Old Man winter knocking at the door

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
It is 18 degrees out this morning. I can see snow on top of Lookout and Little Lookout mountains. Yesterday I went to town where I can see the Elkhorns and Wallowa mountains. They are white once again. It is going to be winter here before you know it

We had 15 degrees this morning. Still a little snow on the ground from Thursday and Saturday morning; although most of it melted Saturday afternoon. Our high for today is supposed to be 31 degrees. It sure is looking like old man winter is staring down on us. Tuesday I'm going to preg test the cows, our high is supposed to be 45 degrees, of course the vet is going to be here by 10am, I still have to get the cows in, sort off the calves. I will be weaning then as well, and keeping an eye out for those cows that need to be culled. I will be happy if we don't get any ground covering snow until December, there is a lot of feed out in the alfalfa field.

We hit 86 degrees yesterday, and it is supposed to be a little warmer today. But, this week we are finally getting some rain with lows in the 50's and highs only in the 60's. I miss summer already.
My only experience with your weather down there was when I was at Fort Gordon from the end of August through November in 1988. When you get those freezing rains everything shuts down.

Supposed to be upper 20's Wednesday and Thursday morning. May get light rain ahead of the cold front but only 20% chance. It will be the 1st of November so it's that time of year . Desperately need the rain !!

I don't know what our high for the day is supposed to be, but it's done come and gone. Came in wet, around 6:30am and gotten cooler ever since.

It's just above freezing here. Overnight lows will be below freezing next few days.
RAW today.
Light mist, rain and some sleet even.
Wednesday/Thursday will be reasonable again. This wind is driving it home that winter is coming!!

Hay is out already. Lease place has grass still. They will get some hay soon tho. Gotta scrape manure piles and clean up a bit. It'll be end of next week at earliest tho.

Had a couple inches of snow in SE Wyoming. Ran bull calves over to Laramie today for the University of Wyoming High Altitude Bull Test and it was 18* over the Summit between Cheyenne and Laramie at 1:30 p.m., but it's warming up and supposed to be 60s by mid week.

Rained almost all night, on and off. The North wind blew and the leaves did swirl.
Freezing mix possible just to the north of us.
FREEZE WATCH
ISSUED: 3:16 AM OCT. 30, 2023 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...Light FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

A week ago, record high temps were set in the mid 90s.