Update: This will be the worst opening day EVER in over 30 years! :(

Help Support CattleToday:

Last Thursday I had cataract surgery on my left eye. Had to wear a hard plastic patch for 3 days so I couldn't rub it in my sleep. Couldn't drive for 24 hours. Couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs or bend over for a week. It was a week later, this past Thursday, before I could get out in the sun with out wearing welding-lens type dark sunglasses, But, Friday I went for the 1 week check up, and the doc said everything looked perfect. She said she has schedule the OP Surgery ( hospital is beside her office) for Aug 31st. I was glad to- get it scheduled so soon, til I realized that was 2 days before opening day. I told her that I couldn't do it that week., She only does these on Thursdays. she said there were no slots available in Sept ot Oct, and she doesn't do any in Nov or Dec. She said AUG 31st was open because no one wanted to have it a day before the Labor Day weekend. And she pointed pout that I probably wanted to get it done in 2023 before my deductible and out of pocket starts over Jan 1. So, I have no choice but to do it that day.

We have already sold all 250 dove shotting spots at $250, so calling it off is no option we want to consider, if possible. That is $62.5k right there. Plus we have about 40 of the MC that come on Saturday evening for the BBQ and band, and they pay the full price even if the don't shoot so that's another $10k. That plus money that people tip and just flat out donate, we most times end up with $100k or so for the 4H/FFA kids. With Scott's health deteriorating,...about all he can do is run the gate. I have to start the chickens ( actually,. rabbit, squirrel, quail , pheasant duck and turkey) for the stew Friday afternoon, set them off the fire about 11 o'clock. Start deboning about 4 -5AM, then put the pot back on the fire and start cooking the stew. while fixing breakfast for about 300 people to have ready by 5:30AM. Put the meat on the smoker for the BBQ that night. All of this time you are constantly having to stir the stew til supper time that night.; Then you have to start the fish fry about 11 AM, to have it ready for the noon til 2 break on the dove field. The ladies of MS Mattie's church are already planning on taking care of the sides, and the kids always help with the stew, toting firewood...just any general labor needed. My MC brothers had already laid down the law to me, that there will be 2 prospects at my sided 24/7 starting Friday, and that I am to tell them to pick up things, move stuff, stir, tote wood and water, etc.
But we don't have anyone else that knows the recipes and techniques for cooking all of this, in those quantities, at one time, Except Scott, and no way he can he pull the 48 hour marathon that I pull every year cooking all of this.

But, I spent yesterday calling different people to see what they thought about calling it all off. First one I called was the MC prez, and told him what was happening. He said " Hell no, we gonna make this a mandatory club run, from Friday afrernoon til Sunday morning, and the whole club will be there to help. Plus the black MC's prez and VP were coming anyhow." So HogBear is going to reach out to him today. When I told Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) he said " Only man I know of that can pull off that big a cooking project, and do it right is ME. I will be there Friday and handle all of that plumb through to breakfast Sunday!" Then, Clay called my son, who has been cooking stew with his grandpaw, my ex father in law, for 45 years. Since he was big enough to walk. Now, Shane and Clay will go down Friday, and Shane will cook the stew, while Clay does the other stuff. HogBear and his VP, the other Prez and VP, are gonna handle the dove shoot.... making sure hunting laws are followed,. keeping alcohol off the field, checking licenses and monitoring bag limits, and handling security at the after party. etc. I told Scott all of this today, and he said we ought to take some of the money and pay these guys, and I said that was fine with me. Later on in the conversation, he said " Let's don't do that,. Let's pay them out of our pockets", Which suited me even better, But when I called Clay and HogBear to let them know we were gonna pay them and these people, it hurt their feelings, Made them mad that I even offered! Clay said " Damn you, boss. You think you and Scott are the only big shots that can afford to do something for someone?" HogBear said: "I hate it that you have been out of the MC world so long, that you forgot to not insult brothers that way. I suggest you don't mention paying us ever again around any other patch holders" And, they were right.

I will go down there some next week and weekend, to cut and bale the millet and sorghum, and sow ( broadcast) wheat back on it. We leave the sunflowers standing ( it is legal to do that in GA), and will bush hog the corn the following week Scott is getting his nephew to get up the peanuts, Not exactly sure how they do that to leave most of the peanuts hulled and above ground, but maybe I will get to see it done.

I just hate it that I will miss what could actually be our last one. Last night I had the bright idea to ride down with Clay or my son, or get one of my 3 grandsons to drive my truck down, and I could just sit there in the shade with Scott and not do anything. But my ole lady came unglued when I mentioned it. Called Clay and my son and threatened them with a slow painful death if they did. They kind of insulted me, if you think about it, listening to her over me. I may yet decide the heck with all of them, and drive down myself with my one good eye. Saturday if I am home, would be when I could take the patch off anyhow. Last week after the first operation, I was good about not lifting anything over 5 lbs, but I did bend over a lot when I wasn't supposed to. Doctor said Friday though that it looked fine and I was 100% healed.
Mrs. Had both done in April no issues. She doesn't even need glasses anymore and was blind before.
My day is rapidly approaching as well.
I was inventorying shells yesterday.
Pulled out my 28 and 20 gauge OU's and checked my choke configurations after church.

Around here, most Chicken Houses incinerate the dead birds daily.
As is done every where. The caretakers go in every day and remove any dead chickens. But not on the last night when they are all taken out, That night you have a rat killing, then the next day you get in there with a Bobcat and clear all the l;itter, dead birds and dead rats out.

In my area, the dead chickens are usually composted in chicken litter in a covered shed. Dump the dead chickens onto chicken litter and cover with more litter. Over time, chickens are broken down and the compost/litter is spread on crops or pasture. I have no experience with incinerators, but they do require propane or natural gas to operate, so a fuel expense. When the chickens get to 5-7 pounds (close to slaughter size), mortality also increases (number of birds daily and even more so pounds of birds). That puts a big load on an incinerator. There are still some that dump the dead into covered pits. That is the least effort and cost on a daily basis, but is nasty and smells big time. Most here compost.

The chicken companies here don't put up with huge rat populations. Growers are required to have a certain number of bait stations outside the houses and keep them baited. Company furnishes the bait and checks that it is being used. Once established, rats will eat the feed out of the feeders in the house. They will live in the "attic" of the house and chew holes in the triplex ceiling fabric to go between the attic and the house, disturbing the insulation in the attic. Big financial impact if rats are allowed due to bad management. Chicken companies reward ($ to grower) good management in all aspects of chicken raising including less obvious items like keeping grass cut and rodent control.

If dead chickens are left in houses and are spread with the litter onto pastures, there is a risk of botulism that can kill cows. Good management is to pick up all dead chickens.

Mrs. Had both done in April no issues. She doesn't even need glasses anymore and was blind before.
My day is rapidly approaching as well.
I was inventorying shells yesterday.
Pulled out my 28 and 20 gauge OU's and checked my choke configurations after church.
Yeah, I had no issues with mine. No pain. 24 hour restriction on driving, 2 days of wearing a hard patch. 7 day restriction on ;lifting and bending over, and I was good as knew. Better actually, as I can already see a lot better. Doctor told me there putting in a lens that was a half millimeter think. The one they took out was FIVE millimeters thick and brown. She said dhe didn't see how I could see at all out of it. So, I am stoked about getting the other one done., I just wish that it wasn't 2 days before opening day, and one of the biggest and most enjoyable events I put on every year. The way that Clay, my son, grandsons, and my MC brothers are stepping up to the plate and doing all of this for me is emotionally overwhelming and makes me want to be there even more, I wanna help!!

Never heard of a big opening day get together for doves but where I used to live, next to a Nat'l Forest, there was an official 'hunter's camp' right down the road in the forest and it was a big celebration/scoping in/bbq thing for opening day and the weekend before of whitetail season.

Decades before, there were so many outlaws running dogs on deer day and night there just weren't many deer. My dad bought the 80 acres in 1964 and it was probably a decade before I saw my first deer on the place and only after we had completely fenced it off. Now, they're everywhere, but not like they are here in central Texas.

As for doves, everyone there just went into their own pastures and shot 'em out of the goat weed...season or not it seemed. Here, I could have done killed 100 off my back fence or roof ridgeline....

In my area, the dead chickens are usually composted in chicken litter in a covered shed. Dump the dead chickens onto chicken litter and cover with more litter. Over time, chickens are broken down and the compost/litter is spread on crops or pasture. I have no experience with incinerators, but they do require propane or natural gas to operate, so a fuel expense. When the chickens get to 5-7 pounds (close to slaughter size), mortality also increases (number of birds daily and even more so pounds of birds). That puts a big load on an incinerator. There are still some that dump the dead into covered pits. That is the least effort and cost on a daily basis, but is nasty and smells big time. Most here compost.

The chicken companies here don't put up with huge rat populations. Growers are required to have a certain number of bait stations outside the houses and keep them baited. Company furnishes the bait and checks that it is being used. Once established, rats will eat the feed out of the feeders in the house. They will live in the "attic" of the house and chew holes in the triplex ceiling fabric to go between the attic and the house, disturbing the insulation in the attic. Big financial impact if rats are allowed due to bad management. Chicken companies reward ($ to grower) good management in all aspects of chicken raising including less obvious items like keeping grass cut and rodent control.

If dead chickens are left in houses and are spread with the litter onto pastures, there is a risk of botulism that can kill cows. Good management is to pick up all dead chickens.
Had a neighbor down the road that threw all his chickens into a pit. The pit was full of liquified birds. He found his toddler, daughter, floating in the pit, mouth full of maggots. He jumped in and fished her out, and cleared the maggots to give her mouth to mouth... and the kid lived.

Had a neighbor down the road that threw all his chickens into a pit. The pit was full of liquified birds. He found his toddler, daughter, floating in the pit, mouth full of maggots. He jumped in and fished her out, and cleared the maggots to give her mouth to mouth... and the kid lived.
Glad there was a good outcome. Hopefully some lessons learned as well. Pits need to have a concrete slab or thick metal plate cover with a small opening that is covered with a door. Open pits are just irresponsible in my view. People with open pits will usually have a big encampment of buzzards in the trees and on the houses.

Never heard of a big opening day get together for doves but where I used to live, next to a Nat'l Forest, there was an official 'hunter's camp' right down the road in the forest and it was a big celebration/scoping in/bbq thing for opening day and the weekend before of whitetail season.

Decades before, there were so many outlaws running dogs on deer day and night there just weren't many deer. My dad bought the 80 acres in 1964 and it was probably a decade before I saw my first deer on the place and only after we had completely fenced it off. Now, they're everywhere, but not like they are here in central Texas.

As for doves, everyone there just went into their own pastures and shot 'em out of the goat weed...season or not it seemed. Here, I could have done killed 100 off my back fence or roof ridgeline....
We did the same for years, but land prices have skyrocketed or hunting land rented up ,so lot of guys don't have a places too go..

The rat killings I participated in were at a town garbage dump right after sunset or in the sandbagged blast walls in hooch areas of RVN. (the sand cucarachas were almost as big as the rats and far outnumbered 'em)

Years ago I fed hogs in an old barn that dated back way beyond the Civil War. It had a hewn log corncrib in the center and a wooden shingle roof. Probably 75 years before a tin roof had been nailed down on top of the wooden shingles. It had also been used to house tobacco and had old tier rails running everywhere, fastened with bailing wire.
Well, I got a huge infestation of rats nesting between the wooden shakes and the tin roof. A friend of mine and I both bought a box of .22 shot cartridges and loaded our ,22 autos.
You could take a pole and bounce it off the wooden shakes and rats ran everywhere along the tier rails. We fired until we ran out of ammunition and had quite a pile of dead rats.
I've hunted quail, doves, and duck by wingshooting: but never had as much fun as we did that day shooting runnin rats off tier rails.

I went down there first of the week and cut the millet and sorghum, which we baled yesterday. We set those round bales out on the edges for blinds. We won't cut the sunflowers, we just leave them standing. dug the peanuts yesterday, and let them just sit til about Wednesday before opening day. Then we will hit them hard with a tedder. which will nock most of the peanuts our of the shells. Then we will rake up the hay and bale it. Gonna leave the corn standing for the first week of the season. Next Thursday or Friday I will go down and broadcast wheat on the peanut, millet and sorghum strips.

Dang I hate that I will miss this one! We are covered the h*ll up with doves! Of course, if you are familiar with dove hunting, they may all leave the county at once one morning. If I had known Aug 3rd when I had my first eye done, I would have told her to do the right eye first. If I was having the left one done the 31st, I could go and shoot doves anyhow...just keep that patch on. But, I would still have the no bending over and only lighting weight under 10 lbs restrictions, and I don't think I could be there with all the work involved with the cooking and serving and not do anything to help. I tell ya...getting old sucks big time!

Last Thursday I had cataract surgery on my left eye. Had to wear a hard plastic patch for 3 days so I couldn't rub it in my sleep. Couldn't drive for 24 hours. Couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs or bend over for a week. It was a week later, this past Thursday, before I could get out in the sun with out wearing welding-lens type dark sunglasses, But, Friday I went for the 1 week check up, and the doc said everything looked perfect. She said she has schedule the OP Surgery ( hospital is beside her office) for Aug 31st. I was glad to- get it scheduled so soon, til I realized that was 2 days before opening day. I told her that I couldn't do it that week., She only does these on Thursdays. she said there were no slots available in Sept ot Oct, and she doesn't do any in Nov or Dec. She said AUG 31st was open because no one wanted to have it a day before the Labor Day weekend. And she pointed pout that I probably wanted to get it done in 2023 before my deductible and out of pocket starts over Jan 1. So, I have no choice but to do it that day.

We have already sold all 250 dove shotting spots at $250, so calling it off is no option we want to consider, if possible. That is $62.5k right there. Plus we have about 40 of the MC that come on Saturday evening for the BBQ and band, and they pay the full price even if the don't shoot so that's another $10k. That plus money that people tip and just flat out donate, we most times end up with $100k or so for the 4H/FFA kids. With Scott's health deteriorating,...about all he can do is run the gate. I have to start the chickens ( actually,. rabbit, squirrel, quail , pheasant duck and turkey) for the stew Friday afternoon, set them off the fire about 11 o'clock. Start deboning about 4 -5AM, then put the pot back on the fire and start cooking the stew. while fixing breakfast for about 300 people to have ready by 5:30AM. Put the meat on the smoker for the BBQ that night. All of this time you are constantly having to stir the stew til supper time that night.; Then you have to start the fish fry about 11 AM, to have it ready for the noon til 2 break on the dove field. The ladies of MS Mattie's church are already planning on taking care of the sides, and the kids always help with the stew, toting firewood...just any general labor needed. My MC brothers had already laid down the law to me, that there will be 2 prospects at my sided 24/7 starting Friday, and that I am to tell them to pick up things, move stuff, stir, tote wood and water, etc.
But we don't have anyone else that knows the recipes and techniques for cooking all of this, in those quantities, at one time, Except Scott, and no way he can he pull the 48 hour marathon that I pull every year cooking all of this.

But, I spent yesterday calling different people to see what they thought about calling it all off. First one I called was the MC prez, and told him what was happening. He said " Hell no, we gonna make this a mandatory club run, from Friday afrernoon til Sunday morning, and the whole club will be there to help. Plus the black MC's prez and VP were coming anyhow." So HogBear is going to reach out to him today. When I told Clay ( @Sthrncwboy ) he said " Only man I know of that can pull off that big a cooking project, and do it right is ME. I will be there Friday and handle all of that plumb through to breakfast Sunday!" Then, Clay called my son, who has been cooking stew with his grandpaw, my ex father in law, for 45 years. Since he was big enough to walk. Now, Shane and Clay will go down Friday, and Shane will cook the stew, while Clay does the other stuff. HogBear and his VP, the other Prez and VP, are gonna handle the dove shoot.... making sure hunting laws are followed,. keeping alcohol off the field, checking licenses and monitoring bag limits, and handling security at the after party. etc. I told Scott all of this today, and he said we ought to take some of the money and pay these guys, and I said that was fine with me. Later on in the conversation, he said " Let's don't do that,. Let's pay them out of our pockets", Which suited me even better, But when I called Clay and HogBear to let them know we were gonna pay them and these people, it hurt their feelings, Made them mad that I even offered! Clay said " Damn you, boss. You think you and Scott are the only big shots that can afford to do something for someone?" HogBear said: "I hate it that you have been out of the MC world so long, that you forgot to not insult brothers that way. I suggest you don't mention paying us ever again around any other patch holders" And, they were right.

I will go down there some next week and weekend, to cut and bale the millet and sorghum, and sow ( broadcast) wheat back on it. We leave the sunflowers standing ( it is legal to do that in GA), and will bush hog the corn the following week Scott is getting his nephew to get up the peanuts, Not exactly sure how they do that to leave most of the peanuts hulled and above ground, but maybe I will get to see it done.

I just hate it that I will miss what could actually be our last one. Last night I had the bright idea to ride down with Clay or my son, or get one of my 3 grandsons to drive my truck down, and I could just sit there in the shade with Scott and not do anything. But my ole lady came unglued when I mentioned it. Called Clay and my son and threatened them with a slow painful death if they did. They kind of insulted me, if you think about it, listening to her over me. I may yet decide the heck with all of them, and drive down myself with my one good eye. Saturday if I am home, would be when I could take the patch off anyhow. Last week after the first operation, I was good about not lifting anything over 5 lbs, but I did bend over a lot when I wasn't supposed to. Doctor said Friday though that it looked fine and I was 100% healed.
ROFLMAO! I'd come nearer to bucking you, than I would to cross Momma T!

Well cardiologist today said I was a moderate risk for general anesthesia, so optimologist called off my surgery tomorrow, Said she was going to contact some specialty place in Atlanta and see if they would do it. She will not attempt to do this one like she did the other one, with local numbing and an " I -don't- care" shot. So, I get to work for 3 days putting on a dove shoot and bbq! My crew that was gonna do it for me is still going, so I will have plenty of help!

I can sympathize with you on some level about the 'last one' of something you have enjoyed, been a major player in, and it ends up that either you can't participate or the event is a bust. My instance involves a nationwide government (NRCS) related monitoring program that each state participates in. There are permanent monitoring plots scattered across the states that a subsample is chosen at random to have an on-site visit each year. For years, Ohio had minimal monitoring on these plots because no-one would put forth the effort. Then I got involved. For the past two years, Ohio has done a record (for them) amount of data collection on these points. Not every point targeted ends up being a success in terms of collecting data though, and it takes a lot of effort to set these up. You know I'm moving to SC. Well, the last point I had set up/scheduled for the year which would have created a new record for the year in terms of the number of points monitored ended up being a bust when we got to the point on the ground. It needed to be grassland/pastureland and ended up being about 60-120 feet inside a tree line which put brush and trees about 30 feet tall covering the entire plot (some brush is ok, but this was basically a short forest which made it ineligible. I loved setting up for and doing the monitoring with the monitoring team and my efforts are/were greatly appreciated. I reflect back on the success I brought to the program. It's a bit hard to take though when you cap off your very successful effort with 'a failure' even though you know they happen. You have to reflect back and look at all the good you did with it, which really far outweighs the occasional expected failure which unfortunately the entire effort gets capped with. In your case though, it sounds like the last program that is being put on is going to be more successful than any of the previous ones, thanks to your efforts, despite the fact that you can't be there. Reflect on that. It doesn't remove your frustration, but it helps considerably.

Well cardiologist today said I was a moderate risk for general anesthesia, so optimologist called off my surgery tomorrow, Said she was going to contact some specialty place in Atlanta and see if they would do it. She will not attempt to do this one like she did the other one, with local numbing and an " I -don't- care" shot. So, I get to work for 3 days putting on a dove shoot and bbq! My crew that was gonna do it for me is still going, so I will have plenty of help!
OH! well, interesting turn of events. Enjoy the dove shoot and BBQ! Appears you were meant to attend it!

Hope this is not the last of the dove shoots...I was thinking that maybe a "road trip" would be on my radar next year....want to do a few things and do a little traveling while I can still drive comfortably.....
I am glad that you get to enjoy it and have lots of help to put it on...

Hope the hurricane coming through did not do any major damage to anything either...

Hope this is not the last of the dove shoots...I was thinking that maybe a "road trip" would be on my radar next year....want to do a few things and do a little traveling while I can still drive comfortably.....
I am glad that you get to enjoy it and have lots of help to put it on...

Hope the hurricane coming through did not do any major damage to anything either...
Actually, it has blown in even more doves, from areas south and west. And the cloudy, overcast weather is ideal for dove shoots. We are even having a cold snap. Temps will only reach the mid-90's!! :)