Quad recommendation please

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
It seems UTV's are the preferred choice and we may get one down the road but we are looking at getting a quad for checking fences, cows and some hunting. Looking at a quad in the 500cc range and looking for recommendations and pros and cons of the different models available today?
Any input is appreciated.

I have a Yamaha big bear. It's been bulletproof it's a 2000 model. But if I was to buy a new one I would go with a Honda Rancher.

Not sure about the new ones, but ive had my Honda Foreman for about 13 years, and its given me great service. Hopefully it has many more years left in it, but it's replacement will be another Honda when the day comes.

My 03 rancher for me has been a excellent machine but will be replaced in the next couple of years. They earned my business and I will not look very hard for anything else except another one. Heck the original battery lasted over 11 years.

I have a Polaris sportsman been good to me. Love my wheeler over the gator I had before, just personal preference I guess. If a Honda dealer wasn't 2 hours away I would probably own one. Dealer service is something to consider no matter what brand things can happen, and even regular maintenance don't wanna spend a half a day driving to get oil and a filter.

My 2002 Kawasaki 400 has been bullet proof. I will finally have to put new brakes in front end this year, but that is first 'major?' expense ever. About 10k miles on it. Would only go Kawasaki again, either ATV or a Mule. Dealer quit locally, so I will have to go some distance for the next one. Lots of guys like Polaris and Arctic Cat locally because dealers still available and they are built to look cool with accessories, but see a lot that need major repairs after a couple thousand miles.

I have a very old (1994 I think) Yamaha big bear 350... it's been through h3ll and back, several times I'm sure.. it's beat up, but it runs like a top.. transmission is giving me grief now though.

I'm finding the price of even old ATV's here is just stupid.. I was looking at other 350's.. and they are asking about 3K for a late 90's in decent shape.. I just can't justify that.. I guess I'll look at what's messing up in the transmission and throw it a bone

The Yamahas are tough too. My 1998 Kodiak 400 pulled a 150 gallon, 40ft boom sprayer for probably 80+% of it's 5300 mile life so far. Never any major problems.

yamaha.

polaris sportsman are good bang for the buck but the best on the market is a yamaha grizzly or kodiak.

I like honda as well ( I have a 2010 rancher) but the damn transmissions are junk. the shifting is a joke. I'd like to just have 1 nice big gear just like the yamaha's.

i was reading some mag and soem ranchers out west had 2 yamaha's that had 40k miles each on them!

I have a Honda Rancher. Not quite 500cc, but if I need power I use a tractor.

I put Titan front and rear baskets, a winch and a gun rack on it and it is about as good of a tool as you could ask for.

Aaron":21yk5sjs said:
My 2002 Kawasaki 400 has been bullet proof.

A neighbor used to race ATVs. He drives Kawasaki. Nearest Kawasaki dealer will not take Artic Cat on trade. :nod:

Polaris dealer is 3 miles from me, and I see him often. What do you consider the (fairly) trouble free life of a Polaris?

Brute 23":2d6dq9u8 said:
For what a new atv costs you can buy a realy solid used utv.

Used utvs are somewhat rare here. I was thinking about a jeep instead.

Is there a lot of upgrading causing a used utv glut in Texas?

Stocker Steve":1k9b3nv2 said:
Brute 23":1k9b3nv2 said:

Used utvs are somewhat rare here. Is there a lot of upgrading causing a used utv glut in Texas?

Mostly deer hunters buy them and sell em after the season, lose their lease , wife throws a fit etc.
Atv is something I don't do without and I like to keep two good ones on hand ,minimum
I've always had Hondas until I bought a 650 Kawasaki a couple years ago. Just bought a 750 and for now I'm sold on Kawasaki.
The 750 will easily handle a 1500 pound round bale in mud with a tumble bug.
You just gotta keep the kids off em. They have to much power. The lock in lever that locks all four wheels in gear is the cats azz for loading on a high flatbed with steep wet ramps

btw.. the new ranchers are also a solid axle in the rear.. not independent like before. That will make a hard ride in the field.

Honda has really cheapened out the newer ranchers.. I'd take a hard look at one before putting out the money. I've seen new sportsmans (polaris) for 5600. You can get a yamaha for around 6400.

callmefence":3sldl08j said:
Stocker Steve":3sldl08j said:
Brute 23":3sldl08j said:

Used utvs are somewhat rare here. Is there a lot of upgrading causing a used utv glut in Texas?

Mostly deer hunters buy them and sell em after the season, lose their lease , wife throws a fit etc.
Atv is something I don't do without and I like to keep two good ones on hand ,minimum
I've always had Hondas until I bought a 650 Kawasaki a couple years ago. Just bought a 750 and for now I'm sold on Kawasaki.
The 750 will easily handle a 1500 pound round bale in mud with a tumble bug.
You just gotta keep the kids off em. They have to much power. The lock in lever that locks all four wheels in gear is the cats azz for loading on a high flatbed with steep wet ramps

Kawaski's Brute Force 650 and 750 are beasts. Their v-twin has always been a torque monster. With a little tweaking you can make those things down right scary.

Yes there are a decent amount of used utvs to be had. A lot are related to the hunting like fence said. Those are usually in great shape.

Polaris and Can Am are always pushing the envelope and are the brand to go with if you want a thrill. But the opportunity cost of new technology is reliability, their customers do the product testing.

Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki generally stick with the same tried and true designs for 10+ years, and only redesign when forced to. Honda and Kawasaki especially. The current Bayou 250 is largely the same as the Bayou 220 that you could get in the early 90s.

Given the choice and good weather, I much prefer an ATV to a UTV for most work. An ATV is twice as nimble, narrower, tighter turning, and you can get them under trees and branches that will snag the roof on a UTV.

A UTV is nice in cold weather and rain, but heated handgrips and a windshield can be fitted to an ATV.

If I were going to buy a new one it would be a Grizzly, closely followed by the Brute Force and King Quad.

Stocker Steve":1l8stwoa said:
Aaron":1l8stwoa said:
My 2002 Kawasaki 400 has been bullet proof.

A neighbor used to race ATVs. He drives Kawasaki. Nearest Kawasaki dealer will not take Artic Cat on trade. :nod:

Polaris dealer is 3 miles from me, and I see him often. What do you consider the (fairly) trouble free life of a Polaris?

I've got a 02 Sportsman 500 HO that I bought, gently used, in "11. I use it daily, sometimes twice a day or more when checking hfrs. It has needed service occasionally. For example, I replaced the front suspension bushings year before last, or the year before, and the rear suspension bushings last winter. I've changed the oil twice in it since I've bought it. I put gas in it, and shoot the tires a little air occasionally. That's it. It's been a hell of a machine. No, zero, problems with the transmission, belts, carbs, nothing. Oh, and replaced the steering column bushing back in early summer. Most of my problems seem related to greasing, which is odd, I grease most everything else religiously. I guess maybe because it's used so much, idk.
I have other things on my mind.