Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

Been such a rainy year here I didn't get my garden planted until right before Memorial Day because it was too wet to till it before then. May have some yellow squash ready within a week but everything else is still way behind and already have people at work who take my excess harvest wondering why I have not brought in anything yet. I'm usually trying to give away lettuce around this time of the year and I haven't had any luck getting my lettuce seed to take this year. Wondering if it is too wet or hot or combo of both. Yesterday I took some leftover plastic pots from my tomato and pepper plant transplants and put some potting soil and lettuce seed in them and going to try a more controlled grow to get some plants started that way. Everything else is healthy and growing for tomatoes, peppers, green beans, broccoli and cucumbers but at least 3-4 weeks behind when I usually plant. Was given some shallots which I have never grown, was worried the bulbs may have rotted like some of my white onions did in the saturated soil but seeing some tops now and am told to harvest them when the tops start to whither and die which happens around 90 days so guess I have about 2 more months of waiting on them.

jltrent":ki07h75h said:
Been working on beans the last few days..Yesterday canned 28 quarts and the day before 21 quarts of peanut beans.....been a good year.

28 quarts yesterday canned

gdAxCaU.jpg

I counted 128 total quarts canned. I hope 32 gallon will be enough as my fingers are getting tired. :lol:

edZ5CVJ.jpg

Looks good keep up the good work

skyhightree1":rlatd0u6 said:
So much rain it's ridiculous now the watermelons are rotting.. I did manage to salvage this.
Looks good, the rain should help a lot of those keep producing.

jltrent":2r5w3tbr said:
skyhightree1":2r5w3tbr said:
So much rain it's ridiculous now the watermelons are rotting.. I did manage to salvage this.
Looks good, the rain should help a lot of those keep producing.

I agree the end rot on the peppers is making me pull them early it sucks i love stuff peppers but seems ill have some bite size stuffed peppers

1982vett":jk8qdb4s said:
Bite size stuffed pepper poppers sounds good to me

Come on up ill have a few hundred... I like putting spaghetti in mine and or taco beef and cheese mostly. What do you put in yours?

Jalapeños....we aren't a big fan of cream cheese so cheddar is the cheese. Mix it with minced onion and garlic salt. meats - kinda whatever we are feeling or have, sausage, burger, Italian sausage, bacon. Taco meat sounds interesting. Haven't done that. Wrap with a thin sliced bacon and grill. Can be don in an oven too.

I'm not crazy about stuffed bell pepper but I do like to cook with it. Just needs to be chopped up fine so meatballs is the way for me rather than stuffed. They vary as to what I have too. Made some last week that were real tasty maybe because it's been a while or just cause they were simple. Used roughly 1 1/2 lb hamburger, tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder, salt, pepper, 1/4 c minced celery, 3/4 sleeve premium crackers and 2 eggs. I put these in a covered pan and cook for a few minutes then tuned and cook a few more just to give a little color, then added chicken broth and covered to finish cooking. Could put them in an oven and bake too.

Some of the more "complex" would have minced mushroom, bell pepper, Parmesan cheese, maybe Italian seasoning. Could use bread or panko bread crumbs instead of crackers but I prefer crackers. I once used a recipe that used rice which was pretty good.

Served with spaghetti and choice of spaghetti sauce or Alfredo sauce..... :oops: :secret: out of a jar.. :hide:

1982vett":1v0eg28k said:
Jalapeños....we aren't a big fan of cream cheese so cheddar is the cheese. Mix it with minced onion and garlic salt. meats - kinda whatever we are feeling or have, sausage, burger, Italian sausage, bacon. Taco meat sounds interesting. Haven't done that. Wrap with a thin sliced bacon and grill. Can be don in an oven too.

I'm not crazy about stuffed bell pepper but I do like to cook with it. Just needs to be chopped up fine so meatballs is the way for me rather than stuffed. They vary as to what I have too. Made some last week that were real tasty maybe because it's been a while or just cause they were simple. Used roughly 1 1/2 lb hamburger, tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder, salt, pepper, 1/4 c minced celery, 3/4 sleeve premium crackers and 2 eggs. I put these in a covered pan and cook for a few minutes then tuned and cook a few more just to give a little color, then added chicken broth and covered to finish cooking. Could put them in an oven and bake too.

Some of the more "complex" would have minced mushroom, bell pepper, Parmesan cheese, maybe Italian seasoning. Could use bread or panko bread crumbs instead of crackers but I prefer crackers. I once used a recipe that used rice which was pretty good.

Served with spaghetti and choice of spaghetti sauce or Alfredo sauce..... :oops: :secret: out of a jar.. :hide:

Nice... out of jar :lol:

Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

36558240_1906544549643435_4166779766508093440_n.jpg

Jogeephus":28r8s0sh said:
Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

Looks good, I'll take that cantaloupe on the right. :lol:

Jogeephus":24k10mmq said:
Know the feeling. We haven't finished the cantaloupe I cut up Friday and picked 15 more yesterday.

Jogeephus":27apehx1 said:

looks good

1982vett":2a495ba3 said:
Jogeephus":2a495ba3 said:
Know the feeling. We haven't finished the cantaloupe I cut up Friday and picked 15 more yesterday.

Sounds like you need to be making some cantaloupe wine .... if there is such a thing.

Worked in the sun all day yesterday and we ended up eating two watermellons and a cantaloupe. Seemed to be more refreshing than water.

The good thing is their aren't as many this year but they are bigger. I've picked a couple that are almost the size of a soccer ball. ''Tis a shame their shelf life is so short and not much else you can do with them.

For Summer Garden

Dug a couple hills of potatoes to see how they are looking as I usually don't dig until after Labor Day as they will keep better. From now until then they should about double in size.

YfG51rD.jpg

Started on the beets as they are my favorite.

mpOLe6V.jpg

jltrent":3vc2m25o said:
For Summer Garden

Dug a couple hills of potatoes to see how they are looking as I usually don't dig until after Labor Day as they will keep better. From now until then they should about double in size.

YfG51rD.jpg

Started on the beets as they are my favorite.

mpOLe6V.jpg

Looking good.. I'm going to bush hog mine everything but the sweet potatoes I give up on fighting this losing battle of the summer garden

Picked some melons today. Charleston Gray and Yellow Doll's. Yellow Doll's sometimes bring funny looks on people's faces when they cut into them and see yellow flesh.

36957939_1912977302333493_6808541230322941952_n.jpg

Latest posts