My little steer project

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This is my little steer project. There are 36 of them. They average 400 pounds +/-. They are getting about 2 pounds of shell corn, the grass hay they will clean up, and a protein tub. They also have about 10 acres of hay meadow to pick at although that has already been picked pretty good. But I opened the gate so they could get to the river for water. If nothing else the manure lands in the field instead of in the corral. When that protein tub is finished I am switching to alfalfa. The tub cost $0.68 a pound. The alfalfa cost $0.15.

PB223059.JPGPB223061.JPGPB223062.JPG

Looking good!

What's the plan with them @Dave ?

Absolutely love the lumber used for your pen/corrals. Looks very nice!
The calves will go to grass in April and get sold as yearlings in August.

Lodge pole pine. Cutting them is easy. Dragging them to the road and loading them on the pickup is work. I need another 100 poles to be completely finished. The wife says we are getting too old (71 & 69) to cut any more. I am going to have to buy the ones I need.

The calves will go to grass in April and get sold as yearlings in August.

Lodge pole pine. Cutting them is easy. Dragging them to the road and loading them on the pickup is work. I need another 100 poles to be completely finished. The wife says we are getting too old (71 & 69) to cut any more. I am going to have to buy the ones I need.
A couple years ago poles were $8/each for 16 footers. It was worth it to buy a bundle when needed because we would have to drive another 50 miles to go get them ourselves. Haven't priced them in a while, but I bet they have about doubled just like everything else.

A couple years ago poles were $8/each for 16 footers. It was worth it to buy a bundle when needed because we would have to drive another 50 miles to go get them ourselves. Haven't priced them in a while, but I bet they have about doubled just like everything else.
I can buy them for $7. Forest circus permit is 3 cents a foot or $0.48 for a 16 footer. $175 for 25 poles (a pickup load) or $7.63 plus fuel. Lot cheaper to cut them myself. Also I don't need them all 16 foot. So when I cut them myself I get the length I need.

If I had a pole stand close by I think I'd cut my own. Used to be a family weekend when I was a kid to cut poles and firewood logs. We had an old set of running gear that could double as a pole trailer or irrigation pipe trailer. Was work for Mom and us kids to drag poles out to the trailer as Dad cut them down. I'd like to go cut a load, but would have to spend a weekend scouting just to find a good stand. Maybe next summer do some camping over in the Medicine Bow NF and find some.