I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Sad situation for sure coming... train wreck is putting it mildly... 30 acres stockpiled will last 25 bred heifers about a month if lucky in that cold winter... they will be eating their heads off due to not being acclimated... he//, we figure 1-2 acres per head in good growing season.... and we rotate on pastures...
HOLY COW.... hate these know it all idiots.... that are 2 hours away from any disasters happening... and even if not your kind of cattle... NO ONE wants to see any animal starving or in bad shape......

Sad situation for sure coming... train wreck is putting it mildly... 30 acres stockpiled will last 25 bred heifers about a month if lucky in that cold winter... they will be eating their heads off due to not being acclimated... he//, we figure 1-2 acres per head in good growing season.... and we rotate on pastures...
HOLY COW.... hate these know it all idiots.... that are 2 hours away from any disasters happening... and even if not your kind of cattle... NO ONE wants to see any animal starving or in bad shape......
Ok, dark humor here (I'm sorry) The cows will be holy, they will have angel wings.

There is 600-700 feet of access to the river. So it would depend on how the strips are laid out. My guess is he is planning on moving the electric fence once a week. But one couldn't just stop the fence at the river or the cows will walk around it. Taking it across the river will get interesting in the winter. Also some portions of the river do freeze in the winter. I never looked at the portion he has access to because I have had no reason to.

He is down stream from me. And borders me in an area I would very rarely go to this time of the year. He is at the end of the road and over a ridge from the neighbors below him. Nobody has what you would call a close view of his place except me from a place I have no reason to go to. Part of the field my cows are in is across the river from him but there is a fairly dense stand of cottonwood and willows along my side of the river which block the view.

He also is on the wrong side of some neighbors by announcing that he was going to pump water on to another 30 acres which hasn't been watered in 30+ years. And never with water out of the ditch. I don't think he knows how serious water wars can get in desert country
Well that could get ugly in a hurry. You have a good ditch rider you are friendly with? Not sure how they do things in your neck of the woods but in SD the irrigation district would be all over that.

Well that could get ugly in a hurry. You have a good ditch rider you are friendly with? Not sure how they do things in your neck of the woods but in SD the irrigation district would be all over that.
No such thing as a ditch rider here. Small loosely formed group with 9 operations on the ditch. We all try to get along.

If I were to keep cattle in a place where I couldn't check them more than once a week, cheap criollo type cattle would be the only ones there. Something that's hardy and cheap enough that if I lost a few it wouldn't be that big a deal. There's no way I'd try to calve out heifers in a place I couldn't put eyes on them twice a day, and even then disaster can still happen. I've had calving problems happen between the time I checked before work and after work or before bed and morning that ended badly.

If I were to keep cattle in a place where I couldn't check them more than once a week, cheap criollo type cattle would be the only ones there. Something that's hardy and cheap enough that if I lost a few it wouldn't be that big a deal. There's no way I'd try to calve out heifers in a place I couldn't put eyes on them twice a day, and even then disaster can still happen. I've had calving problems happen between the time I checked before work and after work or before bed and morning that ended badly.
If would be hard for me to have bred heifers that far away, I did have some corriente heifers a few years back a little farther than that, but we didn't have any problems, plus I had a guy checking them.

We all get a big head now and again when we think "I got this" when we are in over our head or just afloat. Some times it works out ...and others, not so much. The difference is that successful people listen to advice, may not use it but open to options.

Maybe you can turn him onto a cattle board where he could get lot of good advice and a little bs.... or vice versa. Hmmm let's think where we could he could find one like that. Could mail him advice without a return address. He may tell people it was his idea, as you smile in silence.

Dumb people need to learn and the best lessons come from failure/bad experience. Otherwise, one stays dumb their entire life.
It is sometimes possible to acquire knowledge from the failures/bad experiences of others, but wisdom is more preciously and bitterly bought.
Let him be hoist by his own petard.

We calve crossbred heifers all the time with no one watching. It's not about breed.

Cattle that have some one always watching them... require some one to always be watching them.

Latest posts