My brand was approved in SD

Help Support CattleToday:

Broken Wheel

Reaction score
I'm trying to take my steps in order before I get cattle. Now that my brand is approved I have to get fenced in. I have 120 acres of pasture and 70 of alfalfa/broam hay ground. I could use some opinions on whether I should start with some steer calves or bred cows?

I'm trying to take my steps in order before I get cattle. Now that my brand is approved I have to get fenced in. I have 120 acres of pasture and 70 of alfalfa/broam hay ground. I could use some opinions on whether I should start with some steer calves or bred cows?
Any prior experience?

1st and foremost is where are you located?: This is the most crucial info any of us would need to correctly answer your questions. You should add it to your profile.

I have 120 acres of pasture and 70 of alfalfa/brome hay ground. I could use some opinions on whether I should start with some steer calves or bred cows?
I vote for 600 lb steers. To avoid health issues of buying smaller animals and to get your feet wet, before tackling cows.

Last edited:
I vote for 600 lb steers. To avoid health issues of buying smaller animals and to get your feet wet, before tackling cows.
I would agree. Although the prices I saw guys paying for 6wt strs yesterday in IA and KS would make the margin for error VERY small.
I'd say lease out the pasture and sell the hay for a couple years. Get some more experience and see where this market goes.

We are in the foothills of the Big Horns. And we have had snow since November, more all the time and now we have a 3 day snowstorm in the forcast. They are saying it will bring us 13" of snow over those 3 days.
I'm really over SNOW!!!

No experience at all, I'd say lease it out, as has been mentioned, perhaps "custom graze" some critters for someone else, and get the experience on their overhead investment, watch how much weight you're able to put on his animals, calculate what the "buy in" cost would have been on them, and the "sell out" payment would have been, and see if it would have worked for you to have bought them in the first place. Maybe do this a couple of years, to get an "average" and an understanding of what it takes to make it go... and THEN take the plunge into investing in some for yourself. NOBODY CARES IF THE CATTLE ON YOUR PLACE ARE YOURS OR SOMEBODY ELSE'S. You're still the one working 'em, if that's what you want to be doing.

I do both, and have now for several years... not sure yet which way has more potential for "profit", but my overhead cost is definitely alot less when it's somebody else's cattle that I'm caring for. Nice part of my arrangement is that in spring when it gets muddy, we ship the cows off to his place for calving, and they come back when the grass comes in. If they're all yours, you don't necessarily have that "option".

How many tons of hay will the hay ground produce in an average year? Is it dryland or irrigated hay? Is the pasture dryland or irrigated? Is it native range or a dryland seeding? First thing is to get a handle on what it will produce. Smooth Brome grass in drier climates is only good for feed until it heads out, then nothing will eat it around here. Use it early or hay it.

Latest posts