The last half acre

Help Support CattleToday:

Shaping up like the last 2 years. A little warm spell in February then mid March and April when the grass is supposed to be getting rolling it will be cold and dry. All this arse deep mud we have will be wasted as the water will be gone from it before the grass uses it. Everybody here use March 15th to April 1 as the cutoff thinking they will have grass by then. April 15th is usually more realistic and May 1 til it really has some punch to it. IMO

I have fed some yes. 60 cows and 30 weaned calves I have probably fed 100 rolls. I fed when it was dry early this winter. My stockpile was less than half of normal.

I am already making plans for next winter. I hope to not feed more than 30 days next year.
Virginia has an extension program geared towards being able to graze 300 days a year. I told them I had been grazing more than that for several years. This fall I bought lots more cows than I should have with the thoughts that the price was going to be higher and it is. I have cows I bought in the fall for .35 that have gained weight and will bring .70 now. I been selling a few off the farm because everyone wants cows when they get high.

I am already making plans for next winter. I hope to not feed more than 30 days next year.
Virginia has an extension program geared towards being able to graze 300 days a year. I told them I had been grazing more than that for several years. This fall I bought lots more cows than I should have with the thoughts that the price was going to be higher and it is. I have cows I bought in the fall for .35 that have gained weight and will bring .70 now. I been selling a few off the farm because everyone wants cows when they get high.
300 plus grazing days is amazing Kenny. I'm curious to know your stocking rate? We graze about 250 days with 4-5 acres per cow here. I don't have any fescue though.

300 plus grazing days is amazing Kenny. I'm curious to know your stocking rate? We graze about 250 days with 4-5 acres per cow here. I don't have any fescue though.
With good management I can do a cow per 1.5 acres. But I'm still not sure where the break even is on management. I spread 2.5 ton per acre of lime last fall. I soil test and have fertilizer ordered. It cost but compared to feeding hay I like it better.
I buy calves and usually a couple cows weekly so it's tough to figure numbers exactly. The numbers are rarely the same from week to week. These cattle usually get hay unless I plan on them staying around for a while so I still need hay. But they are kept separate.

I have been working towards this the last few years Kenny. The last 2 however the stockpile didn't cooperate like you said I have half as much grass as I should to work with. Probably at about 270ish days right now with the growing seasons we have had lately. The first year my stockpile did well and I got to about 290 with more cows than I have now.

Everything about putting a hay bale in front of a cow is a money losing proposition. Necessary, but costly none the less.

I am not familiar with any other grass that will stockpile and stay in good condition other than fescue.
Lots of guys will stockpile here but I found out that anything but fescue is just a belly filler. Seems like pretty much everything else is like cardboard nutritional wise. Sounds like you've got a good management plan. I really need to lime but it just cost so much for a "maybe" return with the weather we've had over the last 5 yrs.

We are relocating to my home area and I will update my profile when appropriate, but we're back in my home area where three acres to the cow is understocking.

Latest posts