Do red hides get discounted?

Help Support CattleToday:

No - WE are talking about NORMAL coat colors. YOU are talking about mutations. The article you gave us for your example (did you read it??) says: "and neither of her confirmed parents were carriers of the recessive red gene traditionally responsible for producing Red & White Holsteins."
They found a NEW red gene that is a mutation. The Simmentals have a "Wild Gene" that gives our red cattle black around the eyes, nose, tail". It has absolutely nothing to do with the NORMAL recessive red coat color gene.

I had to dig back through this thread to find this part about the black around the eyes, nose, tail. I couldn't find any examples to compare but I was wondering if this may be what you're talking about?

She is dark around the mouth? Or do you mean something different?

537FCB14-4B4B-4C98-8588-C5B53DF33EF0.jpeg

Gotcha. This one is the only one I have out of my group that is dark around the mouth and it got me wondering. She looks different and is the biggest and I can pick her out of my group of reds that all pretty much look the same.

They are all registered red angus and I have the papers but i KNOW the guy has had simmentals as well or still does. It wouldn't bother me but it did make me curious If something wasn't slipped in there. Lol.

Nothing slipped in there, chaded. Black points in Red Angus are not uncommon... not preferred by most breeders, but the breed standard allows for black pigment on up to two of the following three: Muzzle(nose), eyes, anus. This black pigment - particularly if present on the muzzle, suggests that those animals may be carrying one copy of the wild-type Extension gene.

Nothing slipped in there, chaded. Black points in Red Angus are not uncommon... not preferred by most breeders, but the breed standard allows for black pigment on up to two of the following three: Muzzle(nose), eyes, anus. This black pigment - particularly if present on the muzzle, suggests that those animals may be carrying one copy of the wild-type Extension gene.

What is the Extension gene and how might it be expressed?

I sold 3 heifers on Wednesday that all sold together. They averaged 467 pounds and sold for $1.95. Two were black and one was red. Same sale a black heifer with a lot of ear weighing 410 sold for the one and only bid of $1.10. Not a thing wrong with her other than the ear. Not much discount for red calves but eared cattle get a huge discount.

I sold 3 heifers on Wednesday that all sold together. They averaged 467 pounds and sold for $1.95. Two were black and one was red. Same sale a black heifer with a lot of ear weighing 410 sold for the one and only bid of $1.10. Not a thing wrong with her other than the ear. Not much discount for red calves but eared cattle get a huge discount.
You are in cold country, right? Color doesn't affect survival in the cold, but loose skin can. I had a neighbor in Arkansas that lost a really nice 1500+ pound purebred Brahma bull in a cold snap.
Or it could just be that you don't see a lot of ear and people are reluctant to try things they don't see normally.