Yeast cultures and the benefits

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Branded

There is good advice being directed your way. I see some that is intended to antagonize you, but most of it has merit.

I share some of the philosophy others are expressing. In modern beef herds like yours, mine, Fire Sweeps, Simmi Valley, etc. that place a heavy burden on a cow. We expect them to calve every 365 days, breed back in 60 days, raise big healthy calves, etc. It takes inputs to do that. Especially when using AI and ET. It is essential to provide good forage, high quality mineral, adequate water, supplements during stress or when poor quality hay is being fed but when that threshold is reached to go over and above that is like a person who over eats and does not have a healthy lifestyle. IMO your posts give the impression that your feeding practices are careless and not measured. I sometimes read your posts and visualize you backing up to feed bunkers with a dump truck of feed. The bunkers are full and running over. Cows are wading knee deep in some exotic feed just to get to the edge of the bunker. Based on my visit, I don't think that is what you are doing. But comments like "if a little yeast is good, a lot of yeast is better" are not making you look like a good steward. Infact, that statement is not true. Nutrition is a science.

Let me leave you with this thought. Don't create unhealthy cows by giving them too much of what they don't need.

You are correct Ron, they truly don't understand what I'm doing. I actually prefer that they consider me a novice.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a tractor-trailer load of grain arriving shortly and I must go meet them. LMAO!

I actually stay up a night dreaming about this setup for my mommas

https://youtu.be/YCAah5j8icc

************* said:
sim.-ang.king said:
************* said:
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Feed is cheap when you consider what I'm producing.

25-30 SAV America 8018 sons pay for a LOT of feed.
Supplementing energy to cows on green grass to maintain fertility sounds more like a breeding problem rather than a feeding problem.

I'm not "maintaining", I'm "enhancing". Like I said before, there are lots of things you don't "need".

I sincerely think most cattle can survive with nothing, No minerals, no vaccines, no fly control, dirty water, poor pasture, moldy hay, and the list goes on, yes they can survive. I've seen it around me. But why?

I'm sure hospitals see babies born every day into situations that are less than desirable, putting it lightly, does that make it ok? Does that assure the baby has the right start? Yes they were born, but how will they develop?

Trust me, it would be far easier to never attend to my herd and take it easy.

What does a baby being born in a hospital have to do with fertility?

Why always go to the extreme? There are cattle that calve within 365 days every time, and do it on low imputs. Those cattle we're bred to do that, either intenationly, or unintonationly. You might not think that is the "best" way of doing it, but many could argue neither is what you are doing.

Still have to question why your cows "need" such high inputs. Is your pasture not enough? I would think the way grass is growing this year, they would be just fine on grass and mineral.
You might want to go talk your friend Ron about grazing breeding stock.

So, is there a difference in fed in fertility and bred in fertility? I think so. Which do you want and which do you sell? I know which one is cheapest to keep on the farm and which one real commercial cattlemen want. What is the purpose of the #2 option?

Ebenezer said:
So, is there a difference in fed in fertility and bred in fertility? I think so. Which do you want and which do you sell? I know which one is cheapest to keep on the farm and which one real commercial cattlemen want. What is the purpose of the #2 option?

The word "cheap" is never used on my operation, it's forbidden. Cheap denotes lack of quality.

The fact that you are focused on the "cheapest" route is quite telling.

************* said:
Ebenezer said:

The word "cheap" is never used on my operation, it's forbidden. Cheap denotes lack of quality.

My, what a large hyperbole you have, Grandma.

************* said:
TexasBred said:
I can put you in touch with some buyers that don't do anything we do, and they have had plenty of success with our bulls. It would be safe to say they run them pretty hard. Just saying....
Wow this just blows me away. It just does not register with you at all. You are the vendors delight. :clap: :clap:

You should see my cattle, that's what would really blow you away.

I saw the pics and that was enough. You can have them.

************* said:
Ebenezer said:

Cheap is relative much like "stupid".

TexasBred said:
************* said:
TexasBred said:
Wow this just blows me away. It just does not register with you at all. You are the vendors delight. :clap: :clap:

I hope we all can see photos of your herd sometime, detailed ones at that, I'm always interested in seeing how the "real pros" of the industry do things, and what genetics are being used.

I've heard you quite the cattleman.

TexasBred said:
************* said:
Ebenezer said:

Cheap is relative much like "stupid".

Don't forget "antiquated"

************* said:
TexasBred said:
************* said:

I hope we all can see photos of your herd sometime, detailed ones at that, I'm always interested in seeing how the "real pros" of the industry do things, and what genetics are being used.

Bet'cha he can tell ya how many Mcal/cwt, and how much CP your 1800# cows should be getting.

************* said:
TexasBred said:
************* said:

No not as all. As I had on my sig. line once "I'm just a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread". But it's still a fact that even when you show them the bread you can't make them eat it.

TexasBred said:
************* said:
TexasBred said:

No not as all. As I had on my sig. line once "I'm just a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread". But it's still a fact that even when you show them the bread you can't make them eat it.

I'm just a country boy looking to breed a decent animal, Angus that is....

************* said:
Lucky_P said:
Some years ago, a prominent animal scientist opined in one of the trade magazines, that "If you're getting a 95+% calf crop...you're probably spending too much money on feed."
I think there's more than a nugget of truth in that.

That might be the dumbest and most arrogant comment I've seen of CT to this point. I always wonder James what it is that you're trying to accomplish as a breeder. It sounds like your Dad has left you quite a legacy, some really nice cows. But where are you going from here, other than shoving a bunch of yeast in to them. In five years what do you want Branded to be known for? I sure hope it isn't cattle that needs to have the feed poured to them to make them perform. That isn't going to be a profitable endeavor unless of course your genetics can outrun poor management. And I wonder what is your market? Is it folks who actually care if they get an America son? Do they even care about the pre-fix much less the actual name? Boasting about pouring on feed and supplements is really foolish bragging, for some of us, cattle is just a hobby, my real career can support many foolish decisions I may want to make with my cattle. But for many on here, where their paycheck comes from the cattle they sell your bravado is petty. Many on here have great insight and experience that we have the fortune to glean without cost. And likewise we are able to get information from you we can use in our own operations. But I do ask with all sincerity, where do you want to be in five years?

CreekAngus said:
************* said:
Lucky_P said:
Some years ago, a prominent animal scientist opined in one of the trade magazines, that "If you're getting a 95+% calf crop...you're probably spending too much money on feed."
I think there's more than a nugget of truth in that.

That might be the dumbest and most arrogant comment I've seen of CT to this point. I always wonder James what it is that you're trying to accomplish as a breeder. It sounds like your Dad has left you quite a legacy, some really nice cows. But where are you going from here, other than shoving a bunch of yeast in to them. In five years what do you want Branded to be known for? I sure hope it isn't cattle that needs to have the feed poured to them to make them perform. That isn't going to be a profitable endeavor unless of course your genetics can outrun poor management. And I wonder what is your market? Is it folks who actually care if they get an America son? Do they even care about the pre-fix much less the actual name? Boasting about pouring on feed and supplements is really foolish bragging, for some of us, cattle is just a hobby, my real career can support many foolish decisions I may want to make with my cattle. But for many on here, where their paycheck comes from the cattle they sell your bravado is petty. Many on here have great insight and experience that we have the fortune to glean without cost. And likewise we are able to get information from you we can use in our own operations. But I do ask with all sincerity, where do you want to be in five years?

In a place where my future self thanks me.

Latest posts