crockpot/slow cooker

Help Support CattleToday:

Pork butt works really good. Season it with some seasoned salt and put it in the Crockpot with some apple juice and an onion quartered let it cook 8-10 hours. When its done take it out pull it apart and put it back in with a new liner then dump a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce in there mix it up and your good to go. The apple juice helps tenderize it and gives it a sweeter flavor.

I have done a beef roast with sweet Baby rays barbecue sauce and some red pepper flakes and vinegar and brown sugar and it was delicious....
don't have the exact recipe in front of me...
I was thinking about doing another one this weekend.

Here is a recipe that I use for both chicken and beef
either one is delicious.....have not tried it with pork....

from the Sweet Baby Rays web site.

Ingredients

4 -6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed ( i just substitute and equivalent sized beef roast)
1 18 oz. bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Mix all ingredients (except the chicken).
Put chicken in the crock pot and pour sauce mixture over it (TIP: save some sauce to glaze the chicken before you serve it!).
Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Cross-7":d4f7f3jq said:
http://topslowcookers.com/2016/10/13/the-easiest-crockpot-chicken-sausage-and-shrimp-gumbo/

I have done this one before and it is pretty good....

my wife filed the recipe away and so it is lost to me....

just printed it out again and plan on fixing it Sunday
:cowboy:

Did corned beef and cabbage the other night, not bad but not great. Did ribs and they were really super.

I like a slow cooker cooked roast, but I don't like the thin gravy. How can I thicken the gravy? I want to try a tater soup in mine one day too.

jd720":2a5nhbnd said:
Pork butt works really good. Season it with some seasoned salt and put it in the Crockpot with some apple juice and an onion quartered let it cook 8-10 hours. When its done take it out pull it apart and put it back in with a new liner then dump a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce in there mix it up and your good to go. The apple juice helps tenderize it and gives it a sweeter flavor.
I bought a little well marbled Boston butt today. Going to inject it w apple sauce and smoke and give the crock pot a whirl. Cold front coming and pulled pork sounds good!

My wife made a apple cobbler in the crock pot about a month ago. And I couldn't believe how good it was. A scoop of ice cream, actually three, and I was set. It was absolutely delicious. If you're interested I could ask her the particulars.

JMJ Farms":2q275lne said:
My wife made a apple cobbler in the crock pot about a month ago. And I couldn't believe how good it was. A scoop of ice cream, actually three, and I was set. It was absolutely delicious. If you're interested I could ask her the particulars.

Go ahead jmj that sounds good!

Kingfisher":12ueljli said:
jd720":12ueljli said:
I bought a little well marbled Boston butt today. Going to inject it w apple sauce and smoke and give the crock pot a whirl. Cold front coming and pulled pork sounds good!

Never done much injecting does that add a lot of flavor king?

NECowboy":1kdlc154 said:
JMJ Farms":1kdlc154 said:

Go ahead jmj that sounds good!

(1) box yellow cake mix. (1) can of pie filling (can use any kind if you don't like apple) and (2) sticks of butter.

Put pie filling on the bottom. Then cover with the cake mix. And then lay the two sticks of butter on top. Cook on low for around 4 hours. Easy enough.

Cross-7":1x5b4d0w said:
http://topslowcookers.com/2016/10/13/the-easiest-crockpot-chicken-sausage-and-shrimp-gumbo/

Sorry for the late reply, but I would like to try gumbo for the first time. The recipe calls for 1 (one) medium shrimp. I know it's wrong but I'm new to shrimp in meal any suggestions to the correct amount to use in this recipe?

Thanks

Your just using enough for you to eat. I like shrimp in each bite, so I cook a seafood with with alot of shrimp. You don't want big shrimp either. Shrimp in the 31-35 count (31-35 shrimp per pound) is a good size.

I highly recommend not cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo and add shrimp. That's a waste of seafood and ruins a chicken and sausage gumbo.

The longer you cook a gumbo, the better it will be and less of a roux taste.

M-5":1u847azt said:
Make a roux in a pan with flour use liquid off of roast then pour it back in crock pot.

I'll give that a try next week. Will smother a roast this weekend.

MudHog":6chnl3jn said:
Your just using enough for you to eat. I like shrimp in each bite, so I cook a seafood with with alot of shrimp. You don't want big shrimp either. Shrimp in the 31-35 count (31-35 shrimp per pound) is a good size.

I highly recommend not cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo and add shrimp. That's a waste of seafood and ruins a chicken and sausage gumbo.

The longer you cook a gumbo, the better it will be and less of a roux taste.

I'm not a Louisiana boy so guess I claim to be no expert on gumbo why does shrimp ruin it mud?

Alan id probably use a pound. I like bigger shrimp (16-20 in a pound). Be sure to peel em I can't stand having to pick off shells in a restaurant.

Latest posts