fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

fence_it":17imh9t3 said:
Dave":17imh9t3 said:
I was out with the kid this morning and happened on this fence corner. This is how you build a corner where you can't dig a hole.

Called Rock Jack's. Very common in eastern/central Oregon. Non climb wire and t posts are being used to build them today.
A real fence builder just drives the post, and if need be they have a jackhammer, I've seen the videos.

True Grit Farms":6ufg26xp said:
fence_it":6ufg26xp said:
Dave":6ufg26xp said:
I was out with the kid this morning and happened on this fence corner. This is how you build a corner where you can't dig a hole.

Called Rock Jack's. Very common in eastern/central Oregon. Non climb wire and t posts are being used to build them today.
A real fence builder just drives the post, and if need be they have a jackhammer, I've seen the videos.

I have built lots of rock jacks and I have run a couple jack hammers. I am not sure which is harder work. I have seen rock jacks built in all kinds of ways. Lumber, wire, seen one place where they welded up a bunch of old trailer frame into a box. I built one last winter out of 5 old truck tires wired to a couple of tee posts and filled with rock.

Dave":x5bmfutj said:
True Grit Farms":x5bmfutj said:
fence_it":x5bmfutj said:

I have built lots of rock jacks and I have run a couple jack hammers. I am not sure which is harder work. I have seen rock jacks built in all kinds of ways. Lumber, wire, seen one place where they welded up a bunch of old trailer frame into a box. I built one last winter out of 5 old truck tires wired to a couple of tee posts and filled with rock.

Pretty common around here. I've never built one but I've pushed many over.
We call em Yankee stacks . I'll post some pics later...

For a 7 strand "New Zealand" fence, what would be optimal wire spacing/configuration? Mixed animals, I believe cattle, goats, sheep. I'm thinking 4 wires hot, 3 cold. Wire spacing:
6" cold
12" hot
18" cold
26" hot
36" hot
46" cold
56" hot

Anybody have any input?

For that mix of animals I always ran a 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 40, 50.

fence_it":2dx7v46t said:
For a 7 strand "New Zealand" fence, what would be optimal wire spacing/configuration? Mixed animals, I believe cattle, goats, sheep. I'm thinking 4 wires hot, 3 cold. Wire spacing:
6" cold
12" hot
18" cold
26" hot
36" hot
46" cold
56" hot

Anybody have any input?

842-12, or even 842-24 if you are packing in materials on your back, with a hot wire on top. Problem solved with less labor. Fence works with weeds in it. The Kiwis had it right with HT wire 40 some years ago, but then they gave up on fence wire innovation.

Farm Fence Solutions":9hwuqwnz said:
fence_it":9hwuqwnz said:
6" cold
12" hot
18" cold
26" hot
36" hot
46" cold
56" hot

Anybody have any input?

842-12, or even 842-24 if you are packing in materials on your back, with a hot wire on top. Problem solved with less labor. Fence works with weeds in it. The Kiwis had it right with HT wire 40 some years ago, but then they gave up on fence wire innovation.

I agree 100%. But people want what they want unfortunately.

fence_it":304v8079 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":304v8079 said:
fence_it":304v8079 said:
6" cold
12" hot
18" cold
26" hot
36" hot
46" cold
56" hot

Anybody have any input?

I agree 100%. But people want what they want unfortunately.

Yep, but a wise Texan once told me that the customer is never right. I took his advice and started telling them no on the junk I didn't want to build, politely, of course. All but one made it back around to see things differently. It really ain't a bad plan, especially if you're bussier than you want anyhow.

i ran a bunch of this 24" spacing 36" high HT net wire.. it would work pretty dang good hot. I ran a barb 6" off the ground.. then a few inches past that I put the HT net.. then another 2 barbs over the top.

Farm Fence Solutions":l377hjd0 said:
fence_it":l377hjd0 said:
Got 'er did. At least the first part. Should hold stock with some juice running through it.

As long as they don't walk around the end. lol Looks good.

:lol: Knew someone was gonna say that. It comes up to a creek. Got to do a creek crossing. I stuck my marker stick out in it and its about 4 feet deep! :eek:

fence_it":1dryvw2w said:
What is everyone's preferred wood post insulator? Currently using fin tubes.

Flat backs for slip ons, heavy nail on claw insulators with stainless screws for barbed and coated wire, screw ins for stand off wire. Spiralators for when the help can't count.

Reading that report a number of years ago is what really motivated me to spread a few hedge balls in local ravines every year (still in the native growing area). Hopefully someday I won't have to drive several counties away to get my wood posts!

I'd like to get 40-50 arrow straight 9-10' with 10"+ tops delivered in central Iowa along I-35 for $30/ea if anyone wants to make some gas money on a trip up North.

i've cut some nice osage posts about 10 years ago.. heavy posts. I let them dry for 2 years and put them in some dry soil. I bet they'll last forever.

Bad thing is its hard to find them straight. They like to grow together and twist all over.

Latest posts