Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm leaning the same direction to cut significantly on our place but want to wait till early January for tax reasons. I planted winter grazing late and with lack of rain it just hasn't come up. Been watching noble foundation and other regenerative grazing seminar and want to redo my small operation to grazing more and haying less. There are so many options out there
There ARE so many options!
Pretty amazing time to be in the cow biz.
That's why they sold so good too. Many people needed to spend some cash before end of year. This was the last sale of the year and a cow special too.

I may buy back a few lil bulls to cut before the end of the year and wean em. That tax bill is a killer.

Then again, I may just cruise for a bit

Did you keep 7 and that family? Is Bessie dry now? How many do you have? Did you send Bessie's heifer home finally?

For the prices you got, I think I would sell some of mine but like @kenny thomas said, we are running 500-1000 less per head on breds or pairs around here... Hoping to buy a few in Jan at the monthly cow sale if people are feeling the pinch with hay... especially if we get colder and get some snow to where they are eating alot and people north of here can't find hay.

You might be the smart one with your prices the way they are...

I did! Didn't figure she would bring much. But after seeing prices....
She is a pretty lil thing!
Kept the 2 other crossbred w/ ear as well. March calvers. Brindle should be along soon!
View attachment 38239

Thanks gal! Been a fun ride. I OWN all seven of my cows that are left. And have a chunk in the bank now. It's a relief honestly. Debt is something I don't mind to a point, but I'd like to keep my money! Rather than work for the bank.
Pastures could use a rest anyway....

Only one I had left was Bessie.
And u KNOW the answer to that question!
🙂
You down to just 7 head? WOW! Did you sell the gold colored cow and the black one with the white sides?

Did you keep 7 and that family? Is Bessie dry now? How many do you have? Did you send Bessie's heifer home finally?

For the prices you got, I think I would sell some of mine but like @kenny thomas said, we are running 500-1000 less per head on breds or pairs around here... Hoping to buy a few in Jan at the monthly cow sale if people are feeling the pinch with hay... especially if we get colder and get some snow to where they are eating alot and people north of here can't find hay.

You might be the smart one with your prices the way they are...
Still have...
Rocket
Ditto
Bessie (yep, she's dry)
Seven

3 crossbreds no names!! Wow huh?
You down to just 7 head? WOW! Did you sell the gold colored cow and the black one with the white sides?
Sold the gold cow.
White sides is Mama. Bessies first calf.
She belongs to my neighbor and needs to go back home!

Last edited:
Plan too sell some Tuesday at the last sale of the year. We got a good 3 day soaking rain last week. The wheat is growing. Plan to sell some cull cows and some weaned calves. Stockers are selling good. Feeders are still down. Will sell more in January

Sold some steers Friday... group of 14 weighed 557 average.... brought 310.50... so 1729 a head... Sold 2 larger steers, weighed 677 brought 254... so 1720..... sold a group of 7 weighed 599 brought 283.... so 1694... Not fancy, just good "hard" weaned and vacc black steers...
Didn't gross anymore for the bigger ones than the smaller ones....a few more weeks in the 2 heavier ones, weaned off cows that calved a little sooner, so a few weeks older... and 1
565 lb bat sh!t nut case heifer... NICE looking calf but totally looney tunes... out of one of the friendliest cows.... brought 2.45... almost 1400 . Went across the bunk feeder and the conveyor into the steer pen and tried to run us over... has been high headed from way back... put her on the truck with the steers... done with that idiot...

Yep, don't mean I have to write any though....
Actually looking for some old "one and done's" to put out to pasture after they calve... we are probably going to sell another group of 15 or so steers this friday with the way prices are. probably 6-7 wts... .. I had 3 steers in the ones that got sold last week and 4 more steers at the farm to be sold, plus a half dozen heifers are mine... "my cow money" to spend or not...
Not buying any of the high priced ones... would take too many years to "pay for themselves"... with the way prices are overall... but will be interesting to see what they bring. It is only 1/2 hour from home so just a hop skip and a jump to go...

It's not looking like I'm gonna be buying much of anything, especially with slaughter prices so high.

Neighbor sold 2 bulls that weighed over a ton. $1.39 and $1.38lb

Cows ain't quite that far along yet. But I've seen some high yielding ones bring near that!

It's not looking like I'm gonna be buying much of anything, especially with slaughter prices so high.

Neighbor sold 2 bulls that weighed over a ton. $1.39 and $1.38lb

Cows ain't quite that far along yet. But I've seen some high yielding ones bring near that!
Did you find a bull Murray?

Latest posts