alisonb 7:
Buildings_zps922c99ca7_zps814c3968.jpg

creekdrive 8:
IMG_5646sm_zps160d11718_zpsdb8821be.jpg

denvermartinfarms 9:
8A2AF87D-D111-425C-A495-D863BAADBB65_zpshif0brwo9_zps8c593d44.jpg

ga.prime 10:
DSCN1207_zps3e96beff10_zpsc3bb43c4.jpg

Great pics, I had intended on taking a couple pics of some old baccer barns around here but it rained all day.

M5farm":1yknb38v said:
Great pics, I had intended on taking a couple pics of some old baccer barns around here but it rained all day.

That's very interesting. I didn't know very much tobacco was raised in Florida.

Yep it was a huge cash crop in the 20s thru 70s mainly. It was done on quota. The farmers Had 2 to 5 acre allotment. The old barn here fell about 10 years ago . There are 5 more barns within a mile of my house. In the seventies all of the farmers sold their quota to a farm out of Georgia that leased the land next.to mine and grew about 80 acres. I started priming tobacco when I was 12 years old. I do think it wwas mainly in my area over to around Tallahassee. The buying point was in Havana Florida and they still have alot of the huge barns there. I will get a pic this week just for curiosity sake. What's unique about our barns is they were about 25x25 x 30 or so tall. They all had poles horizontal to the top to climb up and hang tobacco from. They all also had green 90# rolled roofing on the sides to seal them

There was a lot of tobacco raised here too. Seen 20 acres a few years ago. It basically all but stopped in the late eighties early nineties.

M5farm":2tbcw0qp said:
Yep it was a huge cash crop in the 20s thru 70s mainly. It was done on quota. The farmers Had 2 to 5 acre allotment. The old barn here fell about 10 years ago . There are 5 more barns within a mile of my house. In the seventies all of the farmers sold their quota to a farm out of Georgia that leased the land next.to mine and grew about 80 acres. I started priming tobacco when I was 12 years old. I do think it wwas mainly in my area over to around Tallahassee. The buying point was in Havana Florida and they still have alot of the huge barns there. I will get a pic this week just for curiosity sake. What's unique about our barns is they were about 25x25 x 30 or so tall. They all had poles horizontal to the top to climb up and hang tobacco from. They all also had green 90# rolled roofing on the sides to seal them

M5, and lrtx1

Tobacco is the way my family made a living for generations. I still find it very interesting. I quit with the buy out. Some days I miss it, and some days I don't.

Bigfoot":1ppc51cm said:
M5farm":1ppc51cm said:

M5, and lrtx1

Tobacco is the way my family made a living for generations. I still find it very interesting. I quit with the buy out. Some days I miss it, and some days I don't.

while it was not the main income for my grandparents that 2 acres they tended during the late depression years with a mule and hoe helped get them started in the hog business. tobacco back then paid about 10 times what the others crops did per acre. During this time my grandfather would feed a cane press for 25 cent a day and my grandmother worked the farm.

I never had anything to do with tobacco. We were to busy farming vegetables. Did know a few boys in school whose family grew it. Most of the vegetables have been replaced with cotton, soybeans and peanuts now. We replaced them cows.

TexasBred":1rgezc0i said:
Can't remember the last time I saw one of those old fire towers. Didnt' know any were still standing.
Come up here, they are all over. I can think of atleast 10 a hour from home. Some still get used, some they only use to hold radio antenna's. my first picture got turned down so I sent that one in at the last minute because it was in my phone. I have 2 others that might acctually get some votes if I had time to take them. I think this is a good contest that we should have again in a few months.

Bigfoot":3b547e7g said:
M5farm":3b547e7g said:

M5, and lrtx1

I miss it the most about the middle of December. Tobacco is making a comeback in our area though. One guy here has 17 acres. He said that last year he averages a little over $2 a pound.

TexasBred":70fd9yup said:
Can't remember the last time I saw one of those old fire towers. Didnt' know any were still standing.
Several around here too-one about 5 miles from me and was another up at Pumpkin about 12 miles east that they layed down with a big crane and it sat there for years before someone came in and cut it up for scrap. I wanted to buy it and set it up on my place but the cost of the crane and moving it was waay too much for my pocket.

Great pics. I can't help but look at pics like these and think of the work that went in to them--especially ones like the brick building. I seen lots of them riding a train across Texas one time--on a train, you see the back side of people's lives--kinda like driving down an alley behind a subdivision full of fancy houses all neat and pretty in the front and full of all kinds of stuff in the back along the alley, where nothing much drives but the trash pick up truck.
The dust of our lives that we leave behind....

greybeard":1177mmwb said:
TexasBred":1177mmwb said:
Several around here too-one about 5 miles from me and was another up at Pumpkin about 12 miles east that they layed down with a big crane and it sat there for years before someone came in and cut it up for scrap. I wanted to buy it and set it up on my place but the cost of the crane and moving it was waay too much for my pocket.

Great pics. I can't help but look at pics like these and think of the work that went in to them--especially ones like the brick building. I seen lots of them riding a train across Texas one time--on a train, you see the back side of people's lives--kinda like driving down an alley behind a subdivision full of fancy houses all neat and pretty in the front and full of all kinds of stuff in the back along the alley, where nothing much drives but the trash pick up truck.
The dust of our lives that we leave behind....
Lot of people want those towers now. You can't get one for much under 25000$.

denvermartinfarms":1uggwnzs said:
Lot of people want those towers now. You can't get one for much under 25000$.
Seems like it would be awfully expensive dismantling a tower, hauling it to your location and putting it back up. Might be worth that "delivered and installed".

Latest posts