Yeast cultures and the benefits

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
I read this article in Progressive Cattle recently and was glad to see that this is being discussed on a larger scale.

http://bit.ly/2GbtB5H

Now I know that many of you bust my chops for feeding grain every night to the ENTIRE herd, yes the entire herd, even though we have excellent pasture. There is a reason. The grain I have mixed up has YEAST cultures added to it, along with Biotin, and other vitamins. I also use Multimin 90 for any Selenium deficiencies that might occur.

I've been reading a LOT about proper Ph in a cow or heifer and how it affects fertility. So far my gals have been highly fertile, and I would like to keep it that way. I think that the yeast has made a big difference in more ways than one. I also think that getting those cultures into a cow on strictly grass probably won't happen. I could be wrong.

Anything for an added edge in fertility I will do.

That was an excellent article - but - it is all related to feeding CALVES not cows.
I am not denying that your cattle are fertile, and I sure agree that any added benefit for breeding is great, but at what cost?
The normal/average cattle producer cannot justify the cost of grain for cows. My herd is a bit above average, and I sure cannot justify it. I do feed sodium bicarb along side our free choice mineral a little before & during our breeding season.
Edit: I do feed a product that has live yeast in it to my show cattle - which greatly helps keep their system stable through stress and helps convert feed better. There is no denying it is a healthy, beneficial product.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
That was an excellent article - but - it is all related to feeding CALVES not cows.
I am not denying that your cattle are fertile, and I sure agree that any added benefit for breeding is great, but at what cost?
The normal/average cattle producer cannot justify the cost of grain for cows. My herd is a bit above average, and I sure cannot justify it. I do feed sodium bicarb along side our free choice mineral a little before & during our breeding season.
Edit: I do feed a product that has live yeast in it to my show cattle - which greatly helps keep their system stable through stress and helps convert feed better. There is no denying it is a healthy, beneficial product.

The reason I posted this is due to conversations that I have been having with my Vet about fertility issues she is witnessing in the area. I think not getting one's cattle settled quickly is more costly than feeding them, but I do understand where you are coming from.

I tried using yeast, can't remember the brand but may have been levucell. I collected a sample of manure from before and every day for three weeks after feeding on a couple of cows. They said the particle size of grass would reduce as their digestion increased the ability to get more out of their feed. Didn't make any difference whatsoever. I think for weaning time on calves it would be worth using or even if a sudden change in feed. But i did a few more trials and could never see any gain at all.

************* said:
I read this article in Progressive Cattle recently and was glad to see that this is being discussed on a larger scale.

Now I know that many of you bust my chops for feeding grain every night to the ENTIRE herd, yes the entire herd, even though we have excellent pasture. There is a reason. The grain I have mixed up has YEAST cultures added to it, along with Biotin, and other vitamins. I also use Multimin 90 for any Selenium deficiencies that might occur.

I've been reading a LOT about proper Ph in a cow or heifer and how it affects fertility. So far my gals have been highly fertile, and I would like to keep it that way. I think that the yeast has made a big difference in more ways than one. I also think that getting those cultures into a cow on strictly grass probably won't happen. I could be wrong.

Vigortone mineral contains yeast. I'll stop right there.

************* said:

The reason I posted this is due to conversations that I have been having with my Vet about fertility issues she is witnessing in the area. I think not getting one's cattle settled quickly is more costly than feeding them, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Fertility has as much to do with the producer as it does the cow. The only way I see to have a truly fertile cow herd is by breeding it. It's a whole lot harder to cull something for breeding back late when you have a dollar amount attached to it as opposed to something you raised.

TexasBred said:
************* said:

Vigortone mineral contains yeast. I'll stop right there.

The mineral I use contains yeast as well.

Dairy publications have a bunch of yeast products and info. For example, top end minerals have yeast in them to provide the selenium.

Dsteim said:
************* said:

Fertility has as much to do with the producer as it does the cow. The only way I see to have a truly fertile cow herd is by breeding it. It's a whole lot harder to cull something for breeding back late when you have a dollar amount attached to it as opposed to something you raised.
I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...

ALACOWMAN said:
Dsteim said:
************* said:

I don't want to feed fertility in one..how do you know what you actually have. You might be masking some problem... But The deeper I get in Angus the more fertile they are, early...

How much you have to feed them has more to do with how big of a mature cow you want. What do you mean by angus being more fertile early?

Dsteim said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Dsteim said:

How much you have to feed them has more to do with how big of a mature cow you want. What do you mean by angus being more fertile early?

Angus are one of the earliest maturing of the cattle breeds.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dsteim said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Right but most people breed their heifers at 12-14 months. What's the advantage of having a heifer cycle at 7 months versus 9 or 10 months?

Thus - you don't need to feed grain to feed the yeast.
Thanks TB - hubby would have known that, and at one time I might have, but forgotten. (really?? forgot?? not me!)

Jeanne, I really need to get you the label, there is a lot more in the mix than just grain alone.

Dsteim said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dsteim said:

Right but most people breed their heifers at 12-14 months. What's the advantage of having a heifer cycle at 7 months versus 9 or 10 months?

I had two cycle recently at 8 months and I wouldn't dare breed them. We hold them off till about 14 months. I suppose if you wanted to breed really early and use a high CED, low BW bull with a lot of accuracy, then it could be done, but it's not what I want to do.

ALACOWMAN said:
Dsteim said:
************* said:

I don't see it that way.

I'm doing AI mostly, over 90% at the moment, and I don't want to waste time or resources. If I can have every advantage possible to get those gals pregnant, especially in this heat, I will use it, particularly if I'm using semen that I might not be able to replace or semen that is relatively expensive.

You don't have to give Multimin 90 to get them pregnant, but my vet and my experience have taught me that a shot 20-30 days prior to gives you a better chance.

You don't have to handle the semen precisely, lots of people are sloppy and still get them settled, but a clean and disciplined protocol gives you an edge.

I don't have to use Fertagyl, but my vet told me, that will give you a slight advantage, so I use it, for that slight edge.

I don't have to give them fresh water, they could drink solely from a dirty creek, I heard freshwater gives them an edge.

I don't have to give the grain or mineral that I do, but I have seen improvement over a number of years, so I do it.

They don't need a lot of things and can still get pregnant, especially when using a good bull.

I'm nearly certain that if I suddenly stopped doing everything, put a bull out there, and walked away, I would come back to a lot of calves next year, but that's not the plan. I have a neighbor that literally does the minimum possible with his cattle, yet he still has some calves each year, they are a little worse for the wear, but they are standing up.

What I am doing is no different than a lot of industries or professions where a little edge can mean a lot. Take trucking, you don't need all those wind flap things and wheel coverings and such, but I suppose it gives them an edge over those who don't use them.

Take ranchers that use horses or SUV's. You don't really NEED them, they are a convenience, you could still round up cattle on foot, I've done it, but an ATV or horse makes things a LOT better.

None of the stuff that I mentioned above was done for MANY years out here, more than 40, and cows got settled with a bull no problems at all, but what I'm trying to do in 2019 is taking a bit more effort and attention to detail.

Ebenezer said:
Dairy publications have a bunch of yeast products and info. For example, top end minerals have yeast in them to provide the selenium.

I personally think it's a lot better when it's directly injected.

Dsteim said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dsteim said:

I'm not saying it's good just stating a fact. Brahman are later to mature. Again, just a fact.

Dsteim said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dsteim said:

I looked at my post couple times..never seen where I said that..I breed all mine at 15 months...

************* said:
Ebenezer said:

I personally think it's a lot better when it's directly injected.

I thought yeast was in your grain?

Latest posts