M & M's in cattle feed...............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I buy 3-way feed mix at my local farm/agri/feed store which is shipped in from were I don't know. Every time I buy the feed it has lots of M & M's mixed in the feed (I can provide a picture if you don't believe me). My opinion these large retail store would rather have excess dumped in feed as to lower prices in the stores. Walmart will have shelves full of candy at Christmas and you go back the day after New Years and think you can get a good buy and it is all gone. Now I know were it goes.

At the " Mars factory" in Waco you can buy @80 lb "drums" of candy slag. I know guys that use them on a deer lease. That's probably where your M&M are coming from too

jltrent":f6qbs25j said:
I buy 3-way feed mix at my local farm/agri/feed store which is shipped in from were I don't know. Every time I buy the feed it has lots of M & M's mixed in the feed (I can provide a picture if you don't believe me). My opinion these large retail store would rather have excess dumped in feed as to lower prices in the stores. Walmart will have shelves full of candy at Christmas and you go back the day after New Years and think you can get a good buy and it is all gone. Now I know were it goes.
Not uncommon in the dairy industry to find folks that feed candy. Pure energy. Most will be ground up to some extend and the only bad thing is that much of it is done with the wrapper still on it so there might be some paper or foil in the mix. Same for old cookies. Use to be a plant in Mount Pleasant Texas that would collect old cookies, crush them, cook them and sell "cookie meal". Good protein and very good energy.

TexasBred":3qn4lh0r said:
jltrent":3qn4lh0r said:
Not uncommon in the dairy industry to find folks that feed candy. Pure energy. Most will be ground up to some extend and the only bad thing is that much of it is done with the wrapper still on it so there might be some paper or foil in the mix. Same for old cookies. Use to be a plant in Mount Pleasant Texas that would collect old cookies, crush them, cook them and sell "cookie meal". Good protein and very good energy.
When I pour out the feed I pick up lots of M & M paper mixed in and most of the M & M s are still uncrushed. It ought to be called 4-way feed.

It's not in my feed, but I've seen it lots of time. Fella around the corner from drives a chip truck. I guess he's in tight with the bread man to. He spends every afternoon opening chips and bread to top out a few hogs.

Bigfoot":1jzrfxc4 said:
It's not in my feed, but I've seen it lots of time. Fella around the corner from drives a chip truck. I guess he's in tight with the bread man to. He spends every afternoon opening chips and bread to top out a few hogs.
Yessir. I know a guy who gets all the outdated Dorito chips and corn tortillas and feeds to his hogs.

I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

IMG_20160416_162457577_HDR_zpsw2bhjomc.jpg

I used to get a bulk feed mix from a mill that always had M&M's, Cheetos, Peanuts, etc.. mixed into it. Cows didn't seem to mind it!

When I used to raise dairy calves one of the ingredients in the feed ration I used was cookie meal as someone else has mentioned in an earlier post. The calves did pretty good on that ration.

I was dumping out a sack today and a full unmolested still in the wrapper Twix bar came rolling out. These cows are going to have a sweet tooth.

skyhightree1":1ci69f4g said:
I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

I suppose your keeping some poor kid from getting fat...so they might appreciate bacon.

skyhightree1":3uws8wlr said:

That is a lot of feed and then they talk about hunger in this country.

Jogeephus":29k3vpag said:
Only if you share. Not sure I would. Not a Twix bar anyway. Did you see an expiration date on the wrapper?
I took the wrapper off and it did look appetizing/fresh, but I just couldn't eat it. I didn't see an expiration date as I did look.

jltrent":2ktj80kl said:
Jogeephus":2ktj80kl said:
Only if you share. Not sure I would. Not a Twix bar anyway. Did you see an expiration date on the wrapper?
I took the wrapper off and it did look appetizing/fresh, but I just couldn't eat it. I didn't see an expiration date as I did look.
I would eat it i love twix and i bet it would still taste fine

Latest posts