Not Seen This Before

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
First calve heifer is starting to bag. I saw her standing like this at a t-post a couple of weeks ago and just now at the hay ring. Was watching her eat then she stopped and stuck her nose on the ring. Stayed that way without moving for about three minutes. Anyone seen this before?

Maybe, but a bit unusual from what I've seen of her. That calf appeared to be doing jumping jacks this morning so maybe this is the way she handles it. Just never seen any of the cows do anything like this.

I have an entire cow family that does this; they must learn it from their mothers. Almost go into a trance. I imagine there is a pressure point that releases endorphins much like a lip chain/twitch on a horse.

redcowsrule33":35xi5q6z said:
I have an entire cow family that does this; they must learn it from their mothers. Almost go into a trance. I imagine there is a pressure point that releases endorphins much like a lip chain/twitch on a horse.

Humm... She's an embryo plant so I have no clue about her family. Good an idea as I can come up with.

There is a mineral deficiency that 'causes' it, though I think they like doing it as well, but can't remember where I saw it.. Did a search and this came up, but it seems to be a whole lot of hearsay and nothing substantial
https://www.cowsignals.com/blog/why_is_ ... metal_pipe

Seems like Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc have been brought up.. but unless you have a herd of them doing it, I think it's just an individual mannerism.. I have some of mine press their noses against me at times too

slick4591":4b3pt0dn said:
First calve heifer is starting to bag. I saw her standing like this at a t-post a couple of weeks ago and just now at the hay ring. Was watching her eat then she stopped and stuck her nose on the ring. Stayed that way without moving for about three minutes. Anyone seen this before?

See it often. Fire Sweep does too. Kris and I have had a dozen conversations as to what it is. We think a form of stress relief.

Agree with Nesikep. And they do it against me too like Nesikep mentioned.

TennesseeTuxedo":1yj0t9ne said:
Your cows sure are pretty Dennis.

Thanks TT. The one on the right in that pic and her heifer calf is sold if she's prego. They'll give a young man a start to a Piedmontese herd.

redcowsrule33":1yl9pkfb said:
Must be simular to cribbing..wind suckers in horses...Watch her eyes when she does it...usually due to boredom at the start.. Then they turn into equine crackheads......just a thought too,,because the horse will clamp it with its teeth. And cows only has lowers of course, and no doubt it's why they don't use their mouths to do it

Glad to know it just ain't my crazy heifer. The first time I saw her do this she was walking back to the hay ring from the tank and just walked up to the t-post stuck her nose to it. Didn't think much about it until today. Thanks!

slick4591":22uxanyg said:
Glad to know it just ain't my crazy heifer. The first time I saw her do this she was walking back to the hay ring from the tank and just walked up to the t-post stuck her nose to it. Didn't think much about it until today. Thanks!

Totally normal. Consider her an intellectual.

We had a show heifer, then a aged cow, start showing weird behavior....She was at the end of her life and kept in a pen here at the house. She went down and we figured she'd need putting down the next morning. But that next morning, she was up and feverously licking the metal fence. It was freezing and every inch of that metal fence was covered with frozen slobber. She did this till she dropped dead. We had her tested for rabies because she was at deaths door the day before and couldn't even stand..... Vet ruled it, brain tumor...

cowgirl8":350oh0ie said:
We had a show heifer, then a aged cow, start showing weird behavior....She was at the end of her life and kept in a pen here at the house. She went down and we figured she'd need putting down the next morning. But that next morning, she was up and feverously licking the metal fence. It was freezing and every inch of that metal fence was covered with frozen slobber. She did this till she dropped dead. We had her tested for rabies because she was at deaths door the day before and couldn't even stand..... Vet ruled it, brain tumor...

Sounds more like a verdict than a diagnosis.

I have a PB Sim cow who constantly does this when lounging around (I've had her for almost 10 years). Some of the others have started copying her over the years, it's not unusual for me to see a few of them "nose resting" in a group when I check them while they're lounging. Looks almost like they go into a trance. It's the little things in life, I guess. :lol2:

Bright Raven":11fmy2de said:
cowgirl8":11fmy2de said:

Sounds more like a verdict than a diagnosis.
They sent her head off and tested for mad cow. Both neg. he said he's seen cows with brain timors do something similar. It was weird. Nothing ate her. Her hide draped over her bones for years. Didn't bury her because it was wet. She sat in this spot for around 10 years. Lol. Typing on phone with no glasses while siitting in pasture waiting on cow to calve so I'm not sure what I've typed. Lol. Hope when I get home it says what I wanted.

Latest posts