Stocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Who's fixing to buy right now? I had some mutual funds for my son's college fund that have done well, but tanked as of late (as everything else did). I took those out to stop the bleeding, but I'm leaving the money in the account so I can rebuy them when things stop bleeding out to some degree. In the meantime, I have a couple of orders in for travel sector stocks. I set them really low, so when things continue to tank they should hit. I suspect it will take me several years for them to get back to substantial value, but I think they'll rebound in a couple of years. Heck, he's got 8 years to get to college, so I've got time.

I have a coworker who will turn 60 next month. He's done, ready to retire. He was telling me he lost over $100K in the past 2 weeks. Talk about a beating. :deadhorse:

Bestoutwest said:
Who's fixing to buy right now? I had some mutual funds for my son's college fund that have done well, but tanked as of late (as everything else did). I took those out to stop the bleeding, but I'm leaving the money in the account so I can rebuy them when things stop bleeding out to some degree. In the meantime, I have a couple of orders in for travel sector stocks. I set them really low, so when things continue to tank they should hit. I suspect it will take me several years for them to get back to substantial value, but I think they'll rebound in a couple of years. Heck, he's got 8 years to get to college, so I've got time.

I have a coworker who will turn 60 next month. He's done, ready to retire. He was telling me he lost over $100K in the past 2 weeks. Talk about a beating. :deadhorse:

He hasn't lost anything unless he sells.
I have been buying but what do I know.

Caustic Burno said:

He was planning on retiring in 2 years, which probably won't happen now. Yes, technically he didn't lose anything but value, but that value will have him working longer.

I'm glad I pulled out when I did, I would have lost another 7% on what I had in there. I have a feeling that after this thing shakes out there's going to be a bit wider division of wealth. It will be interesting to see. Lot of folks have not planned well for the future.

Selling is/ was a really bad idea right now. Its low but not that low. This was normal prices for 2016. We have just been at record setting highs so it seemed like a big fall. You should have been selling incrementally the last year or two if you wanted money to buy back in low.

This is where we actually are. It's far from end of world stuff. :roll:

I sent this to one of my buddies who like to talk all crazy about stocks like it's some big, intricate, mystical, being. I said it's not rocket science. :)

The problem is people get greedy and never sell on the up and are always to scared to buy on the down.

I have no doubt we will be back up in 2 years. As soon as there is a new some thing for the media to cling to this deal is done.

Smart guy in Austin told me about sharks and minnows back in the 90's. When the minnows get fat the sharks will feed. If you make the same moves that sharks like Dick Cheney and Diane Feinstein made you miraculously bought and sold at exactly the right time.

I'm thinking bout setting up a Pelosi hedge fund. My expertise is that we will do exactly what Nancy does. Buy what Nancy buys when she buys it. Sell what Nancy sells when she sells it.

I'm buying. Basically trying to improve my cost basis on stocks I already own.

Brute 23 said:
Selling is/ was a really bad idea right now. Its low but not that low. This was normal prices for 2016. We have just been at record setting highs so it seemed like a big fall. You should have been selling incrementally the last year or two if you wanted money to buy back in low.

This is where we actually are. It's far from end of world stuff. :roll:

I sent this to one of my buddies who like to talk all crazy about stocks like it's some big, intricate, mystical, being. I said it's not rocket science. :)

The problem is people get greedy and never sell on the up and are always to scared to buy on the down.

I have no doubt we will be back up in 2 years. As soon as there is a new some thing for the media to cling to this deal is done.

I, too, believe we'll be back up in a couple years. But I don't think we've seen the bottom, or ever close to it. There's a lot of places on lockdown/quarantine right now. This is going to have a very significant impact on the economy, with last effects. The biggest problem is that right now there's no telling on how long this thing is going to last. I've heard 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 3-6 months, and this morning up to 18 months. Once it's done, it's going to take time to recover. Throw a big rock into a pond, and the ripples reach all edges. Covid is quite the large stone, and it seems that every financial sector will see some sort of impact.

Ky cowboy said:
I'm setting up the Robin hood app. Planning on buying Boeing stock

You're brave. I have stock in Dollar General before the crash. They're crushing it but the rest of my portfolio may be cat food.

Bestoutwest said:
Caustic Burno said:

He was planning on retiring in 2 years, which probably won't happen now. Yes, technically he didn't lose anything but value, but that value will have him working longer.

I'm glad I pulled out when I did, I would have lost another 7% on what I had in there. I have a feeling that after this thing shakes out there's going to be a bit wider division of wealth. It will be interesting to see. Lot of folks have not planned well for the future.

I'm a long way from being an expert, but I wouldn't think now would be the time to sell unless you think your company will completely go out of business and you just want to salvage what's left, but I'm in it for the long haul. All mine have dropped considerably too, but they are companies that will survive, and when things get back to normal, I assume they will rise again. If the guy was planning to retire in two years, that's a long way off. His stocks could be doing great by then. Who knows.

herofan said:
I'm a long way from being an expert, but I wouldn't think now would be the time to sell unless you think your company will completely go out of business and you just want to salvage what's left, but I'm in it for the long haul. All mine have dropped considerably too, but they are companies that will survive, and when things get back to normal, I assume they will rise again. If the guy was planning to retire in two years, that's a long way off. His stocks could be doing great by then. Who knows.

With what I've heard, read and seen, I highly doubt the economy will have rebounded in 2 years. I think he's hosed. I sold out to stop the bleeding. I will buy back in when things bottom out some more. I made money on every investment, so I'm not too concerned.

shaz said:
Ky cowboy said:

You're brave. I have stock in Dollar General before the crash. They're crushing it but the rest of my portfolio may be cat food.
I just feel they are not going anywhere. The 52 week high was almost $400, now its 105. Might take few years to come back but I'm young. When this stuff blows over I think the economy will bounce back fast.

Ky cowboy said:
shaz said:
Ky cowboy said:

I just feel they are not going anywhere. The 52 week high was almost $400, now its 105. Might take few years to come back but I'm young. When this stuff blows over I think the economy will bounce back fast.

I think Boeing will overcome eventually but I think it will be much longer than two years. They were having some serious trouble before this incident. Mainly bc of their 737 problems, but there were a couple others as well. This pandemic will likely curb new aircraft demand somewhat while the major airlines get their feet back under them. I'm not saying Boeing is a bad buy bc I don't think it is. But I do think it will be 10ish years or so.
Disclaimer: My advice is probably worth exactly what you paid for it!

Ky cowboy said:
shaz said:
Ky cowboy said:

It will be slower to respond in my opinion. Why because a lot of capital has been lost by individual investors. It took eight long years of steady growth from 2008 to get to the point that I felt comfortable with my investments. There were some losers and some winners and some losers that I sold that become winners. The CEO's that run companies will need to address their owners of the stock and quit trying to enrich themselves and quit buying into companies that they know nothing about. Short selling and option trading needs to stop. Money for the producers and investors that back the companies need to be rewarded along with the CEO's. Directors on the boards of the companies need to take responsibility. Just my thoughts on this. The Dow is about the same value as it was in 2016. The value of my stock is not the same value as it was then. The value of my portfolio is 1/3 of what it was then. I have more days behind me than in front of me. It does not take a lot for me and the wife to get by. My age 79 and hers is 76. We were discussing our life and talking about one of us good chance will live without the other unless a car wreak or something takes both of us out. I had been picking the stock that I bought and sold. Thought that maybe it was time to try a mutual fund. Put $300,000 in a vanguard fund and in the last month this value is now $159,000 so much for the experts. Still holding own and hope that things get better. Not for me but the young families that are struggling and will be for a while. Hope never dies. Hope I can pass a legacy along to the kids and grand kids and to the great grand kids.

Very good article on the stock market.
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/f974b1c8-0ee8-3ef2-8e13-cd9d4ee1fbba/you-can-be-%E2%80%98practically.html

Latest posts