Long way to the ground and I don't bounce!

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Last night I was trying to wrestle a big chunk of steel onto a pallet by myself so I could lift it out of my truck with the loader. Bent over, pulled and stepped down unexpectedly on the pallet and that was enough to put an end to all hope of keeping my balance. Fell off the tailgate onto my back.

Boy, new trucks sure are taller than they used to be! I think gravity is a lot stronger than it used to be too. Took me long enough to fall that I had time to dread the sudden stop while I was falling. Took me a couple of minutes after I hit to sort through all the aches and pains to figure out which ones were normal and which ones came from the fall. Only thing that really came of it is a bruise on my elbow that I have bumped 3700 times since I fell. Armrest on the tractor and truck and the wall of the shower are the big offenders so far.

Thank goodness it's rained over the last two weeks. I'd be one bruise if it had happened two weeks ago when the ground was like rock. Really glad the forks on the loader were 10ft from the truck and not right behind it.

jkwilson":3mgcy3gw said:
Last night I was trying to wrestle a big chunk of steel onto a pallet by myself so I could lift it out of my truck with the loader. Bent over, pulled and stepped down unexpectedly on the pallet and that was enough to put an end to all hope of keeping my balance. Fell off the tailgate onto my back.

Boy, new trucks sure are taller than they used to be! I think gravity is a lot stronger than it used to be too. Took me long enough to fall that I had time to dread the sudden stop while I was falling. Took me a couple of minutes after I hit to sort through all the aches and pains to figure out which ones were normal and which ones came from the fall. Only thing that really came of it is a bruise on my elbow that I have bumped 3700 times since I fell. Armrest on the tractor and truck and the wall of the shower are the big offenders so far.

Thank goodness it's rained over the last two weeks. I'd be one bruise if it had happened two weeks ago when the ground was like rock. Really glad the forks on the loader were 10ft from the truck and not right behind it.

Be glad the steel didn't follow you

ouch..

My 5 year old just fell off the hay bale stack onto my grain drill and busted his head open.

5 stitches in the head !

jkwilson":axxg1f1x said:

the older you get,if you fell off a Toyota with both rear tires flat....it's a long way to the ground..few years back I fell of the top of a 8 ft ladder dead on my butt...bounced like a ball and back up on the ladder...never missed a lick..now they'd have to tote my carcass outa there..my hip turned every color in the box...

I don't have to worry much about falling off the back of my truck. Can't hardly get up on it..can't hardly reach over the side of the bed of a truck anymore and get anything out of it either..

Falls/falling really sux. Falling makes me think of ice. Winter coming brings ice and more hazards.
I hate snow in October. It serves no purpose other than to irritate me and the weatherman says we will have our
first snowfall here within 24 hrs. :yuck:

Sorry for going off on a tangent, hope you feel better soon.

Son of Butch":1htb8xjo said:
Falls/falling really sux. Falling makes me think of ice. Winter coming brings ice and more hazards.
I hate snow in October. It serves no purpose other than to irritate me and the weatherman says we will have our
first snowfall here within 24 hrs. :yuck:

Sorry for going off on a tangent, hope you feel better soon.

send snow here

Son of Butch":2o4i1mkq said:
first snowfall here within 24 hrs. :yuck:.
In that case, it has served it's purpose/"mission accomplished".

I use to ride bucking horses in rodeos. Met the ground from a long ways up in the air. Bounced up and walked away. Last year I took a nose dive off the GN flatbed. I just laid there hoping someone would come by and finish me off. I am certain that gravity is stronger than it use to be.

Jay Leno told a great story about age, injury and recovery.... something like:

My 2nd year doing the Tonight Show. We had finished taping for the week on a Thursday.
Heading home on a canyon road on my motorcycle going about 65 mph, hit some loose dirt laid down the cycle and
went tumbling 60 yards. Spent the night in the hospital. Released Friday afternoon with road rash and limping on a cane. Woke up Saturday still stiff and sore, but walking better. Sunday I felt good and threw the cane away. Monday
I walked into work and taped the show like nothing ever happened.
Last week I was sitting at home on my couch. I turned my head too quickly and have been in excruciating pain since.

Dave":39uxr1or said:
I use to ride bucking horses in rodeos. Met the ground from a long ways up in the air. Bounced up and walked away. Last year I took a nose dive off the GN flatbed. I just laid there hoping someone would come by and finish me off. I am certain that gravity is stronger than it use to be.

Right there with you. I rode bulls and broncs been thrown every which way and slammed into steel. A couple years ago I fell off of a step stool and could barely get up wife came over and helped me up. A good cold front with rain just about cripples me.

Glad you are ok JKWilson take care of yourself.

about 15 years ago I fell through a false ceiling 10 ft up and landed flat on my back on a tile floor.. I didn't bounce at all, in fact, after I came to, I first had to flex my fingers and toes, and make sure nothing was seriously broken, and I have never felt like I peeled myself off the ground like that day.. getting into my car was bad, getting out was worse. I know that fall didn't do my back any good and is probably part of the reasons I feel it now.

greybeard":2j65dm01 said:
I don't have to worry much about falling off the back of my truck. Can't hardly get up on it..can't hardly reach over the side of the bed of a truck anymore and get anything out of it either..

Used to jump on and off the flatbed several times a day.. earlier this year I made me a reachin stick...

I fell off a stack of square bales between the stack and the barn wall. Folded up like jack knife. Took the wife half an hour to drag me out. The good part was the only thing I hit hard was the only thing that I couldn;t hurt, my head.

callmefence":1x6gk7bp said:
greybeard":1x6gk7bp said:

Used to jump on and off the flatbed several times a day.. earlier this year I made me a reachin stick...
When I built the deck for my truck I paid special attention to keep it as low to the ground as possible, and I also made nice handholds on the headache rack that work really well,.. halves the amount of effort needed to climb it

Latest posts