Identify this tool

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, it's not an old as in antique tool. It's galvanized and not been used much by the condition of it. There is apparently an attachment that can have the angle adjusted by the spurs on one end.

I think it a factory made tool. I can't tell by the picture, so I'd have to go out to look, but I think it's made by vice grip co.

I'd guess it has something with work pulling wiring.

I found those here: https://linestar.ca/hot-line-tools/hot-stick-accessories/tool-heads/hastings-universal-vice-grips/

But I couldn't find anything on how it is used, although I did try.
You probably won't but they are used with these:
clamps.jpg

The tool in the opening post didn't originally come that way. The 2 open end wrench looking parts each do the same thing, but one may be a different size than the other and one was welded to the vice grips by someone (look close and you can see the weld) and the other came with the tool.. They held the bolt part of the split nut and a regular wrench was used to fit the nut. They were commonly used to tighten 3 bolt terminal splices.

The threaded part on the bottom of the handle is used to separate the top type clamp in the picture and, to spread apart a split bolt a little once the nut is tightened down on the electric conductor. They used to do that to help prevent the nut from backing off.
Linemen used them more than commercial electricians.
The loop on the end was for tightening pole steps.

polesteps.jpg
Look around in the same barn. You may find one of these. They were used for the same purpose.

linman.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts