fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Yellow Pine and White Pine are distinctly different, and I've never heard of calling a Yellow pine from the northern end of the range a White Pine. Southern Yellow Pine from the deep south is denser, in my opinion, than that from the northern end of the range. SYP is hardwood, White Pine is softwood.

How to know how much torque has been applied to a line of barbed wire? I'm using a 2 ton come-along to pull wire. Each pull is no more than 200 yards. I'm wondering if it's even possible to over stretch or even break 12.5 ga high carbon wire with that small of a come-long. I have read stories of barbed wire snapping and wrapping someone along the line like a cocoon. Is that even real? How do you know when to stop cranking the come-along?

Thanks.

It doesn't take much to break 12.5ga low carbon with a come-along. Just think, we stretch 9 wire high tensile field fence with only 2 of them! (And we use one tons)

I think the break strength on the low carbon barb we use is 930lbs. Some specifications call for the barb wire to be pre stretched and then let off, or it will go slack over time. The BC agricultural fencing handbook mentions this.

"During manufacture, two strands of wire are "twisted" together to form a single, double strand wire but these are not always pulled tightly together. For this reason, when constructing a fence using two strand barbed wire the two strands must be prestretched or pretensioned to ensure the fence wire performs as a single unit, not as two separate wires. This involves tensioning the wire up to about 600 pounds and then relaxing to the normal wire tension of 250 pounds before stapling. Failure to pretension two-strand barbed wire will result in loose fence wires a year or two after construction."

"Barbed wire is also manufactured from high tensile (ht) steel in either one or two strands. Two strand 15½ ga. ht barbed wire has the same breaking strength but about one half the weight of common barbed wire. "

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indu ... es-fencing

Use 14 gauge Tornado and never look back. Toughest customer I've ever had likes it, and that's saying something. Stop cranking when you can't crank anymore, and it'll be tight enough. Barbs are long and sharp enough to do some good, too.

Knocked out a little dab at home yesterday. Been needing done for a while. The tip and trick? Learn all you can from everyone you meet, sort out the bull shyt and retain the good information. I probably used things I'd learned from a hundred people, and it didn't turn out half bad. The other tip is, build it the day before the bulls bust into the cows 60 days early. :bang:

Turkeybird":3rmr3oxf said:
Best place to buy galvanized posts?

I have a pretty good deal with my supplier, and can cover the majority of the Eastern half of the US. Delivery is cheap, and only 1,000 pounds per order is required.

Farm Fence Solutions":vlscibp2 said:
Turkeybird":vlscibp2 said:

I have a pretty good deal with my supplier, and can cover the majority of the Eastern half of the US. Delivery is cheap, and only 1,000 pounds per order is required.
Are the galvanized post sold by the pound, or piece?

True Grit Farms":1d48cztl said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1d48cztl said:
Turkeybird":1d48cztl said:

Are the galvanized post sold by the pound, or piece?

We pay for them and sell them by the foot.

FFS,
I have seen Tornado mostly used in South and Central America (on YT chanels), but I have never seen a roll at a coop or Tractor Supply here in Texas. Is that brand sold only through whole sellers?

libertygarden":114vwx9s said:
FFS,
I have seen Tornado mostly used in South and Central America (on YT chanels), but I have never seen a roll at a coop or Tractor Supply here in Texas. Is that brand sold only through whole sellers?

We only market through experienced Fence builders. Tornado is a premium product, and it really doesn't add any value if not installed to its potential. That makes marketing through a discount box store an avenue that doesn't interest us. Call me Fence is your Texas connection for Tornado and Gripple products, and of course I'll be glad to answer any questions if Fence is unavailable.

Farm Fence Solutions":1npt02x0 said:
libertygarden":1npt02x0 said:
FFS,

We only market through experienced Fence builders. Tornado is a premium product, and it really doesn't add any value if not installed to its potential. That makes marketing through a discount box store an avenue that doesn't interest us. Call me Fence is your Texas connection for Tornado and Gripple products, and of course I'll be glad to answer any questions if Fence is unavailable.

As long as I gotta signal I'm available.....254-258-9868 rings the phone in my pocket.... call anytime.
Come by anytime.
Good luck with email though....lol

I have right at 4 miles of fence to build this winter on some new farms I bought. What do I need to do to get a role of this magical tornado wire to sample? I've never even heard of it except for on here. Normally I use 12.5 gauge ok brand, but I've been disappointed with the quality of the newer stuff. I built 1/4 mile a couple weeks ago, out of 6 roles 3 of them were to short to reach the post. One of them was 60+ foot short. I measured it with a measuring wheel, so I know it wasn't my math and 3 of the roles reached perfectly. Also there was several feet the barbs were pulled together.
What is the price on this tornado wire?
Feel free to pm me.

T & B farms":1c1w3r0m said:
I have right at 4 miles of fence to build this winter on some new farms I bought. What do I need to do to get a role of this magical tornado wire to sample? I've never even heard of it except for on here. Normally I use 12.5 gauge ok brand, but I've been disappointed with the quality of the newer stuff. I built 1/4 mile a couple weeks ago, out of 6 roles 3 of them were to short to reach the post. One of them was 60+ foot short. I measured it with a measuring wheel, so I know it wasn't my math and 3 of the roles reached perfectly. Also there was several feet the barbs were pulled together.
What is the price on this tornado wire?
Feel free to pm me.

You can call me or Fence anytime. My cell # is 812-798-4604. You can catch the boss at 844-48-FENCE. Easy enough to send you a roll, but the shipping is a killer on a roll or two. I'm headed to OK to deliver a post driver in 6 weeks or so, and could possibly swing by.

Farm Fence Solutions":2m3xgg1m said:
libertygarden":2m3xgg1m said:
FFS,

What's the suggested method of tightening the fixed knot tornado

Turkeybird":3okicc6y said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3okicc6y said:
libertygarden":3okicc6y said:
FFS,

What's the suggested method of tightening the fixed knot tornado

It depends on the situation. I like a gut strain(tie the ends and pull to the middle) most of the time. An end strain works fine too. With an end strain, I like my net board on the fence side of the strain post, and pull to that post. Then, if you over-tension just an inch or so, you can just tie off and let the slack absorb into the run of fence. If you set your stretcher bar past the end post, you have to use something to hold each line wire as you cut and strip it to tie off. With wood posts, this is the common place to hard staple, which won't even come close to holding HT net wire that's tight. Hopefully that all makes a little sense. I've only finished my first pot of coffee this morning.

Been steetching mine , from end with 3pt wire u roller/stretcher on tractor, seems I was missing something

I was out with the kid this morning and happened on this fence corner. This is how you build a corner where you can't dig a hole.

Dave":2tvv3i1c said:
I was out with the kid this morning and happened on this fence corner. This is how you build a corner where you can't dig a hole.

Called Rock Jack's. Very common in eastern/central Oregon. Non climb wire and t posts are being used to build them today.

Latest posts