Yeast cultures and the benefits

Help Support CattleToday:

What I am doing is no different than a lot of industries or professions where a little edge can mean a lot. Take trucking, you don't need all those wind flap things and wheel coverings and such, but I suppose it gives them an edge over those who don't use them.

Take ranchers that use horses or SUV's. You don't really NEED them, they are a convenience, you could still round up cattle on foot, I've done it, but an ATV or horse makes things a LOT better.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Ebenezer said:
Dairy publications have a bunch of yeast products and info. For example, top end minerals have yeast in them to provide the selenium.

I personally think it's a lot better when it's directly injected.

I thought yeast was in your grain?

It is, but you should know by now that I'm an "if a little is good, then a LOT is even better" type. LOL! Ever heard the comment "belt and suspenders"?

************* said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Dsteim said:
Fertility has as much to do with the producer as it does the cow. The only way I see to have a truly fertile cow herd is by breeding it. It's a whole lot harder to cull something for breeding back late when you have a dollar amount attached to it as opposed to something you raised.
I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...

I don't see it that way.

I'm doing AI mostly, over 90% at the moment, and I don't want to waste time or resources. If I can have every advantage possible to get those gals pregnant, especially in this heat, I will use it, particularly if I'm using semen that I might not be able to replace or semen that is relatively expensive.

You don't have to give Multimin 90 to get them pregnant, but my vet and my experience have taught me that a shot 20-30 days prior to gives you a better chance.

You don't have to handle the semen precisely, lots of people are sloppy and still get them settled, but a clean and disciplined protocol gives you an edge.

I don't have to use Fertagyl, but my vet told me, that will give you a slight advantage, so I use it, for that slight edge.

I don't have to give them fresh water, they could drink solely from a dirty creek, I heard freshwater gives them an edge.

I don't have to give the grain or mineral that I do, but I have seen improvement over a number of years, so I do it.

They don't need a lot of things and can still get pregnant, especially when using a good bull.

I'm nearly certain that if I suddenly stopped doing everything, put a bull out there, and walked away, I would come back to a lot of calves next year, but that's not the plan. I have a neighbor that literally does the minimum possible with his cattle, yet he still has some calves each year, they are a little worse for the wear, but they are standing up.

What I am doing is no different than a lot of industries or professions where a little edge can mean a lot. Take trucking, you don't need all those wind flap things and wheel coverings and such, but I suppose it gives them an edge over those who don't use them.

Take ranchers that use horses or SUV's. You don't really NEED them, they are a convenience, you could still round up cattle on foot, I've done it, but an ATV or horse makes things a LOT better.

None of the stuff that I mentioned above was done for MANY years out here, more than 40, and cows got settled with a bull no problems at all, but what I'm trying to do in 2019 is taking a bit more effort and attention to detail.
but I'm betting most of your buyer don't ...me Id want to raise em to fit their management up to the point, they would have too work..no matter what they did..you hear a lot of em say I want to buy from one that pushes em as hard as I do

ALACOWMAN said:
Dsteim said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Angus are one of the earliest maturing of the cattle breeds.

Right but most people breed their heifers at 12-14 months. What's the advantage of having a heifer cycle at 7 months versus 9 or 10 months?
I looked at my post couple times..never seen where I said that..I breed all mine at 15 months...

I was asking what you meant by saying the deeper you get into angus the more fertile they get early.

ALACOWMAN said:
************* said:
ALACOWMAN said:
I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...

I don't see it that way.

I'm doing AI mostly, over 90% at the moment, and I don't want to waste time or resources. If I can have every advantage possible to get those gals pregnant, especially in this heat, I will use it, particularly if I'm using semen that I might not be able to replace or semen that is relatively expensive.

You don't have to give Multimin 90 to get them pregnant, but my vet and my experience have taught me that a shot 20-30 days prior to gives you a better chance.

You don't have to handle the semen precisely, lots of people are sloppy and still get them settled, but a clean and disciplined protocol gives you an edge.

I don't have to use Fertagyl, but my vet told me, that will give you a slight advantage, so I use it, for that slight edge.

I don't have to give them fresh water, they could drink solely from a dirty creek, I heard freshwater gives them an edge.

I don't have to give the grain or mineral that I do, but I have seen improvement over a number of years, so I do it.

They don't need a lot of things and can still get pregnant, especially when using a good bull.

I'm nearly certain that if I suddenly stopped doing everything, put a bull out there, and walked away, I would come back to a lot of calves next year, but that's not the plan. I have a neighbor that literally does the minimum possible with his cattle, yet he still has some calves each year, they are a little worse for the wear, but they are standing up.

None of the stuff that I mentioned above was done for MANY years out here, more than 40, and cows got settled with a bull no problems at all, but what I'm trying to do in 2019 is taking a bit more effort and attention to detail.
but I'm betting most of your buyer don't ...me Id want to raise em to fit their management up to the point, they would have too work..no matter what they did..you hear a lot of em say I want to buy from one that pushes em as hard as I do

I can put you in touch with some buyers that don't do anything we do, and they have had plenty of success with our bulls. It would be safe to say they run them pretty hard. Just saying....

I can put you in touch with some buyers that don't do anything we do, and they have had plenty of success with our bulls. It would be safe to say they run them pretty hard. Just saying....
Wow this just blows me away. It just does not register with you at all. You are the vendors delight. :clap: :clap:

It's odd that every time a feed company publishes an "informative" article on a new technology/idea they never mention all the instances where it didn't do a dang thing.

TexasBred said:
Wow this just blows me away. It just does not register with you at all. You are the vendors delight. :clap: :clap:

You should see my cattle, that's what would really blow you away.

Some years ago, a prominent animal scientist opined in one of the trade magazines, that "If you're getting a 95+% calf crop...you're probably spending too much money on feed."
I think there's more than a nugget of truth in that.

In a commercial operation, that MAY be a valid statement. But, in a PB operation that has quality cattle and gets high end premium for their offspring, they may not hold true.
Granted, I personally don't feed grain to my cows. Yes, I feed my replacement heifers from weaning to breeding - not much, 5# WSC per hd/day - but I believe growing out your heifers for breeding is essential for avoiding calving problems.
But, when it comes to health program, mineral nutrition, grass/hay nutrition - I don't hold back. With 100% AI, cows must be in good physical and health condition. But, I don't get 100% (probably not 95%) bred during my season.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
In a commercial operation, that MAY be a valid statement. But, in a PB operation that has quality cattle and gets high end premium for their offspring, they may not hold true.
Granted, I personally don't feed grain to my cows. Yes, I feed my replacement heifers from weaning to breeding - not much, 5# WSC per hd/day - but I believe growing out your heifers for breeding is essential for avoiding calving problems.
But, when it comes to health program, mineral nutrition, grass/hay nutrition - I don't hold back. With 100% AI, cows must be in good physical and health condition. But, I don't get 100% (probably not 95%) bred during my season.

First: There is certainly no sense in over supplementing commercial or breeding stock cattle. Good animal husbandry would call for a frugal approach.

But I too find that breeding stock producers are held to certain expectations. Whether the buyer is shopping for replacement heifers or young bulls, they expect healthy, good physical specimens. That doesn't mean you need to "pour the feed to them". In fact, my buyers want the bulls to be heavy muscled, big boned and thrifty. Not wallowing in fat. Something that I think helps my young bulls - they develop in a steep large pasture where they can wander around and get exercise. They have excellent forage, good water, shade, and mineral. I have 7 in a 30 acre pasture right now. They are very fit looking.

Bright Raven said:

First: There is certainly no sense in over supplementing commercial or breeding stock cattle. Good animal husbandry would call for a frugal approach.

But I too find that breeding stock producers are held to certain expectations. Whether the buyer is shopping for replacement heifers or young bulls, they expect healthy, good physical specimens. That doesn't mean you need to "pour the feed to them". In fact, my buyers want the bulls to be heavy muscled, big boned and thrifty. Not wallowing in fat. Something that I think helps my young bulls - they develop in a steep large pasture where they can wander around and get exercise. They have excellent forage, good water, shade, and mineral. I have 7 in a 30 acre pasture right now. They are very fit looking.

By your standards I too am very "fit looking". Now if you would just sell my wife and doctor on that notion I'd be all set.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

By your standards I too am very "fit looking". Now if you would just sell my wife and doctor on that notion I'd be all set.

Just stop eating those marbled Angus rib steaks.

Lucky_P said:
Some years ago, a prominent animal scientist opined in one of the trade magazines, that "If you're getting a 95+% calf crop...you're probably spending too much money on feed."

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Feed is cheap when you consider what I'm producing.

25-30 SAV America 8018 sons pay for a LOT of feed.

************* said:
Lucky_P said:

Supplementing energy to cows on green grass to maintain fertility sounds more like a breeding problem rather than a feeding problem.

sim.-ang.king said:
************* said:
Lucky_P said:

Supplementing energy to cows on green grass to maintain fertility sounds more like a breeding problem rather than a feeding problem.

I'm not "maintaining", I'm "enhancing". Like I said before, there are lots of things you don't "need".

I sincerely think most cattle can survive with nothing, No minerals, no vaccines, no fly control, dirty water, poor pasture, moldy hay, and the list goes on, yes they can survive. I've seen it around me. But why?

I'm sure hospitals see babies born every day into situations that are less than desirable, putting it lightly, does that make it ok? Does that assure the baby has the right start? Yes they were born, but how will they develop?

Trust me, it would be far easier to never attend to my herd and take it easy.

Branded

There is good advice being directed your way. I see some that is intended to antagonize you, but most of it has merit.

I share some of the philosophy others are expressing. In modern beef herds like yours, mine, Fire Sweeps, Simmi Valley, etc. that place a heavy burden on a cow. We expect them to calve every 365 days, breed back in 60 days, raise big healthy calves, etc. It takes inputs to do that. Especially when using AI and ET. It is essential to provide good forage, high quality mineral, adequate water, supplements during stress or when poor quality hay is being fed but when that threshold is reached to go over and above that is like a person who over eats and does not have a healthy lifestyle. IMO your posts give the impression that your feeding practices are careless and not measured. I sometimes read your posts and visualize you backing up to feed bunkers with a dump truck of feed. The bunkers are full and running over. Cows are wading knee deep in some exotic feed just to get to the edge of the bunker. Based on my visit, I don't think that is what you are doing. But comments like "if a little yeast is good, a lot of yeast is better" are not making you look like a good steward. Infact, that statement is not true. Nutrition is a science.

Let me leave you with this thought. Don't create unhealthy cows by giving them too much of what they don't need.

Latest posts