My brand was approved in SD

Help Support CattleToday:

One neighbor said you cannot go wrong with broken mouth bred cows, my other neighbor said he took his worst loss on broken mouth cows. lol Another neighbor said a good 4-6 year old cow has proven herself and will give calves for many years. Maybe 5 steers and 5 bred solid mouth cows???
It all depends on the market cycle. It's all relative. If you can buy third stage aged cows for $100 over kill price, get a live calf, and the market holds then you will make more money than you can imagine. However, if any of those three things doesn't happen you will lose your a$$.
Welcome to the cattle business 😀

What does success look like?
That is a great question. For me It would be 40 cows that calved, run the pairs and sell the calves when there big enough. Keep a steer every year and raise to 900 ish for our meat. And figure out this hay thing so I dont have to pay my neighbor 40% in hay. We made 160-1250lb round bales last year. I think we could have done a second cutting but my neighbor didnt want to. I have alphalfa/ broam grass on my hay ground. the second cutting would have been mostly alphalfa and probably onlu 30-40% of the first crop. I hit a artesian well at my place and I want to check into irrigation.

Thank you for asking the question because it made me think about what I want.

That is a great question. For me It would be 40 cows that calved, run the pairs and sell the calves when there big enough. Keep a steer every year and raise to 900 ish for our meat. And figure out this hay thing so I dont have to pay my neighbor 40% in hay. We made 160-1250lb round bales last year. I think we could have done a second cutting but my neighbor didnt want to. I have alphalfa/ broam grass on my hay ground. the second cutting would have been mostly alphalfa and probably onlu 30-40% of the first crop. I hit a artesian well at my place and I want to check into irrigation.

Thank you for asking the question because it made me think about what I want.
40% isn't bad. But if the guy doesn't want to cut again and you need the hay you might want to start asking around to see if someone else will do it. You could even bump it to 50% and get more hay. I'd tell the guy already doing the hay what the deal is before looking around. A lot of guys hold grudges for no good reason but anyone that has fair warning and still gets upset would be that way anyway.

So no ditch irrigation at all?

I'm surprised it hasn't already come up that I've seen... but anyone else want to chime in about pivots and what they cost, etc?

Keep a steer every year and raise to 900 ish for our meat.
Target slaughter weight should be 1200 lbs rather than 900 ish.
IF you go with cows, you will have a couple cull cows every year (lost calf, didn't breed) you could choose to butcher a cow for home consumption rather than sell for slaughter and sell the more valuable steer instead.

Target slaughter weight should be 1200 lbs rather than 900 ish.
IF you go with cows, you will have a couple cull cows every year (lost calf, didn't breed) you could choose to butcher a cow for home consumption rather than sell for slaughter and sell the more valuable steer instead.
I prefer lighter weights for slaughter. There are several reasons to put a smaller animal in the freezer. The traditional finish weights are just easier on the industrial slaughter houses.

I prefer lighter weights for slaughter. There are several reasons to put a smaller animal in the freezer.
I prefer 1300 lbs because animal frames (skeletons) grow first and the same animal will have more meat on the bone than when slaughtered at lower weights.

When Mom would send me to the store to get a whole chicken to make chicken soup. She would remind me to get the heaviest bird
they had because the bones were the same size and I want meat in my soup. :)

Last edited:
I prefer 1300 lbs because animal frames (skeletons) grow first and the same animal will have more meat on the bone than when slaughtered at lower weights.

When Mom would send me to the store to get a whole chicken to make chicken soup. She would remind me to get the heaviest bird
they had because the bones were the same size and I want meat in my soup. :)
Well it takes some amount of discrimination and an eye for the right animal to have something appropriate ready for slaughter at a year old. It doesn't work with Holsteins. (Not that your animals are Holsteins)

I prefer lighter weights for slaughter. There are several reasons to put a smaller animal in the freezer. The traditional finish weights are just easier on the industrial slaughter houses.
Not to get off topic, but size = pounds, finish = quality
There are a lot of angus hfrs that if pushed early could be a ylgd 3 at 900lbs. On the other end of the spectrum there are a lot of continental strs that have zero cover at 900lbs.

Well it takes some amount of discrimination and an eye for the right animal to have something appropriate ready for slaughter at a year old.
I took him to mean butcher 1 steer each year. The first steer 15-17 months and yearly thereafter, not with goal to butcher at 1 year.
Being first time, he's still thinking things through.

I took him to mean butcher 1 steer each year. The first steer 15-17 months and yearly thereafter, not with goal to butcher at 1 year.
Being first time, he's still thinking things through.
He said at 900 pounds. That would be about a year old or maybe a little less for the kind of animal I would be putting in the freezer.

I like "baby" beef. It was popular in the seventies.

He said at 900 pounds. That would be about a year old or maybe a little less for the kind of animal I would be putting in the freezer.
Yes, he said 900 ish and being a newbie I suggested 1200 lbs should be his target. A first timer expectations often vary from reality and
to eyeball weight can be difficult for the experienced, let alone someone new to it. I would focus more on body condition and finish rather than a weight guesstimate.

Because of the drought?
Aged cows are going back to the country here.
I don't know. No bred cow/ pair buyers.
The packers have set the tone at almost every bred sale I have seen this year. If they aren't in the top 10-15% of the quality in a sale they're getting their heads cut off.
No one wants average cows.

I don't know. No bred cow/ pair buyers.
The packers have set the tone at almost every bred sale I have seen this year. If they aren't in the top 10-15% of the quality in a sale they're getting their heads cut off.
No one wants average cows.
It's going to get worse next month I'm told. Slaughter cows will be even higher.

It's going to get worse next month I'm told. Slaughter cows will be even higher.
Just keep killing them.
If you figure a hfr calf born this spring won't produce a product (calf) that will make it to the packers cooler for 31/2 years from now.
Every cow sent to slaughter is just helping extend our positive market.

Just keep killing them.
If you figure a hfr calf born this spring won't produce a product (calf) that will make it to the packers cooler for 31/2 years from now.
Every cow sent to slaughter is just helping extend our positive market.
Exactly right,
a lot of cows are already being killed that would have went back home last fall.

Success? I was talking to a rancher in church today and he sugested I buy heifer calkves instead if steer calves. His point was buy 10 and butcher the smallest next year. then the smallest the next year, get the 8 bred and butcher the 3yd year whatever heiffers didnt take. He said the heifer calves are cheaper anyway and I could breed the heaviest ones in the long run. What about that plan?

Also reguarding irrigation- I dont think it is legal to run a pivot without state approval?

Latest posts