crockpot/slow cooker

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Any one have decent recipes for cooking stuff other than soups and chicken in a crockpot?

Thanks

Dun, get a whole chicken and put your favorite rub on it , make 4 balls out of alum foil about 1.5" in diameter put in the bottom of the crock pot lay your chicken on top of them put lid on it set it for 6hrs to 8 hrs on low cook times vary on crockpots put most will be done in 6hrs . DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUIDS

Beef roast with quartered potatoes baby carrots some cabbage and cup of water on low for 6-8 hours.

Pork roast, can of coke, bottle of bbq sauce

I don't get very creative in my slow cooker.

Also have done spaghetti sauce all day on it and tastes great.

A few pork chops, cream of mushroom soup. Cook it all day, then either make egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or soft boiled potatoes to pour it over. Good stuff with some Tony's sprinkled over it and garlic bread.

When cooking something like beef ribs or colid muscle cuts does the meat have to be submerged? How much liquid is needed if not submerged?

Thanks

Depends on the cut. Fatty meat needs very little. I put about 1/4" in with a corned brisket. With a whole chicken we add no more than a cup. More often than not, it'll need less water than you put in.

Do most my cooks on ceramic cooker (Big Green Egg). Dislike needing to sear red meats before going in
crock pot. I know lots people do these meats in slow cooker, just not appeal to me. Really like the post
another subject on this forum that use cast iron to sear then just added veggies and stuck in oven. That
more nearly approximated what I grew up with. My daughter does slow cooker routinely, just dumps in
before going to work on low, dinner ready when family get home. Seems a lot the recipes out there for
slow cookers, negate the ease and convenience of the unit.

Trying ham and cheesy potato casserole today in slow cooker. 6 to 8 potatoes peeled and sliced, 1 medium onion chopped, cup shredded cheddar, pound and quarter to pound and half of ham cubed (I like a lot of meat in my casserole), mix together in slow cooker then pour over top to cover mixture can of cream of chicken soup mixed with a half can of milk, cook on high 4 to 6 hours, low 8 to 10. Should be good eating!

Put 1# of HB meat in slow cooker till done(no pink)
Add in pkg of taco season and stir well
Add can black beans( or your choice of bean)
Add can of Mexican corn
Add your choice of rotel or salsa ( I didn't I just topped it with salsa after it was on my plate )
Let it cook it well heated and flavors blended ( about an hour on high)

Plate of tortilla chips topped with a above mixture and topped with cheese, lettuce and tomato, salsa
Recipe calls for the mixture to be put in a caserole dish with Tortilla chips and topped with cheese and heated till cheese melts
But it turns the chips to mush so I do similar to nachos but with more meat than chips

Chili is always good
HB meat and chili seasoning with canned diced tomatos is easy

Dun, if you eliminate soups, chili and chicken about 95% of your options are gone. I have put a roast and other beef in one with taters onions and seasoning, put it on low and came back in 8 or so hours and had a very tender, delicious meal. I love crock pots simply because I can dump some meat, veggies and seasoning in it and dinner is ready when my day is done. If fact it's basically winter here and time for some potatoe soup.

Alan":1jqurnxn said:
Dun, if you eliminate soups, chili and chicken about 95% of your options are gone. I have put a roast and other beef in one with taters onions and seasoning, put it on low and came back in 8 or so hours and had a very tender, delicious meal. I love crock pots simply because I can dump some meat, veggies and seasoning in it and dinner is ready when my day is done. If fact it's basically winter here and time for some potatoe soup.

my wife put some boston but fingers in the crock pot yesterday about 1pm and they were done at 6pm. she puts a cup of bbq on them and they are mighty fine.

Take a pork shoulder roast and dump a bottle of ranch dressing on it. Let it cook down, throw in some taters and carrots for a couple more hours. Cheap, delicious meal.

Latest posts