Is this hiefer Beefmaster, Brangus or .....?

Help Support CattleToday:

No good way to know especially looking at a pic but I'll throw my .02 in.

I'd almost say that sucker was bred to a red Brahman bull. That's ALOT of ear and its pretty leggy from a cow like that. It took more than a Brangus or Beefmaster bull to put that much ear and leg on that calf IMO.

We have quite a few Brangus X cows that look like that cow. Even the Brangus bulls that lean more Brahman and our Tiger Stripe bull don't put that much ear and leg on them.

Don't think that calf is 50/50 but it's close.... again IMO... which has zero value. :kid:

To me, the cow looks like she's on the Angus side of Brangus. Nice pair, either way!

My.02 cents with that red calf out of that black cow there is no telling what is in her woodpile of DNA.
I agree with Brute the calf is Brahman influenced from some where in the woodpile.
Wouldn't bet on a Brahman sire as Brahman genetics are strong.

Brute 23":39tmzpqd said:
No good way to know especially looking at a pic but I'll throw my .02 in.

I'd almost say that sucker was bred to a red Brahman bull. That's ALOT of ear and its pretty leggy from a cow like that. It took more than a Brangus or Beefmaster bull to put that much ear and leg on that calf IMO.

We have quite a few Brangus X cows that look like that cow. Even the Brangus bulls that lean more Brahman and our Tiger Stripe bull don't put that much ear and leg on them.

Don't think that calf is 50/50 but it's close.... again IMO... which has zero value. :kid:
i sure don't know much at all and appreciate your 2 cents absolutely ....i just researched the heck out of Brahman, Beefmaster, then Brangus and the baby Beefmasters look exactly like this little heifer, Brahman calves look very different but i could be way off - her growing up will tell us . thank you much for response

Caustic Burno-- im totally confused by your last sentence..... so your thinking maybe her Brahman is in the sire before the last or?
i did research looking at calves for Brahman, Beefmaster and Brangus, Brahman calves were nowhere close, Beefmaster and Brangus calves look just like this little heifer.
OH well we like her and only time will tell. I guess i know now this black cow isnt totally black!!!! lol

Huntet02":7m35ws14 said:
I guess i know now this black cow isnt totally black!!!! lol

Being totally black has nothing to do with breed. One can have a "totally" black cow/bull of any on of a number of breeds (these days).

Huntet02":a1ibyaxi said:
Caustic Burno-- im totally confused by your last sentence..... so your thinking maybe her Brahman is in the sire before the last or?
i did research looking at calves for Brahman, Beefmaster and Brangus, Brahman calves were nowhere close, Beefmaster and Brangus calves look just like this little heifer.
OH well we like her and only time will tell. I guess i know now this black cow isnt totally black!!!! lol

Sisters you going by the cows appearance which can be very deceiving.
These two girls are the same percentage Brahman as I know the lineage.
One carried Hereford characteristics the other Brahman.

Go look at a herd of registered Brangus there will be cows that look Angus and others than look very Brahman.

For you to have gotten a red calf the cow can not be a homozygous black cow, all the calves will be black .
This makes your cow have an outlier in the in the DNA. So not knowing the dams or sires lineage it is all just a guess
The only thing sure you know is there Brimmer in the wood pile and your cow is not homozygous black.
The only breeds that don't play by the color rule are Charolais, Longhorn and Shorthorn.

Exactly on homo black cow!! my son bought cow/calf pair with his 4H $ he wanted her to start him a little herd. So this could be a good thing or a bad thing on her color could try to get creative in future or....

Huntet02":2rr636li said:
Exactly on homo black cow!! my son bought cow/calf pair with his 4H $ he wanted her to start him a little herd. So this could be a good thing or a bad thing on her color could try to get creative in future or....

Well, it looks like he's off to a good start!

Pretty good chance that if he breeds that cow back to a black bull (as long as it isn't carrying the red gene) she should have a black calf, if thats what you're looking for. Either way, they are a decent looking pair.

I sure thank everyone for their helpful comments, advice and goodness. Here's latest pics, she sure is a cute little stinker, sturdy and hearty so far...

In all honesty... I don't have any good info to justify or prove my theory. :)

We run Brangus, Angus, Beefmaster, and one Tiger Stripe bull. Have some experience with Brahman and 50/50 Brahman bulls.

In my limited experience, it would take more than 3/8 Brahman influence from a Brangus, Beefmaster, Braford, ect bull to put that much ear on that calf... from that cow.

I would go out on a limb and say it would take more than a 50/50 bull to put that much ear on that calf... from that cow.

You are right though, time will help a little. 6mo from now that calf may look a lot different. It may grow in to those legs and ears and not show so much Brahman influence.

6mo from now if you put it in the pens and it gets high headed and starts bouncing off the walls. You will know it has strong Brahman influence. :tiphat: That's a joke. On a serious note, spend a lot of time around that calf and move it and its momma around through your pens as often as possible. Acclimate them to process at a young age.

Horse feathers I have them with a quarter or less show up with ears like Dumbo.
All those ears tell is it has Brahman in the woodpile.
Here is one that is 1/8th and the ears showed up.

thank you Caustic Burno, glad to hear it; Muddy comments scared me and hubby when we revisited this tonight....don't need a Holstein in this mix. Going to attach her 5mos old pic on here soon. Had to wean her early, big hearty girl. Don't think she will ever stop bawling.

Latest posts