Winter feeding area design.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
I'm in Louisiana so feeding in winter is always muddy and messy and I would like to get a better system. I want to do this right the first time. My problems are 1 flat land with no sandy type hilltops to feed on. 2 pasture is open with only one large shade tree in the main section and a wooded bayou bank that provides shade and water but it's located on the end of the pasture.
I need a feeding area for winter and protection from extreme cold and heat.

I was thinking of building a pavilion type building about 50x50 on a concrete slab. I would build or buy heavy duty hay feeders that could be moved or slid out of the way to allow for cleaning the slab and the feeders could be placed along the north side of the building to provide a wind barrier in the winter and removed during the summer so it could be used as a shaded area.

What are your thoughts about this. Thanks

I'm in Louisiana so feeding in winter is always muddy and messy and I would like to get a better system. I want to do this right the first time. My problems are 1 flat land with no sandy type hilltops to feed on. 2 pasture is open with only one large shade tree in the main section and a wooded bayou bank that provides shade and water but it's located on the end of the pasture.
I need a feeding area for winter and protection from extreme cold and heat.

I was thinking of building a pavilion type building about 50x50 on a concrete slab. I would build or buy heavy duty hay feeders that could be moved or slid out of the way to allow for cleaning the slab and the feeders could be placed along the north side of the building to provide a wind barrier in the winter and removed during the summer so it could be used as a shaded area.

What are your thoughts about this. Thanks
Talk with your local NRCS about a feed building. In most cases here they will cost share them.

Why would you need concrete? If you are going to put hay under the roof, the droppings will provide bedding and its not much more difficult to clean out off a dirt floor than concrete.

I'd recommend reviewing some of the articles/videos from here: https://www.edenshalefarm.com/fence-line-feeders.html

That is a joint partnership with Univ of KY and a cattle farm. They've tested some interesting things.

Water and manure management should be considered when making your plans. Your concept is not a bad idea but the above research may help you think through your plan. Just my $0.02.

i think concrete would be a more permanent solution in ease of cleaning and erosion from cattle using it almost all year long.

dirt = mud
Gravel will require geotextile fabric. The fabric is placed as a layer between the soil and gravel. Without it the gravel is pushed down into the soil and disappears over time.
i think concrete would be a more permanent solution in ease of cleaning and erosion from cattle using it almost all year long.
There will be erosion on the perimeter of the concrete slab, wherever cattle walk on/off. I think you will need fabric and gravel with or without concrete. One edge of our cow yard is a high traffic area. A few years ago I put down fabric, 3" rock base, and a 3/4" rock or sand top layer. It's still there and much nicer than the 3 foot climb it took to get out of the mud and onto pavement. Talk to a concrete expert about the slab. Maybe 4" thick with a 6" footing?

Concrete wash aka debris. Cheapest thing going, literally cheaper than dirt. Put it down and let it get a few rains on it, it will pack tight enough to handle the foot traffic. I've used it around the farm and for the water district I operate.

Yea the fabric plus aggregate for at least 30' around the slab is a must and a 6" slab with chain wall to support heavy equipment. The farm next to mine uses this type setup and they raise 3-4K head a year and they really like the way it works. Their buildings are 50x300 and a trough runs the length of the building except for the last 60'. The last 60' is where they park big hay bunks and the cows eat it off of the trailer. When it's eaten up they pull it back to the hay barn, put 10 rolls on it and back to the cows. When haying is over for the year they clean the slab and pile it to rott.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the hay miser feeders.

Attachments

• 82D2CCFC-5566-4432-8F33-1F71B9CC4490.jpeg
    82D2CCFC-5566-4432-8F33-1F71B9CC4490.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I have a Bextra round feeder that I have used for several years. I use it for calves from weaning to market just shy of a year.
I have 70- 72'' bales so it is best to be sure to drop them in on end. Like any metal hay feeder they will rust as this one is regardless
of being on concrete. I like it although I do need to make sure the calves can reach the hay from time to time depending on the bale.
I have used the Bextra baskets in other commercial hay feeders and do believe they contribute to saving hay. (They need to be chained
high on the feeder to work and not get your bales hung up)
My focus now it to convert the higher quality round bale feeders to pin pull connecters in lieu of bolting the sections together.
It involves using eye bolts and rebar. By doing this I can open the feeder and back in with a rear mounted bale if I wish. Also if
I need a larger feeder I simply add a section by pulling a rod and adding a spare section and presto a 2 bale feeder! (On which I
can stack a 3rd bale).
My new endeavor as time permits is to install a feeder high channel post to every upright to strengthen
the feeder overall. Bextra is ok but I like my engineering better. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

We put down geotech fabric then covered it wit recycled asphalt or recycled concrete whichever we could get in our high use feed areas it works great. The picture shows an area coming up to a hexagon pen the hexagon opens into five different pastures and a feed pen EF9CE902-5091-4D9B-949A-3952CF0AD6C8.jpeg

1672382775243.jpeg

This picture shows the feed pen you can see the heifers gathered up waiting to come from their pasture. this pen is used to feed two groups daily one group of approx 50 head the other of 25 head to give you an idea of traffic.

Last edited:
The Ky Ag Experiment station is called "Eden Shale Farms". they have solutions for feeding hay in many many ways. Here are some examples.

curious if there is any problems with the moving parts racking? kind of like if the bales aren't eaten equally would cattle push the side where the hay is farther back from the other stack causing the entire feeding panel to rack.

We put down geotech fabric then covered it wit recycled asphalt or recycled concrete whichever we could get in our high use feed areas it works great. The picture shows an area coming up to a hexagon pen the hexagon opens into five different pastures and a feed pen View attachment 24361

View attachment 24362

This picture shows the feed pen you can see the heifers gathered up waiting to come from their pasture. this pen is used to feed two groups daily one group of approx 50 head the other of 25 head to give you an idea of traffic.
How thick is the aggregate on the fabric and do you have to clean the area of manure occasionally?

Latest posts