They're getting worse than the hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

That's a nice collection fence. I find them while feeding but usually smaller sheds. My buddies that spray with Big A's hate the sheds. They've started just sawing them off flush with the tire and leaving them as long as possible.

We moved the neighbors cows a few weeks ago. The cows cut over a saddle in the ridge. I ran around on the two track to hold the left flank. One of the gals who followed them over the saddle found two sets of matched 4 point sheds. Not that often to find both antlers side by side let alone two sets within a couple hundred yards of each other.

Ah, welcome to our world. You have hogs we have whitetails.
I would say I'd trade you, but the DNR says it's illegal to shoot feral hogs in IL. It would just make to much sense to get rid of them.

I would say I'd trade you, but the DNR says it's illegal to shoot feral hogs in IL. It would just make to much sense to get rid of them.
Hunting hogs has never proven to have a population impact with hogs. Thus the reason behind not hunting them. Hunting only encourages population growth.

Hunting hogs has never proven to have a population impact with hogs. Thus the reason behind not hunting them. Hunting only encourages population growth.

That is nonsense.

There is a valid discussion in there some where but you need to choose your wording better.

I know about 150 people that hog hunt. It's all they talk about or want to do. The problem is they never kill the hogs. They let them go, sell them, or haul em around in a trailer for everyone to see and then let them go.

How does the dnr have any control of feral farm animals on private property ?

We've got what is many years the highest whitetail population in the country. The sheds I suppose are partly due to higher buck pop. Due to regulations. Imo one reason I've got so many deer this year was we added crimson clover to our oats. I could drive by nieghbor fields and there would be a handful of deer. It wasn't uncommon to see 30-50 deer in one of my oat fields this year. The only difference was the clover. I would like to keep using it but I don't think I can as long as the deer pop is so dense.

That is nonsense.

There is a valid discussion in there some where but you need to choose your wording better

Not sure how my wording was incorrect.
It has been shown that hog hunting causes hogs to turn more nocturnal, making them tougher to keep tabs on.
But there are other things at play.
Hunters generally concern themselves with killing the largest pig. Shooting of boars has no population impact.
As well, increased hunting also encourages people to make money off hogs. So they raise them, release them and increase the population that way.

It's completely counter intuitive to common sense, but for wild pigs itches been shown that hunting only makes the problem worse.

Not sure how my wording was incorrect.
It has been shown that hog hunting causes hogs to turn more nocturnal, making them tougher to keep tabs on.
But there are other things at play.
Hunters generally concern themselves with killing the largest pig. Shooting of boars has no population impact.
As well, increased hunting also encourages people to make money off hogs. So they raise them, release them and increase the population that way.

It's completely counter intuitive to common sense, but for wild pigs itches been shown that hunting only makes the problem worse.
Like brute said your wording is poor. Well planned organized hunts can wipe out a entire sounder in a night.
What you should say is recreational hunting can cause more problems than it cures. On that I can agree.

Like brute said your wording is poor. Well planned organized hunts can wipe out a entire sounder in a night.
What you should say is recreational hunting can cause more problems than it cures. On that I can agree.
Exactly. Commercial hunting for sure. Poorly managed recreational hunting, also.

Texas was very laxed on the laws originally as were other states. They should have stopped the transportation of hogs immediately.

We have rules on our properties that every hog is shot on sight. We trap out the smaller pigs and groups, rifle hunt the trap smart pigs, and dog what is left. It does curtail the hog activity on those properties. I know quite a few people who are writing the same in their hunting leases and have threated to boot leasees who didn't follow it.

If we, or the farmers in the area did nothing, they would pretty much put us out of business.

Our two biggest problems are, one, vacant properties. Just one property can supply thousands of acres with hogs.

The next problem is not blowing the feral hog market wide open for meat. When we had people who bought hogs for slaughter there were tons of hogs trapped and sold. It is a good source of revenue for people and a good source of affordable protein.

Hmmm, I don't think the wolf population at the turn of the nineteenth century would agree.
Hunting is only one part of the equation, but it's a big part.

They are "protected" you are supposed to report any sightings to the DNR just the same as cougars, wolves, and black bears.
How are they protected they aren't native animals.
They are genetically almost the same as domestic pigs being raised in pens in the same area.
What statute gives them the authority?
Can they regulate that you can't shoot a neighbors cow or dog if it gets on your property and starts to destroy things?
If not they can't legally protect the pigs.

Can they regulate that you can't shoot a neighbors cow or dog if it gets on your property and starts to destroy things?
Technically yes. That's why you never argue with the neighbors dog. Just 3S.
I re-read the IL dnr rules & regs. I will try and post them. You can shoot a big during firearm deer season of you have a valid unfilled deer tag and you must report it.

Feral Swine in Illinois - Feral swine (wild pigs) are escaped animals from free range livestock operations, dumped pets and/or illegal releases. Feral swine negatively impact wildlife and wildlife habitat. These animals have a high reproductive potential and populations must be reduced by 70 percent each year simply to keep them from expanding. The Department regulates the transport, release, and harvest of feral swine. Specifically: • Hunters may only shoot feral swine during the firearm, muzzleloader, late-winter, and CWD deer seasons if the hunter possesses a valid firearm, muzzleloader, late-winter, or CWD deer permit. It is illegal to harvest feral swine outside of those dates, unless the individual has been issued a Nuisance Wildlife Permit from a District Wildlife Biologist. Pigs are considered feral swine if they are unrestrained and have adapted to living in a wild or free-roaming environment. Hunters who mistakenly or purposely shoot a domestic pig or someone's pet may be subject to civil and/or criminal charges. • Hunter-killed feral swine must be reported to the Department by contacting the Wildlife Disease and Invasive Animals Program Manager at 217-785-2614. Hunters may keep the legally harvested feral swine. • It is illegal to provide outfitting or guide services for feral swine hunting in Illinois. • It is illegal to hunt feral swine in an enclosure. • It is illegal to release, transport, and/or possess feral swine. Successful deer and turkey hunters who check in their harvest will be asked to report the number of feral swine they had observed during the hunting season in the county in which they were successful. These data will assist wildlife biologists in determining where feral swine are located and allow for removal of these animals before extensive agricultural and environmental damage occurs. The Department and United States Department of Agriculture have recently eliminated feral swine from the two areas known to have free ranging feral swine populations. Report feral swine sightings to: https://www.wildlifeillinois.org/ sightings/report

Last edited:

Latest posts