Per acre land price in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Haha. Nah, this is going to stay a farm as long as I can keep it going. Most of it, my granddaddy bought right after the depression. I know he gave $80/acre for quite a bit of it. It's crazy and scary how much land has been developed in this area. Last week, commissioners approved another 500+ home subdivision less than 2 miles from me. I'm officially surrounded on all sides. Lots of other farmers are also surrounded. I've always heard that the most profitable crop was houses. I guess that's true. My biggest concern is I don't know where we're going to bury everybody when the time comes. You never see a new cemetery being developed.
Movie "soylent green" no need for cemeteries....

My Grandfather, born in 1896 in coastal SW Louisiana talked about some of the marshland in that area sold for "a bit" an acre- 12 1/2 cents. It may have been before his time and he heard the stories.
He bought his place, high ground and marsh ground after WW2 for $40/acre. The old man he bought it from was worried that land prices would drop after the war as they had done after WW1.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with cremation. I want to be cremated, ashes put in a coffee can and used as 'white elephant' gift every Christmas. :)

Local cemetery has craziest policy I've seen.
First come, first served. All buried in straight lines, no family plots, entire cemetery is all by date of death.
Sad, but true and funny, 2 old neighbors spent a good part of their life bickering over a property line of adjoined fields of their farms. Each year whoever got out first would plant on/over the line. Both died last month 2 days apart and buried in line at the cemetery.
:)
the plan is to be interned (after cremation) in our family plot in a Lutheran church in southern MN where my ancestors claimed first homestead land in the mid 1800's. They were organizers of the church along with the other homesteaders. the church is still going and has good attendance and financially solid. my 4x great grandparents through my parents are buried there. I'm not in a hurry to move in anyway.

Ain't being squeezed for development UP here. Usually only 2-5 new house constructed every year in a county of 1700 sq miles. Not a single development/neighborhood in the entire county.

distance from neighbors and development. we in the lower 48 are getting squeezed out or over run. Frost Bite Falls would be an exception, but MN is going to regulate us out of business if the current crowd keeps in charge.
The big out there in ION country will work. I recently saw an ad for a ranch north of Deeth Nevada. It runs 1,000 cows. The asking price worked out to a little under $6,500 per cow. That will pencil out if you have a decent down payment. And I will guarantee you that is a long ways from neighbors or development.

The big out there in ION country will work. I recently saw an ad for a ranch north of Deeth Nevada. It runs 1,000 cows. The asking price worked out to a little under $6,500 per cow. That will pencil out if you have a decent down payment. And I will guarantee you that is a long ways from neighbors or development.
Too hot.

Property tax valuation increases are eventually going to make holding on to what we already have a problem. Got our 2023 appraisal a few days ago. House appraisal was up about 27%. Land was up about 12%.

I was right beside

I was right beside the drag strip next to Toney
They are closing down the drag strip. Subdivision people complained enough to force them out. 1st complained about noise 2nd went to lights at night and made them start closing at 8 pm. That place was there my entire life and I can remember when there was nothing out there but the track. Sad how people move next to a business that was there for decades before they got there and can use government to close them down. Hopefully they make great money for having to leave.

Property tax valuation increases are eventually going to make holding on to what we already have a problem. Got our 2023 appraisal a few days ago. House appraisal was up about 27%. Land was up about 12%.
Mine too but the inverse... house up 15% and farm land up 25%, last year to this year. Overall combined = +21.4%. We'll be taxed right off the farm before long. Minnesota is one of the highest taxed states in the nation. Also one of the most liberal, as I'm sure most of you have noticed on the news coming out of here of late... very sad... I oughta sell out and move to SD, where they still have some common sense!

They are closing down the drag strip. Subdivision people complained enough to force them out. 1st complained about noise 2nd went to lights at night and made them start closing at 8 pm. That place was there my entire life and I can remember when there was nothing out there but the track. Sad how people move next to a business that was there for decades before they got there and can use government to close them down. Hopefully they make great money for having to leave.
That's what's happening with the agricultural community too... we "allow" the subdividing of plots of ag land for building of "a couple houses'... "for the kids"........ etc. Kids get a new job, sell the "investment property" to a towny non-relative once Mom & Dad are gone and move to a "dream home" on a lake somewhere. Pretty soon, farmers are completely outnumbered and out voted locally... "Ag protection district" slowly but ultimately gives way to "residential protection from ag"... pretty soon the convenience stores show up, and the strip malls, then the drugs, and eventually, it becomes a crime riddled slum.

My property tax valuation went up 35% for 2024! if the county, township and schools dont go crazy on their budget the property tax should not go up the same. I think the budget meetings in November and December will be busy this year.

Latest posts