It cost to own a horse!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've been dabbling with getting my taxes together. I never take my horse stuff of my taxes ;). I did make a real honest effort to track my horse expenses this year. I mean, as much effort as I do my cattle expenses. I just post this because occasionally the subject of how expensive a horse is. Do with the info, whatever you will.

Expenses were:
Vet
Shoes
Supplements
Hay
Oats/feed
$1568 per horse

I feed rolled hay 99% of the time to btw. Same hay my cows get. Also, one of horses doesn't require shoes, and the rest do-------Before someone suggest I go barefoot, I do when I can.

While I'm spilling my guts, I own 5 head.
2 barrel/pole horses
1 heeling horse
1 calf/heading/heelin
1 barrel/pole/calf

I loved horses a few years ago. I got tossed by my favorite mare a couple of years ago, I'm too old to bounce. I agree with your expense figures and is now part of the reason I hate horses. My wife still loves them and has five........ Until they die of old age, I'm done!

Bigfoot that $1568 x 5 would give you $7840 a year or $653/months towards a unit with climate control, power steering, leather seats, and a guaranteed Braking system :lol2: just poking fun.

JMJ Farms":1mc2eok0 said:
Bigfoot that $1568 x 5 would give you $7840 a year or $653/months towards a unit with climate control, power steering, leather seats, and a guaranteed Braking system :lol2: just poking fun.

I know exactly what your saying, and I agree. The scary part is the expenses that's not included in that figure------fuel, entry fees, clinics, etc. I know that total, but would not share that figure if my life depended on it.

Bigfoot":1u2d0q79 said:
JMJ Farms":1u2d0q79 said:

I know exactly what your saying, and I agree. The scary part is the expenses that's not included in that figure------fuel, entry fees, clinics, etc. I know that total, but would not share that figure if my life depended on it.

Haha. Don't worry Bigfoot. I'm not a horse fan (other than I like watching them) but I will be the first to say, there's a lot worse places to "throw" a dollar away than on a horse. Do your kids ride?

Yes, I have 2 girls and a boy. They all 3 do youth rodeo. If we just pleasure rode, that carrying cost for a year would probably be 60% less. There is some extra expense to a performance horse. I actually sat the kids down tonight, and discussed getting down to just 3 head. They weren't real receptive.

Bigfoot":3vwpsa6v said:
Yes, I have 2 girls and a boy. They all 3 do youth rodeo. If we just pleasure rode, that carrying cost for a year would probably be 60% less. There is some extra expense to a performance horse. I actually sat the kids down tonight, and discussed getting down to just 3 head. They weren't real receptive.

Well i sure ain't tending your business, but if you can afford it I admire what you're doing. If more people took up time with their kids like you and I do, I think this world would be a better place. That's the kinda of thing that people should "spend money on" for their kids. Not to mention the time yall spend together and the memories they will never forget. Just my :2cents:

PS. I hope I get the opportunity to meet you one day BF. I think me and you'd get along fine. But I ain't ridin no horse :lol2:

You'll be alright Bigfoot, and it sounds like the kids pull their weight. Kids are only young once and before you know it they'll be gone. One other thing, time flys by quickly also.

Yes, I tell myself it's for the kids, and I'm just a work a day man like 99% of us here. The money is starting to concern me. We don't take a family vacation. We tell ourselves that rodeo is our vacation. I know money is money, and it all comes from somewhere, so that helps. The kids practice a lot, if they didn't, we wouldn't haul like we do. I'm probably just one more year away (2 at the most) from walking away from all forms of "youth rodeo". I don't have anything against youth rodeo, you just enter so many events, that the entry fees add up. There is a little drama, but my personality is to just not get involved in it. Plus the traveling adds up. The kids will get their tails handed to them for a few years, but we will start doing open rodeos closer to home, and just enter the one event that they are most interested in.

JMJ, it would be a pleasure to meet you someday. I'm up to about a dozen members here that I have met. Be nice to add you to the list.

I don't know how far your are from Louisville. I have a sister who lives there. If I ever get up that way I will make it a point to look you up.

JMJ Farms":2uc7c5pn said:
I don't know how far your are from Louisville. I have a sister who lives there. If I ever get up that way I will make it a point to look you up.

I have a sister in law in Houschton, it might be I'm by you sometime to.

True Grit Farms":1q53bqvv said:
You'll be alright Bigfoot, and it sounds like the kids pull their weight. Kids are only young once and before you know it they'll be gone. One other thing, time flys by quickly also.

Me and the wife were riding down the Sunday, and I was talking about how expensive it is. She asked me if I'd trade the memories for my money back, and I said no.

Bigfoot, you should be able to deduct your fuel, fees, feed, miles, etc on your horse deal, at least on your open/pro trips that is. Idk about the youth rodeos, I doubt it. You may have to go look at some cows somewhere, and they just happen to have a youth rodeo there as well. Just sayin.

Make a colt to sell , My horses have paid for themselves and the barn every year 100 times over . Its a world of a lot tougher than it used to be a but a good young gelding will still bring the money :2cents:

I do like Bobby, I try to make a decent horse and sell one or two a year....to help support my two rope horses and my team roping "habit"....

I did like you are doing Bigfoot and supported the kiddos(mostly just one that took to it), but she is in college now and only "talks" about barrel racing and roping mostly...I do still have her barrel/san angelo ambassador horse, just in case she decides to take it back up. I can also heel of that mare, so she can pay for her keep in other ways.

I love my horses, but, like you, I don't like to add up what it takes to keep them around...not to mention the LQ trailer we have to have for the weekend ropings/rodeos, the diesel to get there and back, etc. But, some of that I do get to deduct from taxes.

I raised colts for a long time. When I got out, I said I was out to stay. I figure a 5 year old, that's operating like you want is cheap at any price, compared to raising one. I quit when I had kids. Just wasn't enough time to be a dad, and finish one properly---------and raise cattle and work off the farm. One of my kids might want to fool with young stuff someday. They can if they want to, but I've moved on.

I am pretty much quitting the colt starting/riding bizz as well, I have one more that just turned 3. Once he is gone, I will probably not do any more.

Latest posts