They're getting worse than the hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Same way they have control over whether you shoot an eagle or bird of prey... if they catch you.......
Eagles and birds of prey are native animal and are also protected by federal law .
Ferrel pigs are genetically domesticated pigs and dnr usually have no regulatory authority or laws that allow them authority to regulate domestic animals on private property,
It would be impossible to prove a ferral pig killed on private property was ferrel.
There is a huge difference between a law and a regulation. It would be interesting to see what would happen if it was challenged in court. I doubt it would hold up.

Eagles and birds of prey are native animal and are also protected by federal law .
Ferrel pigs are genetically domesticated pigs and dnr usually have no regulatory authority or laws that allow them authority to regulate domestic animals on private property,
It would be impossible to prove a ferral pig killed on private property was ferrel.
There is a huge difference between a law and a regulation. It would be interesting to see what would happen if it was challenged in court. I doubt it would hold up.
These aren't domesticated escapees. They speak Russian!
6C66A5DD-BD92-453C-98F4-C1CF3454FB8D.jpegA4F80AAA-6164-4AB4-9A8A-8C26DF22A4E3.jpeg
These have domestic cross with Russian.

CD8193D8-86EA-431A-806E-5FD83D207C59.jpeg

Not sure how my wording was incorrect.
It has been shown that hog hunting causes hogs to turn more nocturnal, making them tougher to keep tabs on.
But there are other things at play.
Hunters generally concern themselves with killing the largest pig. Shooting of boars has no population impact.
As well, increased hunting also encourages people to make money off hogs. So they raise them, release them and increase the population that way.

It's completely counter intuitive to common sense, but for wild pigs itches been shown that hunting only makes the problem worse.
High Pro feeds out of TX has a feed (you also have to utilize their special feeder) that will render those wild hogs sterile.

High Pro feeds out of TX has a feed (you also have to utilize their special feeder) that will render those wild hogs sterile.
It only works for thirty days effective against the boar only!
This is a great idea for the feed company, for this to work everyone and I mean everyone must keep this feed out 24/7/365. You are just supplementing with the deer Hunter making a healthier sow raising a healthier litter.

In 1885 the cattle market started to decline and by 1890 the bottom fell out. Cattle ranchers on the open range in NW Texas pooled their resources - horses and dogs - and rounded up thousands of wild hogs but driving them into traps. They combined all of the caught hogs and drove them with the dogs to livestock yards to ship by rail to processing plants. Between the dogs and cowboys they were so effective they caught nearly every wild hog in the panhandle.

I would love to see that today but there are too many fences to effectively capture them all.

I don't know why I thought of this story ... Perhaps it was the stupid comment about hunting not working on controlling hogs. Yes, hunting alone is not effective, but hunting with dogs, cowboys, and traps is extremely effective.

Depends on what is meant by "hunting"--it is war here fought in skirmishes. We killed over 90 last year through combination of hunting and trapping. Neighbors hired helicopter to fly river and shoot as many as they could. When my neighbors help with deterrence, the pressure makes the sounders travel away and over the mountain to less pressure. You are right that commercial hunting folks try for large boar but those with property damage are shooting any and all.

If you don't do anything, the population increases exponentially because of big litters. Hogs are diurnal, being active both day and night. It would be nice if there were an easy answer for co-existence but due to their large, frequent litters and depredation to land, it causes a lot of friction.

Not sure how my wording was incorrect.
It has been shown that hog hunting causes hogs to turn more nocturnal, making them tougher to keep tabs on.
But there are other things at play.
Hunters generally concern themselves with killing the largest pig. Shooting of boars has no population impact.
As well, increased hunting also encourages people to make money off hogs. So they raise them, release them and increase the population that way.

It's completely counter intuitive to common sense, but for wild pigs itches been shown that hunting only makes the problem worse.

Freaking deer are horrible! We have an SUV in the body shop waiting to be fixed now. Everything that we own has been hit by deer, some multiple times. Hunters REPORT killing over 2000 per year in the county, don't find some so they kill a different one, don't report some and butcher their own. Automobiles kill a thousand easy. At the end of hunting season you can't tell any difference. We have plenty of rain, cover, and crops. Wish that we didn't have any. When I was a kid if someone said that they saw one nobody believed them. Now we have deer, deer ticks, deer flies, coyotes. Doesn't bother the animal rights nuts in their offices and homes in town.

Freaking deer are horrible! We have an SUV in the body shop waiting to be fixed now. Everything that we own has been hit by deer, some multiple times. Hunters REPORT killing over 2000 per year in the county, don't find some so they kill a different one, don't report some and butcher their own. Automobiles kill a thousand easy. At the end of hunting season you can't tell any difference. We have plenty of rain, cover, and crops. Wish that we didn't have any. When I was a kid if someone said that they saw one nobody believed them. Now we have deer, deer ticks, deer flies, coyotes. Doesn't bother the animal rights nuts in their offices and homes in town.
The hunter numbers are down. I blame that on liability to have them on you property.

TP&W gives permits and has increased the bag limits and all the deer that need to get harvested still don't.

That tractor tire has a tube in it..yes? If not easy 4 radial plugs with liquid rubber will fix that in a jiffy. I would not patch that tire (if tubeless) i'd plugged it. Let us know how you fixed it.
I just plugged it with a plug kit I keep in the tractor. Easy peasy.
Who runs tubes anymore??

Latest posts