what cattle do not like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Murray! I'm impressed. I am picturing you picking up Big Sexy, and giving him a toss.
I am thinking that my Cow #1820 must have used your advice on me. She had been fine to work with until this year. I tried to hold on to her calf while my husband went back to the ATV for iodine and an eartag. After a couple minutes, she picked me up and tossed me down the hill. I definitely have more respect for her now. She is a 4 year old cow that calved at 13 months and has raised a calf every 11-12 months since, but she will be gone this fall. It is a shame, but I no longer trust her. She now knows her power. She always use to look at me with respect, but now when we lock eyes, she will sometimes give me that tiny head nod that I believe is the cow equivalent of the middle finger.

Murray! I'm impressed. I am picturing you picking up Big Sexy, and giving him a toss.
I am thinking that my Cow #1820 must have used your advice on me. She had been fine to work with until this year. I tried to hold on to her calf while my husband went back to the ATV for iodine and an eartag. After a couple minutes, she picked me up and tossed me down the hill. I definitely have more respect for her now. She is a 4 year old cow that calved at 13 months and has raised a calf every 11-12 months since, but she will be gone this fall. It is a shame, but I no longer trust her. She now knows her power. She always use to look at me with respect, but now when we lock eyes, she will sometimes give me that tiny head nod that I believe is the cow equivalent of the middle finger.
It's been a few years...
He's about 1850 now

Once they get up about 1500 or so it's a struggle!

All is takes for my cows to head for parts unknown is to pull into the corral area with a trailer.
I have to catch and sort before any attempt to load. They are very aware if there is another
person in the pickup as well. Otherwise, for the most part they are like herding cats.
I rotational graze and have moved them 12 times since May 5th. Moving is easy. I just call the
lead cow and she brings them along. l'chaim
Cattle ARE smart. I was so lucky- I sorted and loaded alone on Sunday to take into the sale barn. Basically, I had trained my cattle to be penned up and to go out the loading-open head gate...we did regular training. Then we did some sorting training. Everyone was free (happy) and got use to the game.
I knew my cattle are wary of another person...so I did the corralling and sorting alone...when i had the ones i needed...only then i brought the trailer down and park it at the headgate loading center. Slide open the 24" trailer door, opened the headgate area. Went inside the corral with the cattle...and they basically self-loaded themselves right onto the trailer....i did nothing but stand there 6 feet from them and watch the last one go in...and then I rushed to close the door. I think i just got lucky...beginners luck. THAT was too easy.

Cattle ARE smart. I was so lucky- I sorted and loaded alone on Sunday to take into the sale barn. Basically, I had trained my cattle to be penned up and to go out the loading-open head gate...we did regular training. Then we did some sorting training. Everyone was free (happy) and got use to the game.
I knew my cattle are wary of another person...so I did the corralling and sorting alone...when i had the ones i needed...only then i brought the trailer down and park it at the headgate loading center. Slide open the 24" trailer door, opened the headgate area. Went inside the corral with the cattle...and they basically self-loaded themselves right onto the trailer....i did nothing but stand there 6 feet from them and watch the last one go in...and then I rushed to close the door. I think i just got lucky...beginners luck. THAT was too easy.
Considering you are working alone you did it the right way. Cattle do not like a break in routine as it requires some mental adjustment.
In my case for the most part the cattle need to go through the corral for either water or grass or both. There are side pens that I can either
open or close with gates to sort the other way. Sometimes when I am done sorting there will be cattle in 4 different pens, I just put them
together and put them on the trailer. There is a push gate so once behind that they have no choice but to load themselves.
Patience can be a virtue in that situation. No dog, no whips, no banging on whatever and no hotshots and be careful of what you get in
the pen with especially when you are alone!

LVR, agreed patience and routine are key...I learned a lot from watching "Farmer Tyler Ranch" on You Tube, that guy is awesome at sorting and loading. Have you watched Tyler? You know I only have two pens..where I sort them between the two and then to the outside...i wish i had 4 pens, like you, in-case one gets out..that i need back in. Multiple pens would be great. I do have a close gate behind them on the load center...but i didn't need to use it.
My thought is...if i fail to sort properly and contain the ones i need....then i'm done for the day, i won't need to (waste time) hooking up and bringing out the livestock trailer.

It isn't always easier to work cattle alone, but it definitely keeps them more quiet. And yes, there are days when you work cattle by yourself and you scratch your head because it just is going too good........ but just wait....... there will be another day for payback. LOL
PS.: It's a great feeling when working cattle alone and things go smoothly.

Patience can be a virtue in that situation. No dog, no whips, no banging on whatever and no hotshots and be careful of what you get in
the pen with especially when you are alone!
Completely agree. Patience is quite often better then any of the above. And yes, the downside of working alone.......... nobody there in emergency situations.
So stay safe and vigilant brothers and sisters, no cow is worth your health or life.

Completely agree. Patience is quite often better then any of the above. And yes, the downside of working alone.......... nobody there in emergency situations.
So stay safe and vigilant brothers and sisters, no cow is worth your health or life.

Yup. There's nothing wrong with working cattle by yourself, but have someone else there, even if he or she never gets out of the truck.

Ah...say when!

n
LVR, agreed patience and routine are key...I learned a lot from watching "Farmer Tyler Ranch" on You Tube, that guy is awesome at sorting and loading. Have you watched Tyler? You know I only have two pens..where I sort them between the two and then to the outside...i wish i had 4 pens, like you, in-case one gets out..that i need back in. Multiple pens would be great. I do have a close gate behind them on the load center...but i didn't need to use it.
My thought is...if i fail to sort properly and contain the ones i need....then i'm done for the day, i won't need to (waste time) hooking up and bringing out the livestock trailer.

TR I will get back to you in a day or 3 on this. Just had a message disappear from the screen and have no clue of where or why.
We don't have Hi Speed so this machine can be an independent thinker at times. I will attempt 'Farmer Tyler Ranch' but it will
in all probability go into a low altitude tailspin. I should have more on the corral when I get back. I shall attempt the unredacted
edition,,,,,,LVR

Probably a better way but we'll work with what we have. Looked up ''F T R" on U Tube. Interesting but it will probably be a No Go until we
have Hi Speed available. Back to the corral. An observation I have made is, ''if a person is building a corral for the single purpose of restraining
cattle and the only time the cattle are in the corral is for the purpose of restraint, for moving, working (all facets thereof) you will discover that
it will at times be more difficult to get them in the corral and you will have heads up stock to deal with.

Due to the lay of the land where the corral needs to be I am limited as to what I can do. There is year around live water in gorge on one
side and sloping ground on the other. All dirt (clay) no rock . 2/10 of rain and it is slick as s- - t. and stay away when the frost goes out.
So within those parameters the corral was built in somewhat of an elliptical or oval ( a bit more flat on one side).
When I get through here you will understand the construction of the Temple in the Wilderness!. All pens are contained within the oval.
There are two openings on each end, with one set side by side and at right angles on the other end to facilitate rotational grazing.
The load out entry is wide enough to back a trailer in to where the trailer tires will come against a post on either side.
As you face the trailer from the rear the swing gate opens to your right. Slide door is on left. There is a push gate on your left which will
interact with the trailer gate when it is closing. Once they are on the trailer side of the push gate they have no place to go but in the trailer.
I will use the slide door if they cooperate otherwise the push gate will prevent the swing gate on the trailer from coming open. Gates are 2 to
2&1/2 " pipe.

There is another inside barrier that runs about 10' mosa minos lateral to the out side of the corral with gates at varying distance that I use
to contain whatever comes in. The pens on the ends have gates to the center which will get you to the loadout. Or you can just bypass the
trailer and route anything on through. Just make sure the lane to the road gate is closed! Oh, I forgot there are 2 barriers when you
by pass the pen route. It is quite Spartan, if you will, I made it from 16' x 5' combination panels set on 3' centers. All from scratch by hand,
holes and all by himself. I know you are more of an accomplished engineer so the building will be of little consequence other than
parts and labor. I guess the point of all the verbiage is to make sure you construct or add to your corral in such a way to insure the cattle
are using it on a regular basis and not as a point of trauma.
At this point I apologize for any mental anguish this dissertation may have caused.

My experience is they DON'T like the smell of their own blood..

Had a bull lose the outer covering of one of his horns while rubbing his head on a white oak tree he had to pass to get to a water trough and of course he bled all over the tree trunk and ground. For many weeks afterwards, every time he passed that tree, he would snort and paw the ground where the blood was.

@LVR , sounds like you have an impressive set-up. I can only wish to have the internals of your corral...would make life easier. I weld but don't have any heavy pipe for my corral (yet), in less than 2 months @ 59-1/2 my world opens up monetary-wise so projects will become more numerous.
For my corral I used 6" to 8" diameter P.T. logs on 4 to 5 feet centers with heavy-stapled 1-awg bull fencing attached inside w/ P.T. wood top liners (pretty). I am in need of stronger gates...mine are wimpy off-the-shelf $100. gates. I have one 8' high gate I built that's basically comprised of two 5' high whimpy gates (that were previously crushed and then re-straightened by me) and now coupled together to make a higher massive stronger gate....let's see if that keeps the bull inside.
Exactly..no trauma to my corral design.
I have extra feeders inside my barn which is part of my corral (to help w/ separation) and water-tanks outside the barn that's inside my corral too. I often feed them in the barn so they aren't scared of the barn-corral combo. Works out well...cause I can sneak around the barn and close the two back gates and then close the front barn gate and I have everyone inside the corral. When the spirit moves me I'm going to get heavier duty gates...it's the weak area of my corral. At minimum i think if i attach pressure-treated plywood or fiber-cement-board to the gates where THEY can't see outside...the steers and bulls might not jump if they can't see the other side...buys me time to sort to let them out before they do damage. Been my experience the cows are cool and relaxed...the bulls and steer, sense things...even if it's not their time. I'm first generation retired cattleman, learning really fast...trial by fire. Saying goes: "I don't know what I'm doing...but I'm having a ball." Kind of found out there's other experienced-seasoned cattle producers that don't know what they're doing either...so i fit in fine.

How can I determine cows from coming around our cabin and eating everything in site. We can't put up fencing so I am trying to find things they don't like or that scare them...any ideas? We have tried yelling, chasing, shooting a gun AWAY from them to scare them with the noise. We have put out pallets around our solar to keep them from eating the wires but they still manage to get to the wires. They have eaten a tent, wires, ropes and plants! They are free range cows and the owner will not help us at all. The cow has all the rights!
Why can't you put a fence around your yard?

"I don't know what I'm doing...but I'm having a ball." Kind of found out there's other experienced-seasoned cattle producers that don't know what they're doing either...so i fit in fine.
Love that Quote. Makes me feel hopeful. LOL
P.S.: Round corrals work better then square pens. IF you have the luxury to plan them out like that.

Latest posts