Do red hides get discounted?

Help Support CattleToday:

Personally I'd like to see people using any homozygous black bull that will produce higher weaning weights, better carcasses, and better replacement cows than angus... and let the CAB people compete against THOSE black hides. It's easy enough to do.
What, or who, is CAB people? Don't know of any better cows than Angus...some as good maybe..... but yeah, there are Chi-Angus, and Brangus, and the Continental breeds crossed with Angus..Simmental, Limousine, and a few others that can produce black calves that can qualify for CAB certification. What is your point? I'd guess that maybe 15-20% of carcasses attaining one of the Angus certifications is full blood Angus. How does a person, compete against a hide? Like most of yours, this post makes no sense.

Started my herd with three HerefordxHolstein bottle calves when I graduated high school. These made great cows. Such bottle calves are rare today, as are folks milking 5-10 cows for local cheese plants. We have fewer than 90 dairy farms now in the entire state.
What state, Mule?

I just wasted 30 minutes…..

randyalexander, to my knowledge, these were the highest selling calves for their weight in our province this fall. They aren't all black!
Your time is appreciated. Obviously the photos were taken earlier in the fall. I am sure it has been discussed ad infinitim (sp) on
these pages but it is hard for me to grasp selling at such a light weight. [Unless of course it is a one and done venture with the cows
and weight on the cow would be worth more at less expense than putting pounds on the calf.] I also realize a cow can get by on
a lesser quality roughage all things considered. Not sure if you have time and temperament to put up with hunters and tourists
(I know I don't} but I know of a few who do ok with it. ( The insurance would scare the beJesus out of me). In keeping with the forum
topic I would think you have enough numbers to overcome the color issue and it would appear it is not the issue it is here at the time.
thanks again

What, or who, is CAB people? Don't know of any better cows than Angus...some as good maybe..... but yeah, there are Chi-Angus, and Brangus, and the Continental breeds crossed with Angus..Simmental, Limousine, and a few others that can produce black calves that can qualify for CAB certification. What is your point? I'd guess that maybe 15-20% of carcasses attaining one of the Angus certifications is full blood Angus. How does a person, compete against a hide? Like most of yours, this post makes no sense.
Oh... the sock puppet warbles...

If I use really small words and speak very sloooowly do you think you might suss out the vernacular? Oh, damn, there I go again... using words with syllables. Never mind, you're going on ignore along with your other persona that can't do simple math.

Your time is appreciated. Obviously the photos were taken earlier in the fall. I am sure it has been discussed ad infinitim (sp) on
these pages but it is hard for me to grasp selling at such a light weight. [Unless of course it is a one and done venture with the cows
and weight on the cow would be worth more at less expense than putting pounds on the calf.] I also realize a cow can get by on
a lesser quality roughage all things considered. Not sure if you have time and temperament to put up with hunters and tourists
(I know I don't} but I know of a few who do ok with it. ( The insurance would scare the beJesus out of me). In keeping with the forum
topic I would think you have enough numbers to overcome the color issue and it would appear it is not the issue it is here at the time.
thanks again
In parts of the country there is money to be made in generational land cycles.

thanks again
Those little calves by themselves made a $300 plus profit and I invested some money in cheaper, good quality cattle that others made mistakes with. I made a profit on those too.

Is that bad business? In my world, it is not what the calves weigh, it is how many dollars a cow will leave in your pocket.

If the market was poor those light calves would stay here until they did turn a better dollar.

LOL... not from what I've seen. Most of your Canadian cattle are my kind.

I still don't get the younger, small weaning weights but if it works for you it's what works.
Had kill cows or late calvers been worth anything the fall before there wouldn't have been so many of them. And a certain percentage were heifer's calves. Our cow herd would be lucky to average 1150 lbs across the board and we have found more performance just costs more money to produce.

As mentioned earlier, their mothers made us a profit, the little calves brought double what their mothers were worth in fall 2021 and those that did not catch up brought 30 cents more this fall.
We try to do things that make us money, sometimes they work!

Yes, there is a condition found in "white" animals. albinism. Albinos are not "white" per se....there are absent of any pigment, skin as well as hair. And there ARE white animals. Their hair has white pigment,
The only mammals that see color are the primates, like us.
Other mammals see various shades or grey and mostly blue.
Still waiting for a single article,scientific research , or similar to support any single one of these.
All the attacks and threats against me aren't going to change the fact that the statements aren't supported by science.
If it was I am sure that of the 100 if not thousand of articles ,scientific research ect that have been written in the last few decades I am sure they could find something from scientific research ect that supports it.

Latest posts