Night Vision

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Would like to buy something for night vision but know nothing about what I need. Does anyone use anything besides a light? I am interested in something up to about $1,000 but if I can get something that works for $100 thats fine also.

A NV monocular works really well and can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I borrowed one from a friend last year to try out and really liked it. I mainly used it in the pre dawn hours going to the stand. I had one stand that I was running deer off going in. When I started using it I could see the area before I walked in and several times I seen deer in the food plot and was able to avoid detection by watching them while I walked to the stand. It did not work as well at dusk but in pitch black it perfect. You could also use a small light in conjunction with it and it allowed you to see further in the dark. I plan on getting one this year.

I bought one of them green lights and there no good for hunting. I shined some deer and they hauled tail, then I went coyote hunting and when I turned the green light on they hauled tail also. Shinning cows might scare them and make them run through the fences or something. Real night vision would get me in trouble I do believe.

If you get on you can make a IR light out of s small mag light. Take the the bulb out of s remote control and straighten the prongs to fit pin the mag lite where the bulb goes. Also old video cameras will pick up ir light and you can use the screen with the flashlight hack to see in the dark.

M5farm":2pvf3fm4 said:
If you get on you can make a IR light out of s small mag light. Take the the bulb out of s remote control and straighten the prongs to fit pin the mag lite where the bulb goes. Also old video cameras will pick up ir light and you can use the screen with the flashlight hack to see in the dark.

WOW, now how did you learn that?

kenny thomas":hlscwvc1 said:
The more I read about night vision the less I seem to understand. How can one for $150 match up with one costing $1500?
They don't gen 1 is the cheapest they are good for 20 40 yards most of the time. Gen 3 is newest technology and crisper images and better distance. Ask around some if your hunting buddies someone's bound to have one you can try. It will be the guy that always has new camo best rifle big 4x4 with camo fender flares and only shoots trophies

M5farm":2np4s6fe said:
kenny thomas":2np4s6fe said:
The more I read about night vision the less I seem to understand. How can one for $150 match up with one costing $1500?
They don't gen 1 is the cheapest they are good for 20 40 yards most of the time. Gen 3 is newest technology and crisper images and better distance. Ask around some if your hunting buddies someone's bound to have one you can try. It will be the guy that always has new camo best rifle big 4x4 with camo fender flares and only shoots trophies
None of that here. All my buddies shoot everything. Meat hunters on this ridge. :hide:

I learnt it on the interweb. When I was searching for night vision a few years ago I ran across it and just had to try it. It does work. You can also take a qbeam and get red,green, blue film and attach it to lens and It will filter the light to see at night. Just can't see very far.

Hook":b2nl7mug said:
The light that sky was talking about is 10x better than the 3rd gen nv.
http://elusivewildlife.com/shop/index.p ... -leds.html

Its good... but not that good. ;-) Animals still detect the light. In some cases it can bust them if they have been hunted hard.

NV750 IMO Best bang for the buck NV scope. This is the one I run. If you watch they will run sales on them some times. Google NV scopes. Also type in the scope names on youtube and you can see recordings through the scopes. There is some great info out there on them. Even people that sell them that will let you test drive them before you buy.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-digi ... nator.html

You can see 600yds or better you are just limited by the 6X. You can use it day or night. Takes 4 AA batteries. You can make out every thing easy. You can see coons and skunks at several hundred yards and tell what they are.

Optic plant has a return policy , order a cheap one try it if you don't like it send it back.

Wal-Mart used to carry the Bushnell ones and they have a satisfaction guaranteepolicy

Brute23, now your talking.
Before everyone thinks I am someone that kills a lot of animals at night I am mostly looking for something so I can shoot hogs at night. I can shoot at 1000 yds but never see them in the daytime. Would be nice just to see whats out there also.

Latest posts