Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I am going to retire in 2 years and need your thoughts. I have several spread out pastures but my Family owns 135 ac. I am going to build a house this year and would like some input on how to stay busy and make a modest living. I thought about the Bull biz or the seed stock biz. I do not have to make much money since I will be living off my retirement. I just want to stay busy for the next 20 years.

well if your going to retire in 2yrs.id suggest having enough cows to make you some spending an living on money.how old are you anyway.i retired at 35.but i dont need that much money.an youve got a wife an kids.so you need to know how much money it takes you to live on for a year.

bigbull338":15qt4xrr said:
well if your going to retire in 2yrs.id suggest having enough cows to make you some spending an living on money.how old are you anyway.i retired at 35.but i dont need that much money.an youve got a wife an kids.so you need to know how much money it takes you to live on for a year.

I would like to be able to retire at 35, somehow I can't see that happening anytime soon (probably not even in another 35 years)

bigbull338":uhzldjao said:
well if your going to retire in 2yrs.id suggest having enough cows to make you some spending an living on money.how old are you anyway.
  • retired at 35.
ibut i dont need that much money.an youve got a wife an kids.so you need to know how much money it takes you to live on for a year.
did you retire or just quit working :lol:

Bigbull you lucky rascal. ;-) 35 years old went by me so fast I didn't even realize it...then 40, then 50 and so on...Glad you're enjoying what you're doing now. :tiphat:

it was a forced retirement.the milk prices stayed low to long.feed an cattle prices went to high.so after 5yrs of fighting decided to close the barn.an run beef cows.from the time i was 15 i was used to putting long hrs.an some days would work 24hrs w/o stopping or sleeping.

bigbull338":20g1ww3h said:
it was a forced retirement.the milk prices stayed low to long.feed an cattle prices went to high.so after 5yrs of fighting decided to close the barn.an run beef cows.from the time i was 15 i was used to putting long hrs.an some days would work 24hrs w/o stopping or sleeping.

I know you have a few registered beefmasters, do you also run a commercial herd?

yes run 60 crossbred cows.that are exposed to a reg beefmaster bull.so still have enough cows underfoot.would like to see the reg herd push the comm herd out.but we can run 100 to 150hd pretty easy.

So what should I do
1. Cow/Calf: I am currently running about 50 head and my cow/calf cost is around $ 400 per calf so this want work.
2. Feeder calves: I have played with these numbers and can not figure out how to make any money at this.
3. Bull Breeder: I don't know much about this but I learn very quickly. I also usually find a mentor to help me on something that I do not know about and that is were the forum could in or I can find someone near my home to teach me. Angus do well here and most of my Bulls are Angus except for 1 Brangus and 1 Charlois. I currently have 6 other 2 year old Angus Bulls that were bought in Jaspser TN.
4. Replacement heifers: Same as above but I learn very quick.

Some of the above will be challenging since Im not very smart on the EPD's and bloodlines.It is strange that most most people buy their Angus Bulls from the Northern and Western states and not Florida Angus.

Central Fl Cracker":wzztg2ht said:
So what should I do
1. Cow/Calf: I am currently running about 50 head and my cow/calf cost is around $ 400 per calf so this want work.

...most of my Bulls are Angus except for 1 Brangus and 1 Charlois. I currently have 6 other 2 year old Angus Bulls that were bought in Jaspser TN.

Just curious, why so many bulls?

What about going to the sale barn a lot and picking up heavy two year old heifers that didn't take. Feeding them a bit and selling them for freezer beef. You'll have time to network and spend time finding bargains. Could be fun and profitable.

Central Fl Cracker":mlj23z2i said:
Some of the above will be challenging since Im not very smart on the EPD's and bloodlines.It is strange that most most people buy their Angus Bulls from the Northern and Western states and not Florida Angus.

The problem around here is folks think they can buy any reg bull/cow combination and sell for prices of much better stock, in better shape, with better EPD's, for the same money. I have looked at some of the "Registered Angus" bulls around here and most I wouldn't have on my place. Long shaggy haired skinny things. I will pay more money for imported bulls from other states. There are some pretty good breeders around here that have good bulls but since most of the property is turning into theme parks, housing communities, or RV resorts, there are fewer and fewer producers to sell bulls, cow/calf pairs, or even replacements to.

Oh, I would also mention if you have $400 in each calf, something is wrong somewhere.

flaboy":3k9kqjvz said:
Oh, I would also mention if you have $400 in each calf, something is wrong somewhere.

I don;t think that in some areas 400 bucks is all that bad. If that includes, as it should, the cost of the cows upkeep, vaccinations, minerals, value of the forage it consumes, depreciation of facilities, etc.

When and if I am ever able to retire above ground I think I am going to open an anvil repair service. You'll know me when you see me cause I'll be the fella easing down the road in front of you as you are speeding to the parts place before they close. Yeah, I'll be going slow but its just because I can. ;-)

Jogeephus":38y774te said:
When and if I am ever able to retire above ground I think I am going to open an anvil repair service. You'll know me when you see me cause I'll be the fella easing down the road in front of you as you are speeding to the parts place before they close. Yeah, I'll be going slow but its just because I can. ;-)
so it's you i get behind runnin' 30 mph every morning headin' to hardy's for that gravy biscuit and gossip

ALACOWMAN":yi1x4pp2 said:
Jogeephus":yi1x4pp2 said:
so it's you i get behind runnin' 30 mph every morning headin' to hardy's for that gravy biscuit and gossip

Not yet, BUT IT IS GOING TO BE!!! (and it will be 27.5 mph - downhill)

Central Fl Cracker":v14wogxm said:
I am going to retire in 2 years and need your thoughts. I have several spread out pastures but my Family owns 135 ac. I am going to build a house this year and would like some input on how to stay busy and make a modest living. I thought about the Bull biz or the seed stock biz.

I do not have to make much money since I will be living off my retirement. I just want to stay busy for the next 20 years

Since profit is not the main issue, just do the thing that you will enjoy the most.
In my opinion that is what retirement is all about.

Latest posts