what cattle do not like?

Help Support CattleToday:

My cows don't like being worked, they especially hate squeeze chutes.
The bull calves don't like being steered.
I noticed if one cow drops a range cube out of its mouth another cow will not eat it , after it dries they et.

I'm talking rewards not training..you can get them too do what you want through habits .. ...I can't just go out and expect them to do something I want, without them having some previous experiance ..they'll get into your habits ..if a Bull or cow is acting a fool rewarding them for good behavior or taking the away really has no effect on them....
I disagree.

All is takes for my cows to head for parts unknown is to pull into the corral area with a trailer.
I have to catch and sort before any attempt to load. They are very aware if there is another
person in the pickup as well. Otherwise, for the most part they are like herding cats.
I rotational graze and have moved them 12 times since May 5th. Moving is easy. I just call the
lead cow and she brings them along. l'chaim

Kids they don't like kids..nothing will make em scatter faster something about a two foot ball of energy will send them packing..
My son waters the cows. He goes out and makes all sorts of noise, just being a kid. Waves sticks around, etc. I never tell him not to, and they are pretty much used to anything. It works pretty well for me.

How can I determine cows from coming around our cabin and eating everything in site. We can't put up fencing so I am trying to find things they don't like or that scare them...any ideas? We have tried yelling, chasing, shooting a gun AWAY from them to scare them with the noise. We have put out pallets around our solar to keep them from eating the wires but they still manage to get to the wires. They have eaten a tent, wires, ropes and plants! They are free range cows and the owner will not help us at all. The cow has all the rights!

Put up an electric fence about waist high. It can be secured to posts made of rebar, so it's not very expensive. Buying the charger will probably be the biggest expense.

Cattle don't normally eat those things. They must be pretty hungry.

There ya go @Happynana

They don't like being hungry or thirsty, either of those will guarantee them looking for greener pastures or a water source. Start there, and yes, I know this thread is 3 years old.

Hippe Rancher,

if a cow behaves like they're in charge of you, or entitled to something you have, you show them who's actually in charge and put them properly in their place.
I assume you don't run too many cows? There is no cow, free range anyway, you can put in place if she wants something unless it involves a locked pen, a 2x4 (not my choice) or a bullet in the head when things get too dangerous.
How do YOU show a cow YOU are in charge and put them in their place?

Actually, HappyNana just posted asking for help yesterday. She was hoping for suggestions on how to discourage cows from coming in to the yard of her cabin and chewing on wires etc. Young cattle will chew on everything, so saying they must be pretty hungry, is not necessarily true. She says she can't put up fencing, so I assume she must be in some sort of a community with CC&R's that don't allow fencing. She must also be in an open range "fence out" area. That is a difficult situation. About all I could suggest is continuing to try to secure anything she can behind whatever is allowed in that community. It is a shame more people don't research these things before they buy or build in a location. I really wish I could make a suggestion to help. A single strand of electric fencing would probably teach them to stay away pretty quick, but if it isn't allowed, then she may be in a no win situation.

I assume you don't run too many cows? There is no cow, free range anyway, you can put in place if she wants something unless it involves a locked pen, a 2x4 (not my choice) or a bullet in the head when things get too dangerous.
How do YOU show a cow YOU are in charge and put them in their place?
I usually just pick em up and give em a good throwing down into a pile of hay.

All it takes is ONE time. They respect you forever after that...

Latest posts