Should I buy the whole herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

DaveM

Reaction score
I've started raising a herd of miniature herefords. My plan includes keeping around ten good cows, selling calves for beef or show prospects. Anyway, to make a long story short, while looking for bred cows, I've run across a guy that wants to sell me his entire herd of miniature herefords. He has a total of eleven head and no Bulls. He said he recently got rid of the bull because he only ended up with 2 calves last year. His cows may or may not be bred right now. I offered to pay to have a vet check them to see if they are bred and he said the closest vet is an hour away and would cost $250 to get vet there. I am writing this post to ask advice on what I should look for when evaluating an opportunity like this. I'd also like to know a range of what a fair price mght be to buy all eleven. He says all are able to be registered. This sounds like a good opportunity to get my herd size up to where I want to be, but I'm fairly new to the business and would like to know what to look for or more importantly what to watch out for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One big mistake that many hobby farmers made is when they are expanding their herd of miniatures...there's hardly any demand for miniature cattle other than lowline and they ended up have too many surplus animals that hasn't sold. Maybe that's why this guy wants to sell his cattle to get out of mini cattle business.

Biggest problem with minis is not the demand, but the outrageous prices that are asked for them. In my opinion they should be priced less than standard cattle not 2-3 times more.

If they were priced appropriately I would get a token one or two.

A lot of people get small cows because they're 'easier to handle'... I'll take a big tame cow over a small wild one any day... trust me they're easier to handle. Maybe these are just fine.
Taurus is perfectly right too...

If he only had 2 calves last year, chances are the bull wasn't doing his job, and none of them might be bred now... Perhaps you can get a bull and breed them and they'll be fine, but it'll take a while until you get calves from them.

AllForage":11jtzt6w said:
Biggest problem with minis is not the demand, but the outrageous prices that are asked for them. In my opinion they should be priced less than standard cattle not 2-3 times more.

Sorry but the price isn't main reason as there are more affordable mini cattle nowadays than in the past. Seen a nice herd of bred dexter cows for $1,300 each cow on Craigslist. You do need a strong customer base to buying beef from the mini cattle.

It just sounds like a headache to me. #1-They aren't registered. #2-There were only 2 calves last year. Maybe the bull's fault, but what if it's not??? I would only pay rock bottom if they are GOOD. Average or low quality, I would absolutely pass.

I would draw blood for a pregnancy test on the ones that I would be interested in.
If I were to buy them, I would offer market price (slaughter price per pound). It may have been the bull's fault that they didn't calve, but there is always the possibility that he gave them a uterine infection too.
Sounds like the seller had a slipshod operation. Just my :2cents:

Taurus":2iinmrx1 said:
AllForage":2iinmrx1 said:

Sorry but the price isn't main reason as there are more affordable mini cattle nowadays than in the past. Seen a nice herd of bred dexter cows for $1,300 each cow on Craigslist. You do need a strong customer base to buying beef from the mini cattle.

Now you should know dexters aren't minis :)

If I raised minis I guarantee I would sell just as much beef. They take longer to finish and I would not make money most likely, but any market can be created. The OP is talking mini herfs and they run 3-5K usually.

AllForage":110u3abj said:
Taurus":110u3abj said:
AllForage":110u3abj said:

Now you should know dexters aren't minis :)

If I raised minis I guarantee I would sell just as much beef. They take longer to finish and I would not make money most likely, but any market can be created. The OP is talking mini herfs and they run 3-5K usually.
mini Herefords sells same as dexters and lowlines in most areas because they needs to get rid of their surplus animals. I can find a mini Hereford bull under $1,200 no problems. I even found a two years old mini herf bull for $800 few months ago. Like I said before you needs a strong customer base to keeps going. Many people got burnt with the mini cattle business, they thought they could making lots of money but in the end they're stuck with animals that nobody wants.

I came really close to buying mini Herefords 5 years ago. Got to looking into them and figured out I had to basically create my own market to sell them. Prices for cows and bulls were way up there and I actually ran across a cow with a sticker price of 20k. Just never figured I could get my money back so I went a different direction.

Taurus you are right on the breeding stock deal. If the OP was trying to market freezer beef out of them then go for it. I think it is a neat niche.

Around here everybody thinks their shyt is good enough to eat. you would not believe what people ask for stuff.

I think most of your questions were answered above. If you jump, and you want reg'd cattle, make sure the seller has all that paperwork in order! Trying to track that stuff down later can be a real pain in the arse -- sometimes impossible. Seller gets $$ in hand and any incentive for him to cooperate may be pretty much out the window.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll look in to drawing blood for a pregnancy test and make him a reasonable offer for only cows that are bred.

I have lowline and mini Herefords 16 head in all including a registered Hereford bull. I started with mini cows because they are easier to handle (I'm 62 now) easier on the fences and easier on the pastures. Now one of you guys said you get Mini's cause you don't what to do with bigger cows, beg to differ they are all cows and dumb as dirt! We live 30 miles southeast of Austin,Tx there is a market here for smaller packaged beef and hobby farms and Ag exemption. As far as buying this herd have a vet come out and check'em a lot cheaper than finding out they have a venereal disease. Bulls always have Tric tested I think I spelled that right. You guys have a great day!

Latest posts