why do we feed supplement ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Please explain why supplement is needed in a cow calf operation. I'm feeding around 4 lb. corn and free choice , mature headed out fescue/OG hay. Do to poor hay making conditions. I'm also adding supplement ,top dressed with the corn . Just question why its needed . When I write the check the feed man smiles, and says they need it . Thanks rj :?

I plan to keep protein tubs out this winter to supplement my hay.

I don't feed when I have grass growing. I try to balance my cow numbers with my grass production.

Hay is far and away my highest expense.

What is the protein content of "mature headed out fescue/OG hay" made during poor haying conditions. Knowing that is the first step in understanding the need and to what extent you need to supplement in your current conditions.

For instance...this year I plan to use a supplement for the first time since 2010, the year I finally understood that feeding the supplement I was feeding was for my peace of mind and that the cows really didn't need it because my forage and hay program was sufficient. The protein content of hay I plan to use ranges from 6.9% to 10.0% with the majority falling in the 9% range. Roughly half the cows have calves.

I supplement to keep them easy to move and easy to pen I want them to follow me when Im in pasture. When the grass ain't growing and I'm feeding hay I may feed just a little more but not much and not everyday unless somethings wrong

HDRider said:

I don't feed when I have grass growing. I try to balance my cow numbers with my grass production.

Hay is actually your cheapest source when you compare price.
Good fertilized hay is 100 dollars a ton
provides over 50 days forage per cow at 35 lbs per day. Good hay is the only winter supplement a cow should need besides minerals. It's the cheapest source we have. The tub is over 900 dollars a ton.

Caustic Burno said:
HDRider said:

provides over 50 days forage per cow at 35 lbs per day. Good hay is the only winter supplement a cow should need besides minerals. It's the cheapest source we have. The tub is over 900 dollars a ton.

If you have standing grass, hay is not your cheapest, supplement. And 35 lbs per day is not a supplement it's a full ration.

callmefence said:
Caustic Burno said:
HDRider said:

If you have standing grass, hay is not your cheapest, supplement. And 35 lbs per day is not a supplement it's a full ration.

Most standing grass is garbage + the price of a tubs makes hay the cheapest.
Can't starve profit into a cow.

Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
Caustic Burno said:

Notill some oats in that garbage and you've got the cheapest winter grazing there is. Who said anything about tubs.
Whole cottenseed at a couple pounds a day on standing grass way cheaper than wasting good hay when you have grass

Caustic Burno said:
HDRider said:
My hay needs a little help

Range meal is a better supplement to help sorry hay IMO.
That's 2-1-1 Corn-CSM-Salt.

I agree range meal is a good way to supplement. I don't understand why you would supplement sorry hay but not believe in supplementing standing grass.....I just dont make sense.

Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
Caustic Burno said:

What does that mean CB? Standing grass is garbage? Do you mean in your area, at this time, because that don't make no sense to those of us that have good fall pasture. Hay cost is the biggest cost, and the later you start feeding hay the cheaper you get through the winter. Now, everyone is different, and everyones cows have different needs going into winter, dry or wet, 2nd or third trimester, or prebreeding. I can't believe, that someone can post an answer like that. I have a lot of respect for you but there is no blanket answer, to any of it, even the tubs.

snoopdog said:
Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:

What does that mean CB? Standing grass is garbage? Do you mean in your area, at this time, because that don't make no sense to those of us that have good fall pasture. Hay cost is the biggest cost, and the later you start feeding hay the cheaper you get through the winter. Now, everyone is different, and everyones cows have different needs going into winter, dry or wet, 2nd or third trimester, or prebreeding. I can't believe, that someone can post an answer like that. I have a lot of respect for you but there is no blanket answer, to any of it, even the tubs.

I didn't take that post literally. Standing grass has value. I assume he means that the protein levels decrease later in the year, thus, if you have good grass hay, it is likely to have more crude protein and total digestible nutrients than some standing pasture grasses.

In regard to protein tubs, they are an expensive way to supplement protein if your hay is say less than 9 % crude protein. For the same money, you can buy more actual pounds of protein in say a 16 % formulated feed than you get for the same money in a protein tub.

Just a thought. I think many posters fail to communicate their thoughts by trying to be too brief.

Bright Raven said:
snoopdog said:
Caustic Burno said:

I didn't take that post literally. Standing grass has value. I assume he means that the protein levels decrease later in the year, thus, if you have good grass hay, it is likely to have more crude protein and total digestible nutrients than some standing pasture grasses.

In regard to protein tubs, they are an expensive way to supplement protein if your hay is say less than 9 % crude protein. For the same money, you can buy more actual pounds of protein in say a 16 % formulated feed than you get for the same money in a protein tub.

Just a thought. I think many posters fail to communicate their thoughts by trying to be too brief.
I agree, but even frosted bermuda has a deteriating protein level, just because its brown, doesn't mean it is not good forage. When you calculate tub value, and by the way I do agree that for protein levels only , it is the most expensive way. You also have to consider the mineral cost , that you are replacing with that tub.Most tubs that I have used, have eliminated mineral supplementation.

snoopdog said:
Bright Raven said:
snoopdog said:

I agree, but even frosted bermuda has a deteriating protein level, just because its brown, doesn't mean it is not good forage. When you calculate tub value, and by the way I do agree that for protein levels only , it is the most expensive way. You also have to consider the mineral cost , that you are replacing with that tub.Most tubs that I have used, have eliminated mineral supplementation.

If I needed protein, I would use a Protein only tub. You really have to be careful as you know. Some folks think they are making up for low protein hay and they are getting mostly mineral. I think tubs are convenient but if you really need a supplement for low protein, I would get a good formulated feed. I might be wrong, maybe TexasBred can add to this.

Bright Raven said:
snoopdog said:
Bright Raven said:

In regard to protein tubs, they are an expensive way to supplement protein if your hay is say less than 9 % crude protein. For the same money, you can buy more actual pounds of protein in say a 16 % formulated feed than you get for the same money in a protein tub. Absolutely, I think you need to get your hay tested.

If I needed protein, I would use a Protein only tub. You really have to be careful as you know. Some folks think they are making up for low protein hay and they are getting mostly mineral. I think tubs are convenient but if you really need a supplement for low protein, I would get a good formulated feed. I might be wrong, maybe TexasBred can add to this.

Have the standing grass tested and see what the feed value is. Might be excellent might be garbage. The only real way to tell if you need to supplement and how much to supplement is by having the main feed source tested. I'm not to far from CB and agree that most standing grass around here has little value, especially in late winter when cattle really need to be fed properly. Like CB says you can't starve a profit out of a cow and the cheapest feed isn't always the best value.

rjbovine said:
Please explain why supplement is needed in a cow calf operation. I'm feeding around 4 lb. corn and free choice , mature headed out fescue/OG hay. Do to poor hay making conditions. I'm also adding supplement ,top dressed with the corn . Just question why its needed . When I write the check the feed man smiles, and says they need it . Thanks rj :?

Maybe this will help
https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/wbic/files/2011/11/Hay-feed-analysis-draft-4.pdf

rjbovine said:

What stage are the cows in? Gestation, lactation, ... If they are in gestation we just graze fescue and keep out minerals. Also what is the body condition score? If they are thin the fat in the corn will help but otherwise could be a waste. Are these cows a fit for your environment? Too big or too heavy has consequences just like too small does.

The thing that helps is that we calve in late winter on purpose so that the majority of winter feed needs is minimized. Sounds like they are being over supplemented from the brief description.

Latest posts