My Yearly Cattle costs are 55 cents/day/cow in Texas, What am I doing wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Lee VanRoss and Caustic Burno got me thinking I might be doing something wrong in my cattle producing endeavor located just below Dallas, Texas. I'm first generation cattle producer and I'm only 2-1/2 years being a cattle producer. I don't want to go out of business...unless the corn hay fertilizer is not enough for the land to come back.

My cattle are not starving, they're very healthy. I don't claim to know much about cattle, I've studied a lot. Here's where I'm at with one of my farms.

7 cows+ 1 bull, with (3) 300 to 450lb calves to be sold soon (I'll calling that ~10 full grown Cattle)… yearly breeding on 42 acres, Only fertilizer being used is the (additive corn hay and cattle cubes, old expired free potatoes and fruits-treats) resulting in cow manure and left over trampled corn hay spread thinly to disintegrate afterwards. I have a nice big red barn, attached corral for the cattle. Water is free, I pump it from a well with a 2.3kw generator, probably 2 gallons of fuel/year used. Have a small pond they cool off in. Lots of cool summer trees with leaves to eat. You know the "Promised Land".

March 1st​ to October 31st​…cattle solely field graze and use loose minerals and mineral blocks, due to the abundance of giant ragweed and Lambsquarter (contains salt)…they don't use much mineral. Less than one Feed bag of Dewormer used in spring and fall.

Breakdown of my yearly feed costs:

Winter Cattle cubes are used starting in mid-November, December, January, and February we'll call it 12 weeks every other day ½ bag 25 lbs. so 12weeks X 7days= Less than 84 days of harsher winter in Texas…then divide by 2 cause I feed every other day =42 actual feed days of 25 lbs (1/2 bag)= so I use 21 bags of 20% protein 50lb bags over the course of winter.

Price of cattle cubes went from $9.95 to $11.29 in the two years so $11.29 x 21= $237.09 (no tax, exempt)

Winter Corn Hay Costs, every other day Monday, Wednesday, Friday….at least 3 bails a week....i bring them a (4'x5.5') corn bail on my way in my truck-bed and unload with truck and cut-take away the netting (weekends if it's not too cold I let them graze)…so 12 weeks of winter X 3.3 bails per week (0.3 for a few of those cold weekends)= 40 bails/year @$30. /bail…thus Winter Corn hay costs are $1200.

So, $237. Cubes + $1,200. Hay= 1,437./year then add in + $400. for yearly minerals, Dewormer, Permethrin and vacs= $1,837./year Total out of pocket feed costs for 10 grown cattle, so we'll adjust up to $2,000. /10= $200./ cow/year/365= 0.55/cent per day per cattle.

Your feedback and comments on my "open book" newbie cattle experience are welcome. I'm like William Hung....remember what he said..."I've never taken any professional singing classes, but I love singing and want to try"....that's me with cattle.

Attachments

• SDC15196.JPG
    SDC15196.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • SDC15036.JPG
    SDC15036.JPG
  • SDC16233.JPG
    SDC16233.JPG
Last edited:
Lee VanRoss and Caustic Burno got me thinking I might be doing something wrong in my cattle producing endeavor located just below Dallas, Texas. I'm first generation cattle producer and I'm only 2-1/2 years being a cattle producer. I don't want to go out of business...unless the corn hay fertilizer is not enough for the land to come back.

My cattle are not starving, they're very healthy. I don't claim to know much about cattle, I've studied a lot. Here's where I'm at with one of my farms.

7 cows+ 1 bull, with (3) 300 to 450lb calves to be sold soon (I'll calling that ~10 full grown Cattle)… yearly breeding on 42 acres, Only fertilizer being used is the (additive corn hay and cattle cubes, old expired free potatoes and fruits-treats) resulting in cow manure and left over trampled corn hay spread thinly to disintegrate afterwards. I have a nice big red barn, attached corral for the cattle. Water is free, I pump it from a well with a 2.3kw generator, probably 2 gallons of fuel/year used. Have a small pond they cool off in. Lots of cool summer trees with leaves to eat. You know the "Promised Land".

March 1st​ to October 31st​…cattle solely field graze and use loose minerals and mineral blocks, due to the abundance of giant ragweed and Lambsquarter (contains salt)…they don't use much mineral. Less than one Feed bag of Dewormer used in spring and fall.

Winter Cattle cubes are used starting in mid-November, December, January, and February we'll call it 12 weeks every other day ½ bag 25 lbs. so 12weeks X 7days= Less than 84 days of harsher winter in Texas…then divide by 2 cause I feed every other day =42 actual feed days of 25 lbs (1/2 bag)= so I use 21 bags of 20% protein 50lb bags over the course of winter.

Price of cattle cubes went from $9.95 to $11.29 in the two years so $11.29 x 21= $237.09 (no tax, exempt)

Winter Corn Hay Costs, every other day Monday, Wednesday, Friday….at least 3 bails a week....i bring them a (4'x5.5') corn bail on my way in my truck-bed and unload with truck and cut-take away the netting (weekends if it's not too cold I let them graze)…so 12 weeks of winter X 3.3 bails per week (0.3 for a few of those cold weekends)= 40 bails/year @$30. /bail…thus Winter Corn hay costs are $1200.

So, $237. Cubes + $1,200. Hay= 1,437./year then add in + $400. for yearly minerals, Dewormer, Permethrin and vacs= $1,837./year Total out of pocket feed costs for 10 grown cattle, so we'll adjust up to $2,000. /10= $200./ cow/year/365= 0.55/cent per day per cattle.

Your feedback and comments on my "open book" newbie cattle experience are welcome. I'm like William Hung....remember what he said..."I've never taken any professional singing classes, but I love singing and want to try"....that's me with cattle.
you need to feed your cattle every day , It really pays off, if you can not afford to feed animals you don't need to have them. I am sur you enjoy eating every day.

you need to feed your cattle every day , It really pays off, if you can not afford to feed animals you don't need to have them. I am sur you enjoy eating every day.
No where was it even suggested that his cows aren't eating every day. If thats what you got from reading his breakdown, you need to read it again.

I think you need to reread what was posted. The cattle are fed enough so that they have plenty to eat everyday. They are supplemented with more protein in the form of the range cubes during the winter. I think the comment you made was not appropriate.

If you're saying OP needs to feed cubes, grain, or some other commodity feed every day I heartily disagree. You can't starve profit into cattle but you can also feed your way right out of it just as easily. In my opinion the thing to do is provide good quality forage or hay and supplement accordingly. Cowpieology and watching body condition scores can take you a long way.

Are you expecting these cattle to pay property taxes and farm/ranch overhead for you? If so you might consider prorating those costs into the upkeep as well. I think you're doing the right thing crunching the numbers though.

Have you considered unrolling hay? It might be harder to unroll effectively without another piece of equipment for as many as you're running but unrolling has done wonders for me

If your not charging the taxes against the cattle for the land they use they are welfare cattle.
Your supplementing someone's supper table out of your pocket.
If every penny spent on those cattle is not changed to them they are welfare cattle.
Its that simple your using your income to supplement someone else's income.

If your not charging the taxes against the cattle for the land they use they are welfare cattle.
If every penny spent on those cattle is not changed to them they are welfare cattle.
So if he had no cattle to whom does one "charge" the taxes?

CB, you've got to let the land tax deal go brother. I know from several of your post on different topics you've got a huge hang up with land taxes. I'm going to pay mine this week, I always make them wait. My land taxes are only about $5 an acre it's not that big of a deal. Just because you can't make cattle pay for themselves doesn't mean everyone else can't. Maybe you need to take a break from posting and just read for a week or two. It sounds to me like Texas Rancher has a handle on things and is enjoying himself.

CB, you've got to let the land tax deal go brother. I know from several of your post on different topics you've got a huge hang up with land taxes. I'm going to pay mine this week, I always make them wait. My land taxes are only about $5 an acre it's not that big of a deal. Just because you can't make cattle pay for themselves doesn't mean everyone else can't. Maybe you need to take a break from posting and just read for a week or two. It sounds to me like Texas Rancher has a handle on things and is enjoying himself.
No it's not a hang up . Business is business the rest is just pasture protein otherwise known as bull shyt. If the cattle don't pay the taxes and all there upkeep it's just a hobby.
That's okay if you're okay with supplementing someone else income.
I am just not BSing myself on what cattle costs are.
Truth hurts and you act like you just got hit in the face with a wet possum full of it.

TR> Not to focus on the trivial, but you have piqued my curiosity. Why do you feed every other day? I have used a one-a-day regimen
but never considered your method. When time permits Thanks. Lee

So what do land owners without cattle do? Who pays the property taxes?
It's just like a house in town you pay rent to live there or use the land to the government.

It's not a business.
Best thing for that young man to do is sign up for the two day Cattle Workshop at TAMU.
They will teach him the real cost of the business.

Property taxes are part of a different asset, land. Regarding the costs of the cow asset, I think a fair land charge would be market rate pasture rent, probably between $100-$200 per cow.

I think you ought to charge something for your labor; cow depreciation or replacement costs; bull depreciation or replacement cost; I have trucking costs; probably should have depreciation on equipment.

Most of the university estimates the past few years have put actual annual cow costs between $800-$900 per year.

So the taxes are owed with or without cattle and the owner of the property is responsible to pay them. Got it.
Exactly one way is a business the other is a asset liability.
If you want to play golf or run hobby cows is all well and good. Just knowing it makes a difference.
When you file taxes do you write off the tax expenses to the cattle. If so the cattle pay the taxes.
Everything you write off you or the cow pays.
One way it's a business the other a hobby.
What's on that schedule F as an expense? Sales?

Latest posts