New calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

Have a nice tall girl born today. From a 2nd calver, sired by the previous limousine bull. He had some work to do last spring before we turned him out with the main herd. Heifer is around 100lbs, born at 291st day, tall and looking pretty round for her sire's calves.
55560559-640397913055984-5655965681036820480-n.jpg
Mom is watching from the other side of the fence. It looks that the young one decided to have her first trip out of the pasture.
54521068-1185892521592451-8857048735671123968-n.jpg

Mom is from a very good line with big weaning weights and very good overall growth, so the new heifer has good prospects as replacement.

Quite an unexpected calf. Have AI'ed this girl once last year. She seemed to be in heat in fall. Bull and elder bull calves were chasing after her for several times, so were pretty sure that she'll be a late calver. However, noticed her bagging up recently. Here is the result! A very nice heifer born at 283days, sired by inra95. Will weigh her abit later, but she should be over 110lbs. Wide and muscular calf, but tiny thin legs... The 3rd calf for the cow.
DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

Another cow has been away from the herd for the whole day, so should be calving very soon too. In calf with charolais, 290th day today.

Well, have a bit overestimated the size of the last heifer! She now looks smaller than she looked yesterday and weighs only 95lbs.
Have another calf born last night. 291days gestation, by AI charolais, which we've used several years ago. Had the last two straws left, one stuck. The new calf weighs 128lbs. Cow is around 1300lbs, but has calved unassisted.
DSCF3006-1.jpg

DSCF3005-1.jpg

gizmom said:
I am sure enjoying this thread, some really nice calves hard to pick a favorite. That spotted calf is my favorite I think but then I look at that white one and change my mind.

Gizmom

Thank you. I'm still not sure which one is my favorite too!
That's the end for AI calves in the main herd for a while. Now all will be by the last limo bull. But have some more AI calves due in another herd.

New bull calf from a cow with possibly dislocated knee. She has injured herself in late fall, so as she was half way in her gestation decided to try to keep her for one more calf. The cow is one of best ones, dam of our most muscled heifers, 10 years old this year. Will be very sad to cull her. She can't keep her weight on her left back leg and isn't moving much. Have kept her separated from the herd since the injury. Calved on her own yesterday at 290days gestation. Calf is by limo bull, 114.6lbs.

WP-20190419-12-28-47-Pro.jpg

WP-20190419-12-27-13-Pro.jpg

Other calves:
2 weeks old charx bull calf out of limx 2nd calver.
DSCF3017.jpg

DSCF3022.jpg
Another 2weeks old charx bull calf. The bucket was meant for another cow, but that one didn't wanted it...
DSCF3033.jpg
A bit over a month old inrax bull calf. He's very friendly and growing well.

DSCF3032.jpg
Now waiting for this one to calve. 291st day gestation and she still seems to have a couple days left. One of the biggest cows in the herd and easiest calving one. She had one monster years ago with 160lbs bw. She should be ~1850lbs or so. Maybe will weight her soon. Would like to know her weight alot!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Sorry you didn't get a heifer out of cripple cow.
Calves look awesome.

We've three daughters as cows (one due with the 5th calf, one with the 2nd and one will be bred for the 2nd soon) and there is one last year born heifer. Will keep that yearling too, even if her sire has reduced the quality.
Was hoping for the heifer, but happy that at least have an alive calf and both are doing okay now.
One her daughter had 4 heifers in 3 years...

DSCF3003.jpg
She has plenty of milk too. Gave her abit of meal for the whole winter to keep her body condition better. Those animals which loose their mobility loose condition quickly.
Her daughter, which has an injury in her leg too (injured as an yearling), and daughter's heifer calf kept the company for the past couple months.

Yesterday born limx heifer, 287days gestation, 98lbs- darker one. And the creamy one is two weeks old... Mom is the 3rd calver, done well with the first two calves, but barely has any milk this year. The calf wasn't gaining at all and eyes started sunking in. She finally got enough of milk from the new mom yesterday and already feeling much better today. Has went straight to the udder when we let her in the new mom's pen. Cow doesn't want a new calf so far, but maybe with time she'll get used to it. She herself had a step brother. Her mom never really licked that one, but let him nurse.
If not, then always can put the calf with a lame cow. She can't move well, so won't be able to fight much.

WP-20190421-08-44-03-Pro.jpg

Have this boy born today. 294 days gestation. He might be the biggest calf this year. Will weigh him abit later. Cow should be 1800lbs+.
DSCF3012.jpg

DSCF3038.jpg

https://youtu.be/UCAt_8tyO3Q

131lbs. Yeah, he's the biggest this year and I don't think there will be any bigger one. His dam always has bigger calves and she holds a record of the biggest calf on the farm- 160lbs. Calved with this one very quickly.
58419975-1190307111137529-2704836129458225152-n.jpg

I think about charolais for her next calf. :hide: She's a very easy calver. Think she'd start having trouble calving if calf was around 200lbs.

Some big calves this year. Three bull calves born last night. Have weighed two. One is from heifer- 100.3lbs, another is 125.6lbs. The third one is the smallest one- around 90lbs, judging by the look. All calved very easily and all are sired by the same sire. But the big calf is a stubborn one and can't find where the milk is... Have to help him even if mom isn't happy about that.
The heifer's calf:
WP-20190425-10-56-26-Pro.jpg

The big calf:
WP-20190425-11-36-03-Pro.jpg

Latest posts