our 5 days for our Stars & Stripes Sale 1st week in May, then "a trip" - somewhere.
Hunting with dogs does sound exciting - but I don't think I want to "see Texas" walking across it chasing dogs!!! I am 73. I get around great and walk A LOT, but walking/running to keep up with dogs is not my idea of fun!! LOL I may be visualizing this method totally wrong.
A lot of the dog hunters here cover most of the ground in a UTV.
As Brute said night hunting increases your odds.
That said I shoot a lot of hogs in daylight hours .
These are coming into a feeder in my pasture with a motion light. This is how I shoot most out of a box stand.
I posted this big boar picture a few days ago.
My neighbor shot this one in the evening before dark coming to a deer feeder.

Attachments

• 4825F726-3237-4A54-A402-DC6C9F7349D3.jpeg
    4825F726-3237-4A54-A402-DC6C9F7349D3.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 3655F32A-4A8B-45C3-8639-77E2C4E3AB1D.jpeg
    3655F32A-4A8B-45C3-8639-77E2C4E3AB1D.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 18
Fort Worth, Texas stockyards might be a pretty neat visit. They run longhorns down the street twice daily. There's shops, restaurants, and a neat atmosphere. Lot of history of the cattle business.

Here's a link to info: Fort Worth, Texas stockyards.

If you decide to come this way, let me know and we could fix you lunch here or we could meet and have mexican food at Joe T Garcia's (we are about 45 minutes west of the stockyards). ft worth stockyards.jpg

Hog hunting comes in all forms from still hunting from a tree stand or ground blind watching a corn feeder to dog hunting to hanging out of the side door of a helicopter with a semi auto rifle blasting hogs as they are chased across fields. Search the Internet for "Helicopter Hog Hunting" and you can see the videos. I believe Texas has the highest population of marauding feral wild hogs. Most ranchers, farmers, and other land owners consider them vermin and are happy to get rid of them any way possible.

IDK - that doesn't sound like "hunting". My nephew has experience with the dog hunts. Said the dogs get the hog stopped and you stab them. He also said a lot of dogs get injured. Hogs are vicious. His native friends in Kauai used to hunt that way. Also, they would set up a 50 gallon drum, closed end downhill, open end up hill. Bait them & wait for a hog to get stuck in the barrel. They would wait for the squealing! They had holes in the barrel that they could reach in & stab them.

Latest posts