M & M's in cattle feed...............

Help Support CattleToday:

Wife's uncle had a place up in New Waverly where he kept some cows and a bunch of pastured hogs. He had a deal with local grocer and would haul 2 pickups loads of bread and sweets a day- only catch was he couldn't miss or the guy wouldn't do it.
He ended up losing a few cows-dead in the woods- vet cut them open and their gut was stuffed full of bread bags, plastic and such. My FIL at the time tried telling him he needed to take the wraps off, but he insisted that it wasn't necessary since they ate it with wraps on. Found out the hard way.

Kingfisher":284o6jg3 said:
skyhightree1":284o6jg3 said:
I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

IMG_20160416_162457577_HDR_zpsw2bhjomc.jpg
I suppose your keeping some poor kid from getting fat...so they might appreciate bacon.
That seems like quite a project opening all those.

Not to hard to figure out plastic wouldn't be good for a cow's digestive system but some people are pretty stubborn.

I used to get fajitas and tacos from a place. The bulk of them were fresh as I could buy at the store. Its amazing what they will through away.

Jogeephus":ia971o4a said:
I bet it would have been fine. As long as it doesn't get wet I think those things will keep forever.
I think they only go bad in taste so if it taste good its still good

I've actually been watching and wondering about this around here the last few yrs. It wasn't that long ago, you could go to the store after easter, or halloween or whatever day they had large amounts of candy out for - and there would be a lot of left overs that they would mark down, day after day it would get cheaper - some off the path places would have it for sale for a week or 2 afterwards as they sold it off.

But the last few years - nothing! I knew they couldnt get their inventory guessed that accurately to all sell out - so I was assuming the workers were buying it up or something.. But perhaps they are selling it to another industry now for a set price, and don't bother with the constant mark downs and it taking up shelf space...

Perhaps it gets shipped off to another country for their holidayS - The mystery continues.. But I sure miss the cheap candy!

Years ago we had a neighbor that a day old bread store. He raised Chester White pigs and Charolais cattle. The only "grain" they ever got was the bred and sweets from the store that were to old to sell even as day old. About once a week he would bring us a pickup load of the stuff. We opened the packages and dumped it in plastic barrels and topped them off with old milk, yogurt, general left overs from the goat dairy business. Fed it to the hogs and sold the hogs. Worked out well since the only feed we had to buy was for the goats.

TCRanch":2yn2gats said:
skyhightree1":2yn2gats said:
I get dumptruck loads or pick up loads of bread. I am often out they call and ask me to come pick up a load cows and pigs love it.

IMG_20160416_162457577_HDR_zpsw2bhjomc.jpg

You got me beat, Sky :)

:lol: The truck was full but I had already cut open half a millions packs and mixed with milk and brewers grain for the pigs

Kingfisher":2yn2gats said:
I suppose your keeping some poor kid from getting fat...so they might appreciate bacon.

Bingo :)

jltrent":2yn2gats said:
[That is a lot of feed and then they talk about hunger in this country.

I get one maybe 2 per week that sure could feed a bunch of people heck some of the stuff is a week out before goes out of date I like unloading and if im hungry find a pie and eat it its a win win situation for me :D

js1234":2yn2gats said:
[
That seems like quite a project opening all those.

Opening is no problem with a razor problem is dealing with all the wrappers and such

Supa Dexta":2l5mgx9s said:
I've actually been watching and wondering about this around here the last few yrs. It wasn't that long ago, you could go to the store after easter, or halloween or whatever day they had large amounts of candy out for - and there would be a lot of left overs that they would mark down, day after day it would get cheaper - some off the path places would have it for sale for a week or 2 afterwards as they sold it off.

But the last few years - nothing! I knew they couldnt get their inventory guessed that accurately to all sell out - so I was assuming the workers were buying it up or something.. But perhaps they are selling it to another industry now for a set price, and don't bother with the constant mark downs and it taking up shelf space...

Perhaps it gets shipped off to another country for their holidayS - The mystery continues.. But I sure miss the cheap candy!
I think that was some of the problem. People would wait till after the holiday to get the candy for less instead of paying full price. The retailer learned it is better to sell what they can at full price which will be more if they cut out the mark downs latter which people wait on instead of paying full price. So just get rid of it even if it is for almost nothing and put in cattle feed.

skyhightree1":3ragt8xa said:
When they call me and its not a dumptruck load i will load this up

IMG_20160618_093808541_zpssjmyodhg.jpg
People must see you going down the road and think "man that guy loves bread!!!!!"

skyhightree1":ayengwiz said:
ez14":ayengwiz said:
skyhightree1":ayengwiz said:
When they call me and its not a dumptruck load i will load this up

IMG_20160618_093808541_zpssjmyodhg.jpg
People must see you going down the road and think "man that guy loves bread!!!!!"

Lol people speed up to get close and take pics
:lol:

yeah you got to be a sight to see going down the road like that :lol:

Now i want to see someone loaded down like that with M&MS

Any one know where you can buy the bulk uncrushed or in ground candy to mix in the feed

H Junior":tqx6a9i5 said:
Any one know where you can buy the bulk uncrushed or in ground candy to mix in the feed
Plant where it is made would probably be the only place with a large volume of it unless some commodity broker has some.

jltrent":zgr2hlms said:
Supa Dexta":zgr2hlms said:

I think that was some of the problem. People would wait till after the holiday to get the candy for less instead of paying full price. The retailer learned it is better to sell what they can at full price which will be more if they cut out the mark downs latter which people wait on instead of paying full price. So just get rid of it even if it is for almost nothing and put in cattle feed.
Some are now making a living buying up excess holiday inventories and clearance items and reselling them on amazon.

Latest posts