?? Your favorite life-saver kitchen ingredient or tool ??

Help Support CattleToday:

For an ingredient it would have to be MEAT. Years ago Anita Bryant did a commercial where she said "A day without orange juice is a day without sunshine". For me it;s "A meal/snack without meat is like not eating"

ANAZAZI":3g62lqwf said:
"A meal without cheese is like a beauty with only one eye"

Only someone from Sweden could come up with that. ;-) :lol2: BTW - What is your favorite cheese?

ANAZAZI":dptgpqac said:
For tool, the balanced sharp knife, I use it to cut things, flip things in the frying pan, to stir pots and sometimes to open the beer bottles (Usually I use one bottle to open the other so an opener feels unnecessary).

:shiver: Sorry, it's the purist in me.

slick4591":6o34kmi8 said:
ANAZAZI":6o34kmi8 said:
For tool, the balanced sharp knife, I use it to cut things, flip things in the frying pan, to stir pots and sometimes to open the beer bottles (Usually I use one bottle to open the other so an opener feels unnecessary).

:shiver: Sorry, it's the purist in me.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

hillsdown":d4pg86d5 said:
They say if you hold a piece of bread in your mouth your eyes won't water.

Kathie in Thorp":d4pg86d5 said:
Slick, my mom taught the same thing about bread/onions. But you have to hold the bread to the roof of your mouth (she said).

Heard it for years, so one evening in the catering kitchen I thought I'd try. I held it every way I could think of and all my wife could do is laugh at my tears. Have you noticed that everyone 'hears' that it works, but no one says they tried it and it 'definitely' works? :lol:

The eye irritation is caused by sulphenic acids that instantly develop when the onion is cut, the tears being the means to dilute the acid. Bread will not help. Water will, as it solves the acid gas, also contact lenses help as well as swimming glasses (for fanatics only).

dun":1bjlvrx7 said:
For an ingredient it would have to be MEAT. Years ago Anita Bryant did a commercial where she said "A day without orange juice is a day without sunshine". For me it;s "A meal/snack without meat is like not eating"
Duhhhhh!

There are some tools that I think are just "standard" in the kitchen -- decent knives, for instance. I like my small mortar/pestle for breaking down spices, and I really like my plunger-type chopper for fine-chopping veggies (including those pesky onions).

Diamond electric knife sharpner...is the best for stainless steel knives...especially if you don't know how to sharpen a knife..

I don't know if it qualifies as a "tool" or not but we are long time gas range people, wife didn't care for electric ranges, but just bought a new induction electric range. It heats by a magnetic field. This thing is amazing! It will boil a pot of water in less than one minute. Top does not get hot. Seems like it would use less energy since it is so fast and no waste heat to the air. Only problem is you need steel pots that will attract a magnet. Ended up giving away a lot of our non-magnetic pots but worth it. Makes it almost as fast on the stove as a microwave.

Jim

Pressurecooker & garlic press and I do love my onion chopper, my wife pics these thingsup at parties little pricey but good chitenny . Put your cuttin board under the range hood exaust fan sucks out all the fumes while your cuttin.

A couple of nights ago the handiest tools in the kitchen was the fan on the stove, the kitchen window to open and a chair to stand on the disconnect the fire alarm.... Yea not one of my better nights cooking :help:

Alan

Alan":3sithu37 said:
A couple of nights ago the handiest tools in the kitchen was the fan on the stove, the kitchen window to open and a chair to stand on the disconnect the fire alarm.... Yea not one of my better nights cooking :help:

Alan
Thats why I put my fire alarm within reach of my 5'1" wife. Cuz everytime she cooks there must be something on the burner. At least that what she tells me. :roll: :cowboy:

Alan and Hook: That reminds me, we have a fire extinguisher mounted in the kitchen. Have not had to use it -- yet. But everyone probably should have one as a major "life-saver" tool.

Latest posts