What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

j_20":3w59o7gr said:
After I saw you making your own I had to look up a recipe myself may try that out here soon.

I used this recipe the first time:
http://www.11alive.com/article/news/cow ... -547530480

2nd time I made them, instead of making up the dough from scratch, I used the following product.
081_thumb.jpg

Downside was it wasn't as buttery as the home made dough.
I took 2 loaves from the package, laid them frozen, on a big platter and covered them with saranwrap I had sprayed with non-stick cooking oil..that's to keep the dough from drying out and the saranwrap from sticking to the dough.
DO cover them completely, but loosely..make the saranwarp bigger than the frozen loaf because each one is going to rise up x2 it's size in about 5-6 hrs. If you don't use more wrap than the frozen loaf, most of the loaf will be exposed to outside air and the dough will dry out and form a hard skin.

[before you start rolling and cutting the dough:
Have your filling ready. You can use canned pie filling..I did with the blue berries and the strawberries and peach filling this 2nd time.
It worked fine.
Make the posipka up before hand.
Use REAL butter for the posipka. You can make posipka with a hand mixer or just use your hands and fingers.
(Posipka (Kolache topping) 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup flour 1/3 cup melted butter Mix together until crumbly.)

Have either a butter/milk/sugar wash ready or a butter/sugar/milk/beaten egg wash ready.
(if stick butter for the wash, warm it in microwave until just liquid, but not so hot it cooks the egg.)
Lots of people leave the egg out and just mix up sugar milk and butter.

(I added some brown sugar to both the posipka and the wash to make up for the store bought dough not being as sweet as the home made dough) ]

When the loaf(es) have doubled in size ONE TIME, punch it down and knead it lightly & just grab a chunk of it..it's going to be elastic. Flour your hands good, plop the gob of dough on a floured board and roll it out to between 3/8-1/2 thickness. Going to be hard to roll as it will be stretchy. Then, cut out 2 1/2" circles and place them about 1 1/2" apart on a sprayed baking sheet. Grab another gob and repeat, till all the dough is used. (you can gather the little leftover pieces and ball them and re-roll them out to cut. )

When the sheet is full, cover the whole thing with a clean cloth and let it sit on your kitchen counter/table for about an hour..those circles will rise some more, in height and diameter.
They will look sort of like this right before you make the indentations--I had rolled them out a lot flatter an hour before this picture.

DSC00128.jpg

Once risen up some, Make your indentations at this time, and make them big and deep but no hole all the way thru the dough. As the recipe said, should look like a kid's inflatable round wading pool.
Spoon in the filling, tho if I do it with the store bought dough again, I'll do the butter/milk/egg wash all over the dough circles right before I spoon on the topping, instead of just on the outer part of the circle--adds more buttery taste.
Spoon the filling in pretty quickly and don't be afraid to heap it up. The 2nd batch I made, to each circle, I spooned on about 1/2 again as much filling as you see in this picture:
DSC00129.jpg

You do it quick so the wash is still sticky, which holds the posipka in place. Posipka goes on right before you put 'em in the oven.

My sister, who is married to a Bohemian, (his parents "came over from the old country" ) says she always just grabbed some dough, formed it in a little ball, and plopped it down on the cookie sheet, then mashed it down with her hands flat instead of all that rolling and cutting out. My dough both times, was so elastic, it didn't work that way..I had to roll it out.
Good luck.....now you got me wanting to make some more with the other 3 frozen loaves..

greybeard":z0wdtoqf said:
That's why I decided to try to learn to make my own. Nearest place I know of to get them on a regular basis, is right at 100 miles from me too. Brenham or Caldwell.
If your talking about Kolache Capital, it moved to downtown Bryan a little over a year ago but their are a couple other places to get em.....but I'm betting those on the pan are better than you can buy.

I used to buy them at a bakery on 36 right behind Surrey Motel in Caldwell..is it not still there?
It wasn't much of a place to look at from the outside but they were pretty good if you got there early in the morning. I want to say it was named Jakes but might be wrong.

Yeah, the building is still their. Not sure of the hours, but the daughter in law (I think it is) is baking and selling on weekends. You can get another family's offerings at the truck stop on the west side of town on 21 and Wednesday thru Saturday at a downtown fru fru place.

fru fru???
Not a term I'm familiar with.

I don't remember a truckstop on the West side on 21, but may have missed it. There was the hospital, & a motel, then pretty much just farmland all the way to the Yegua and Dimebox..& a few oilfield businesses. I was last on 21 in Oct 2017 when brother and took our Texas tour.
There was some bakery along 21 in Caldwell still open then and a Kolache sign in the window, (right side if travelling West) but they just had the nasty little pigs-in-a-blanket 'kolaches' and some stale looking donuts..someone with a foreign accent behind the counter...same accent you hear at lots of motels nowadays..

I like the meat filled ones as long as their made well. A place here has a jalapeno sausage and cheese one thats really good, though I think those are actually called klobesneks or something like that.

Yep, correctly called klobesneks, but I see lots of places that only advertise Kolaches and the only thing they have are the meat things, which are definitely not Kolaches..

NEFarmwife":1uob8zbc said:
greybeard":1uob8zbc said:
Some Texans will know what these are. From scratch kolaches...or, how to blow up a glucose monitor.
https://postimg.cc/image/nffg1z0mj/26fb7d73/

https://postimg.cc/image/4zuz4mzdn/3ac14b7e/
I MISS that about Texas. I've tried making my own, with little success.

Fairly easy to make, if you have some patience.
Don't over work the dough and always use real butter.
The butter is the difference between a kolache and just a hunk of bread with fruit filling on it.

VAAngus":gk3qxju7 said:
Shrimp etouffe

I just got back from New Orleans and that bowl looks better than any I had in NO.

Thank you. Its amazing how something so simple and basic can taste so good and go so far.

Sky there is a pizza place near me that sells a pizza called the sarge. You need to give them a 24 hour heads up before you want the pizza and if you can eat the whole thing you don't even need to pay for it! So you up to try it?

ez14.":3inkgmuj said:
Sky there is a pizza place near me that sells a pizza called the sarge. You need to give them a 24 hour heads up before you want the pizza and if you can eat the whole thing you don't even need to pay for it! So you up to try it?

I need to check that place out

Latest posts