Worried- My Bull is walking slow, looks tired and sad

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Last few days I've noticed my bull is walking slower to the feeders and is eating slower than the cows...he's not his aggressive fast-eater self. He even moved from one spot to check for different food in another feeder (he never does that). He might just be run down from breeding all night or chasing off dogs/coyotes....I'm just not sure. Here's the list of the NEW THINGS that I have done recently (experimenting)...where I might have hurt his rumen floral. What I'm really concern with. FYI, Bull's balance is fine, he looks like he's dragging himself to the feeder, like "Do I have to come and eat?"...like it's a job for him.

1. Placed out two lick tubs....very minimal usage, appears nobody is using them, only minor usage-licks-scruffs.
2. Poured out too much molasses onto whole oats, oats won't hurt him....(realized my mistake after) I've calculated he might have gotten up to a quart of molasses. Ouch, that seems bad.
3. Alpha cubes (dry)...the cattle didn't seem to like them much, half avoided them and half ate a few slowly was a 15lbs test. Anyway, about a week later I just threw the remaining 35 lbs of alpha in for them to eat, maybe the bull ate it all (wasn't watching).

What are your expert thoughts?...I don't see any bloat, he's not foaming at the mouth, he is still eating--@65% of a cow's pace, not his normal 170%....He looks like he went through a marathon, super tired walk, head held a bit lower (not much) and even his chewing has slowed down. But he is eating. What did I do to my majestic fast running hungry bull? How do I fix him? Cut back on feed? I've been HAVING to grain them more this winter due to drought... hay being unavailable. Cows are doing ok...just my bull looks slow, weak and tired. My cattle are still grazing some green legumes and rye grass, not much there, but it's still growing. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

TR> Is the bull the only animal in the herd with the perceived problem? If so, it should rule out water quality as a source.
I am out of my element here but is there any possibility of poisonous snake encounter and how does a bovine react when that occurs?
Check him close to see if there is any indication of a hole or small wound. (Not from a snake but from a man made source)
Is there anything in the manure that would give any indication of a problem? Try not to make abrupt changes in the diet, especially
in the amount of available protein which you are probably aware. Is there any indication of a lack of libido? Get a vet in if there is no
improvement right away before the problem is out of control . I just heard today that rain falling through bare (leafless) trees is sign
of a bumper crop. We'll see.... Bless your 23 LVR

Last few days I've noticed my bull is walking slower to the feeders and is eating slower than the cows...he's not his aggressive fast-eater self. He even moved from one spot to check for different food in another feeder (he never does that). He might just be run down from breeding all night or chasing off dogs/coyotes....I'm just not sure. Here's the list of the NEW THINGS that I have done recently (experimenting)...where I might have hurt his rumen floral. What I'm really concern with. FYI, Bull's balance is fine, he looks like he's dragging himself to the feeder, like "Do I have to come and eat?"...like it's a job for him.

1. Placed out two lick tubs....very minimal usage, appears nobody is using them, only minor usage-licks-scruffs.
2. Poured out too much molasses onto whole oats, oats won't hurt him....(realized my mistake after) I've calculated he might have gotten up to a quart of molasses. Ouch, that seems bad.
3. Alpha cubes (dry)...the cattle didn't seem to like them much, half avoided them and half ate a few slowly was a 15lbs test. Anyway, about a week later I just threw the remaining 35 lbs of alpha in for them to eat, maybe the bull ate it all (wasn't watching).

What are your expert thoughts?...I don't see any bloat, he's not foaming at the mouth, he is still eating--@65% of a cow's pace, not his normal 170%....He looks like he went through a marathon, super tired walk, head held a bit lower (not much) and even his chewing has slowed down. But he is eating. What did I do to my majestic fast running hungry bull? How do I fix him? Cut back on feed? I've been HAVING to grain them more this winter due to drought... hay being unavailable. Cows are doing ok...just my bull looks slow, weak and tired. My cattle are still grazing some green legumes and rye grass, not much there, but it's still growing. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
It's late in the season for them but what you describe is what we see when they eat acorns. Any chance of that?

Take his temperature! And then do it again later. Sounds like one of my bulls a few years ago. No snotty nose, no coughing or droopy ears and his temp was normal. But something just wasn't right and I kept him in the barn overnight, made an appointment to take him in the next morning. By that time, his temp was 105 and he had raging pneumonia. Vet pumped him full of Draxxin & Banamine and I babied him along in the barn for 6 more days. Fortunately, he made a full recovery, and he was my favorite bull.

While you have him in the chute, check his mouth to rule out any sores, abscesses, anything out of the ordinary. And as Ken mentioned, check his gums. Should be a nice, healthy pink. White or jaundice is an indicator of anaplasmosis. And just for fun, check out his feet to make sure he doesn't need a trim.

If his manure looks good and he isn't bloated, I wouldn't worry about the additional tubs, molasses & cubes.

It's late in the season for them but what you describe is what we see when they eat acorns.

My experience with acorns and cows back in East Texas..
Is his ass end all messy?
If he's been eating acorns, you'd know it and if so, DON'T stand behind him!!
Most of the time, they usually leave acorns alone after 1st hard freeze (like we had right before Christmas) , but those that develop a taste for them, you can't hardly stop em from going back and they won't show much interest in hay or supplement.

Hard freeze/frost and now a current warm-up.... nitrates from something having regrowth?

One of our bulls kept looking worse and worse - probably lost 200+ lb after having a foot issue. We thought he was just behind since the foot problem happened in breeding season. The other bull just kept breeding and gaining weight with no problems. One day I was refilling the mineral feeder and the bull happened to be right there and as soon as he saw it, he went to getting all kinds of mineral. Turns out, when we changed the mineral feeder a few months earlier, he didnt get the memo and has made a miraculous recovery in the last 2 weeks - completely different animal and looks to have put half his weight back on in no time. Little things can make a difference and we had not considered this one until he looked like a kid in a candy store at the mineral feeder.

You mentioned earlier about how you were going to save money and stick it to the hayman this year by feeding a bunch of crap instead of hay. ...
Have you seen the video @greybeard posted of the girl with the nail in her head.??
No haven't seen that (sounds neat) can you re-share? Well, I didn't even have to stick it to the hay man...everyone's out of hay. There's only one farmer nearby that's making those big white marshmallow hay bales and stacking them 3 high in long rows and leaving them for everyone to see. I imagine he's hoarding them for jealous needy ranchers like me. I'm getting the impression he thinks there will be a second year of drought and he'll sell those nice marshmallow rolls for $500. in late 2023 early 2024. It does get me curious...there's only 48 days of winter left here!!!!.....hurry up sell your hay NOW!!!

Last edited:
One of our bulls kept looking worse and worse - probably lost 200+ lb after having a foot issue. We thought he was just behind since the foot problem happened in breeding season. The other bull just kept breeding and gaining weight with no problems. One day I was refilling the mineral feeder and the bull happened to be right there and as soon as he saw it, he went to getting all kinds of mineral. Turns out, when we changed the mineral feeder a few months earlier, he didnt get the memo and has made a miraculous recovery in the last 2 weeks - completely different animal and looks to have put half his weight back on in no time. Little things can make a difference and we had not considered this one until he looked like a kid in a candy store at the mineral feeder.
I've got all kinds of minerals and supplements are the ranch and the bull usually is the one that partakes of minerals after his meal. Can't wait to get out there and do a through check on him.

No haven't seen that (sounds neat) can you re-share? Well, I didn't even have to stick it to the hay man...everyone's out of hay. There's only one farmer nearby that's making those big white marshmallow hay bales and stacking them 3 high in long rows and leaving them for everyone to see. I imagine he's hoarding them for jealous needy ranchers like me. I'm getting the impression he thinks there will be a second year of drought and he'll sell those nice marshmallow rolls for $500. in late 2023 early 2024. It does get me curious...there's only 48 days of winter left here!!!!.....hurry up sell your hay NOW!!!
What about other roughage? ...cornstalks, bean stubble, oat straw, wheat straw, cotton trash

I'm glad you really care about your bull.

Maybe put him in a pen or barn fencelined with some cows for company and give him a bale of expensive hay a flake at a time? There must be some grass horse hay somewhere. I'd give him a tube of bovine probiotics too to help his rumen. Also find out if he has a fever.

Latest posts