New calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
2 week old calves look great. I had a big one yesterday, 128#, steer!
That beats my 123 pound Broadway. Who was the sire of that behemoth?
Mack AF - he is a red bull. Gives me great heifers, but even if his males are born under 100#, I castrate them. I don't rely heavily on EPD's, but out of this bull, the calf will not have good CE or BW EPD's. Even though there are many herds that could use a good growthy bull, all you need is ONE bad calving out of him and your farm name is MUD.
REPUTATION is everything in this business. I am extremely picky on what I leave a bull. Obviously, I wouldn't even consider a 120# + bull calf for breeding out of any bull.

Have a new heifer born. Sired by Blonde d'Aquitaine bull with 112lbs bw. Heifer born at 286th day, 90.4lbs birth weight. Very easy calved, light boned and small calf.
This year the ones I wanted to be the heifers, most of them indeed are heifers.
DSCF3001.jpg

The pic of the sire, yearling.
omega-204289-ouragan-ba.jpg

01blondedaquitaineouragan-grand-visuel.jpg
Grandsire.
Half sister of the bull. Should produce some great females.
02blondedaquitaineouragan-grand-visuel.jpg

The bw average has dropped down to 111.3.

Had some nice weather today. It felt close to spring already. But warmth has brought some mud too.
DSCF3010.jpg

Calves enjoying their pen.
DSCF3037.jpg

Such a colour change after all red and black calves!
DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3025.jpg
Piedx bull calf still slim and tall, but is putting on weight bit by bit.
Two brothers inspecting the creep feeder. Very closely...
DSCF3076.jpg

DSCF3070.jpg

Silver said:
I'm a big fan of the Blonde breed. I'd still be using them if the market was there for them here.
We had a blondex heifer years ago. But back then I had no knowledge about the breeds, so we've used blonde on one cow, which was the easiest calving, and she wasn't a good cross at all. Now it should work out better.
Now have four heifers incalf with Blonde calves from another heifer safe bull, due from the end of March. Have a couple straws left from both bulls, so will use those later. Have seen many examples of very good blonde cattle, so I like them a lot too.

holm25 said:
Love that orange and white calf. Gonna be a thick sob.

Thanks. He's growing like mad. Will need to make sure to weigh all calves at the weaning, but he should be one of the heaviest ever weaned. Dam always wean heavy calves no matter the sire and they continue to grow later. She better has a heifer next year!

3 days old heifer by our previous Limousine bull and out of limox 2nd calver. Born at 285days, around 90-95lbs.
DSCF3008.jpg

A lot of times, when I come back home, I find something wrong. Today have found this fella... Managed to get him out and no injuries, except for the stress. His head was the hardest thing to free, it just wasn't fitting...
DSCF3012.jpg

Good looking calf (first pic), the second pics goes to show there is no end of trouble they can get themselves into! :nod: Good catch.

Silver said:
Good looking calf (first pic), the second pics goes to show there is no end of trouble they can get themselves into! :nod: Good catch.
Yeah, just glad that have found him in time... Otherwise, would have had some meat for the dogs. His herd mates definitely have helped him to get in this situation. Unfortunately, there are plenty of times when you are just too late.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
You were definitely lucky on your timing!!
Yes, have thought the same. They sure are very inventive, when it comes to dying... From my practice, most ruminants are like that...
He was just shaking from the stress, but calmed down quickly and got back to eating later. Except for a bruised ear, no harm done, thankfully. It would have been a completely different situation if have found him a couple hours later...

Finally, another calf from AI. A bull calf born at 286th day sired by INRA95 bull. Calf should be over 110lbs, cow is one of the smallest in the herd, because that she had her first calf at 15months age, so now she shouldn't be bigger than 1300lbs. Good job to calve on her own.
53270719-637757630009090-1586518368901398528-n.jpg

53593437-614163562341077-518263687744585728-n.jpg
Just chilling there...
53585105-301559280531922-1849253634500460544-n.jpg

The sire of the calf:
01inra95ulrich-grand-visuel.jpg

http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR8130562111

Should have only one more calf from this bull in June.

Latest posts